The PS3 Backwards Compatability Thread - Abandon hope, all ye' who enter here..

GAZBEROTTEN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Couldn't of said this any better myself. Not only are Sony trying to charge people to rebuy games they already own but they are also releasing the exact same games on PSN which are PS2 games which just play on the PS3. Yet people with the original PS2 games on dvd disc cant????

:smashin::smashin:

I agree with this guy completely :p

This video response nailed it on the head

Now those are some games that need PS3 sequels to

No, not really...:laugh:
And what's with that idiot's "Mr. X" voice..makes him sound more stupid..

... bit of a broken record.

Yip.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. As said in your previous similar rant threads. If you want to play PS2 games so badly go buy a PS2. I bought a PS3 to play the next generation of games. Not the previous generation.

I recently seen Vice City and San Andreas on the PC. Absolutely terrible looking games and although good at the time I just wouldnt bother now.

This video response nailed it on the head

Message To Sony Computer Entertainment - YouTube

Sounds very familiar. Unfortunately