The PS4's DVD upscaling looks impressive!

Marcus96

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I just thought I would start a thread on this as I can't seem to find any other thread on here regarding the PS4's upscaling capabilities of standard definition DVD's, nor is there much about this on the internet in general.

And that is that regarding how great I think standard definition discs look when played back on Sony's Playstation 4. I have always kept my PS3 in my setup for a while, simply because it was always said to be a really good DVD and Blu-ray player, where everybody kept harping on about how good the PS3 can handle upscaling of DVD's, however I personally have to disagree. Until I experienced what the PS4 is truly cable of regarding how it handles standard definition discs, I would do almost anything to not watch a standard definition DVD, it was Blu-ray or nothing. The picture quality was OK at the best, but far from anything that would blow me away, and that goes for the PS3 and a dedicated Sony BDP-S5500 Blu-ray player I tried temporarily.

With the PS4 on the other hand, I am actually very impressed regarding how standard DVD's look. I was simply a Blu-ray convert that would no longer have anything to do with standard definition DVD's anymore. I simply found them no fun to watch. Until I one day walked into my brothers bedroom and thought that he was watching a Blu-ray, but when I asked him whether he was watching it on Blu-ray or HD Netflix, he said that it wasn't. It was just an ordinary DVD! But then again, I was at stood at the door, which was meters from the TV screen, which is only a 27 inch FHD monitor. So I moved right close to the screen and could see that there was some upscaling going on, but I've knew that a DVD could look so good!

After that, I really decided to put it to the test, by playing back a DVD in my PS4, on an 84" FHD projection screen! I was still very impressed regarding how good the DVD looked. Fair enough, it doesn't look as good as a Blu-ray movie or 1080p Netflix that absolutely blows you away, but it is most certainly the best I have ever seen a DVD look. Good enough for me to be able to comfortably watch a DVD on a large format projection screen like I have in my setup, to where I don't have to immediately replace the DVD with the Blu-ray version of the film, or be embarrassed to show up my setup by poor a quality source image.

That's my view, so what do you guys think of SD DVD playback on your PS4 consoles?

Stopped buying dvds years ago. We're 2 steps further on from that now.

Likewise. Although I still have a ton of them.

Same. Tonnes of DVD's in the collection and handfuls of Blu-ray's (some of which are 3D). No 4K Blu-ray movies as of yet though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom