The PS4 is it worth buying now and what should I get as well?

Sonic67

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have a PS3 and a Vita at the moment.

I love my PS3. It has a 1Tb hard drive and I've filled it with music, videos and games. Can I do this with the PS4?

Also I want to play Fallout 4. Am I better off with the PC version?

What peripherals and accessories are worth getting?

Really any advice for a newbie?

I have a PS3 and a Vita at the moment.

I love my PS3. It has a 1Tb hard drive and I've filled it with music, videos and games. Can I do this with the PS4?

Yes, but there is no backwards compatibility for games, ie you can't play PS3 games on PS4.

What peripherals and accessories are worth getting?

None are essential aside from the controller, a lot of people get the headset and some get the camera. VR is coming, at some point.

Really any advice for a newbie?

Free games every month on PS4 if you subscribe to PS+. And PS+ is mandatory if you want to play online, which is one of the biggest differences from PS3.

Also I want to play Fallout 4. Am I better off with the PC version?

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. Console versions of FO4 are playing like a low to mid end PC, and of course there will be a much bigger scope for mods on PC.

Yes, but there is no backwards compatibility for games, ie you can't play PS3 games on PS4.
No problem with that. The PS3 will be shunted to one side but not quite gone yet.

Yes, without a shadow of a doubt.
Crap. I had a look at what would be a decent gaming PC and it tends to be around a grand. So either I build a shuttle PC to fit under the TV or it's the PS4.

Take a look at Eurogamer's budget PC guide - they're running FO4 on it and it runs well (ie better than consoles). Console-beating performance for £350.

The Digital Foundry 2015 budget gaming PC guide

Though the issue always is trying to stick to the more basic components when the shinier stuff catches your eye... :)

Of course fallout 4 is getting 9's from many reviewers of the console version too, so while the PC offers the best performance, the console version is by no means a write off. If you're looking for a simpler upgrade route from PS3 and looking to play fallout 4, PS4 will not be a bad route.

I'm sure if you shop around and build yourself you'll get a PC on par with PS4, but I recall asking about a graphics card for our PC recently and the first suggestion was a gfx card costing over £260, that's just for the graphics card :D

You'll get a PS4 + a game or two for less than £300 in the run up to Christmas. A £350 PC IMHO won't last you long before you need to pump more cash into it. I'd be looking at £700 or more if you were dipping your toe into PC and then as Kav says, it won't be long before you're looking at better CPU, gfx and memory specs and you've popped the grand mark ;)

Unless your a really big hardcore gamer , and have the time and money to spend , then take a look at PC gaming , as @Toasty and @kav have said ,it's a bottomless pit once you start ,
i for one can vouch for this, this last year i got into PC gaming , and and haven't stop spending money and i must of spent well over £1500 on PC parts but this has given me two gaming PC's ( one just get used as a HTPC )
PC parts can be very expensive once you start , and yes just a graphix card alone can cost the same as ps4 if not more.
but if your just a casual gamer then pick up the ps4 , and coming from the ps3 , the graphic will look tones better than the ps3 so you won't be disappointed .

Is the PS4 worth buying now?

To me it's always been worth buying. I bought it at launch and now have two of them (as my son tended to take over the other one!). I also have an XB1 (which gets a lot of use) and a Wii U (which doesn't get much use now). I've still got a PS3 kicking about with 100's of games on it, but it hasn't really been played since the PS4 came out. Gaming PCs are great and you can get a decent gaming machine for around £500, which will comfortably beat the consoles. I must admit though, whilst I can easily afford PC gaming (I'm actually in the process of buying a £2k+ top end iMac, which will play games if required), I do really like the PS4 and XB1 as all round gaming and media devices.

If you look at the graphic comparison of FO4 on the PC, PS4 and XB1, then there's little in it. Sure you can get a nice stable 60fps on the PC, but for the large part, playing on a TV, you will not notice the difference playing the 30fps PS4 version. There are some framerate dips in battles, but this is largely felt to be due to optimisation as the XB1 version (which generally doesn't run quite as well as the PS4 version) has had these sequences better optimised.

If you want to play say FO4 at 4k with all the bells and whistles and a 60fps stable frame rate, then you will need a pretty decent PC to be fair. If you buy a £400-£500 PC, then you will get slightly better performance than the consoles, but it's not like you will say, wow, this is like playing a different game. In general gameplay, you won't really notice the difference between the two versions.

..and what should I get as well?

I wouldn't really bother with the camera. I got one at launch and haven't really used it. I don't even have it connected anymore. I'd get at least another pad if you are wanting local multiplayer and I would upgrade the HDD to a 2tb one (only costs about £60). I've upgraded both of mine and it means that I just don't run out of space and can have loads of games installed.

I presume you have PS+, but if not, then buy that as well. Shopto have a good deal at the moment where you buy it for £30 and get a £5 PSN voucher free as well.

Next year we have Playstation VR releasing, which should be great. I also bought a PSTV and whilst this works quite well via homeplugs, it doesn't really get used now.

Hope that helps.

I'd be looking at £700 or more if you were dipping your toe into PC and then as Kav says, it won't be long before you're looking at better CPU, gfx and memory specs and you've popped the grand mark ;)

Yeah definitely wouldn't dispute that, as @Toasty and @sykotik say it's very easy to get afflicted by upgraditis, a nasty condition that causes pleasurable visual experiences as it simultaneously sucks the life out of your bank account. :)

Though a budget PC is an option, I would definitely agree that you would be better investing a bit more for the long term - a decent motherboard and CPU would mean you could get a couple of GPU upgrades in before needing to replace the lot.

@CAS FAN agree broadly with your points but really can't agree that there isn't much difference between console and PC for the Fallout games. I've played well over 1000 hours on F3 and New Vegas on the 360 and the PC, and PC versions aren't just slightly better, they are substantially better, even if you don't have a top end PC. Whether it's stability of frame rate, mods, graphical enhancements, or straightforward configuration like being able to alter FOV, the PC version is leagues ahead of consoles.

I wouldn't normally be so defensive of the whole PC vs console thing but Fallout/TES games are without a doubt far superior games even on a midrange rig, in comparison to their console counterparts.

With that in mind, I'd ask Sonic if his main purpose for buying a PS4 is to play FO4, or if it's more general than that. If he wants a great gaming machine on which he can play a serviceable edition of FO4, as well as continuing to do the stuff he used his PS3 for, he should go with a PS4. On the other hand, if he wants something primarily to play FO4, he'd be better off upgrading to a GTX970 for £250 (assuming his board can take it) and getting it for his PC.

Better still, do both. :D

Yeah, that's my issue with a budget PC, it may be on par or hold 1080/60fps more often than current consoles, they're not going to offer good performance of AAA games running on higher settings, so the wow factor above a console isn't really there. Although, good if you fancy the steam route.

If you have PS+ on your PS3 currently, make sure you're adding/"buying" the free PS4 games each month too, that will give you an instant library to play if you get PS4.

Edit: Just read Kavs comments and my comments above are related to a budget PC, I think a budget PC would struggle with FO4, however, mid range and certainly higher will be much better on PC than console..

I think F4 has been really optimised to work really well in lower end cards tbh (it should do in fairness the engine is that old). People with mid range cards are reporting max settings at a smooth 60fps.

Yes the PS4 is well worth it for the reasons covered. Take a look over in the PC section if you are serious about PC gaming. Whilst the hardware is more expensive the games are cheap so over the lifetime it does even out. Its the initial hit and you don't need to upgrade every 5 min that it optional, especially if done right[emoji4]

@CAS FAN agree broadly with your points but really can't agree that there isn't much difference between console and PC for the Fallout games. I've played well over 1000 hours on F3 and New Vegas on the 360 and the PC, and PC versions aren't just slightly better, they are substantially better, even if you don't have a top end PC. Whether it's stability of frame rate, mods, graphical enhancements, or straightforward configuration like being able to alter FOV, the PC version is leagues ahead of consoles.

Not really fair to compare a last gen console against a PC. PC is undoubtedly the way to go for the optimal experience but PS4 against a same price range PC there won't be leagues of difference surely?

Not really fair to compare a last gen console against a PC. PC is undoubtedly the way to go for the optimal experience but PS4 against a same price range PC there won't be leagues of difference surely?
You may struggle to get a PC for 300 that's as good as the PS4. You need to be spending more than that to certainly beat it.

just for my own 2 cents.

its soon Black friday and cyber monday, last year there were some good deals to had on consoles. So wait till then, then take the plunge.
regarding PS3 games, whilst I never had a PS3 and have not used the service, there is the Playstation Now, where you can play / stream old PS3 games to your PS4. As I said I have notn used it and I presume this would be dependent on your internet speed, but does give you more scope.

PS Now is expensive atm, if Sonic keeps his PS3, that's the best way to maintain backward compatibility, however, if he's anything like me, you get caught up in the catalogue on your new platform and going back a step gets less and less interesting. A lot of the critically acclaimed games from PS3 have been re-mastered for PS4, so that's a nice way of catching up on things you may have missed, with a lick of paint thrown in as a bonus.

I was comparing PC of the time with console of the time, I don't think that's unfair. The principle remains the same for current gen though - a current mid range PC will give you a far better experience on FO4 than console. Eurogamer have even built a console-beating PC for £350, which is fair to compare directly in terms of pricing etc. (That said, I would definitely choose a console over a low budget PC, IMO it wouldn’t be worth the effort to build a cheap PC vs convenience of a console. It’s really only worthwhile at midrange and above.)

I was comparing PC of the time with console of the time, I don't think that's unfair. The principle remains the same for current gen though - a current mid range PC will give you a far better experience on FO4 than console. Eurogamer have even built a console-beating PC for £350, which is fair to compare directly in terms of pricing etc. (That said, I would definitely choose a console over a low budget PC, IMO it wouldn’t be worth the effort to build a cheap PC vs convenience of a console. It’s really only worthwhile at midrange and above.)

Agreed, if I were in your shoes, would go with a PC and add to it over the next year or two to upgrade. Build a budget one for now, maybe max out on the motherboard and add additional things when budget allows like gpu, raw etc.
You would have more flexibility and more choice of games!

Were you comparing a PC that cost the same to build as a 360? That would be fair, I rather suspect that your PC cost a lot more than your 360.

I get your point though and am not disagreeing that a gaming PC will always be better for gaming than a console. Just only if you are prepared to and can afford to buy and upgrade over time.

Oh yes, buyer beware, just as an example, a cheap PSU won't last you long and while I'm sure its possible to build a £350 gaming PC, who is going to use that long term in reality? Simplistically that's £100 each for CPU / GFX / Memory then £50 for everything else, shudder..

Were you comparing a PC that cost the same to build as a 360? That would be fair, I rather suspect that your PC cost a lot more than your 360.

I get your point though and am not disagreeing that a gaming PC will always be better for gaming than a console. Just only if you are prepared to and can afford to buy and upgrade over time.
What you spend more in hardware you save in game prices so it should be looked at a lifetime rather than initial hardware cost. You can get game new releases from £10-25 or plenty of £5 bargains.
Most people that upgrade do so because they constantly want the best, to max everything out in the settings you don't necessarily need to do that, but PC gaming isn't for everyone and consoles fit a lot of peoples needs.

What you spend more in hardware you save in game prices so it should be looked at a lifetime rather than initial hardware cost. You can get game new releases from £10-25 or plenty of £5 bargains.

Do you really? Over, say, a 5-7 year console lifespan? The Eurogamer PC build highlighted very well that it was only possible to play some of the newer games if they were 'hacked' (IDK what this means but I'm assuming it means that they don't work out the box) So I'm guessing that in a few years you have to spend more money updating your hardware so it can run these further optimised games.

I agree with the rest of your post though. It's horses for courses at the end of the day.

Best but most expensive option = PC
Decent but cheap option = Console

Do you really? Over, say, a 5-7 year console lifespan? The Eurogamer PC build highlighted very well that it was only possible to play some of the newer games if they were 'hacked' (IDK what this means but I'm assuming it means that they don't work out the box) So I'm guessing that in a few years you have to spend more money updating your hardware so it can run these further optimised games.

I agree with the rest of your post though. It's horses for courses at the end of the day.

Best but most expensive option = PC
Decent but cheap option = Console

I believe in doing it right first time so look to a higher end rather than lower end, personally speaking. Also, its highly relative to an individual and their habits. If you only buy a few games a year then no, your far better with a console but if you buy a fair few or the average then yes. The last cycle was 7-8 years and if I remember right I think @kav actually put down some rough figures?. Its just that most people just look at the initial hardware cost, which I totally get. Not everybody can justify that initial outlay versus the impulse price of a console and its what suits your needs at the end of the day.

PC v console debate is general in one thing, but specifically in relation to FO3 and NV it is absolutely fair to say that they ran like utter dog poop on consoles. Didn't stop them being fun but they were, at times, borderline unplayable.

On the other hand they ran pretty well on PC out the box, but were massive enhanced by mods. Fallout (and Skyrim) games were infinitely better experiences on PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom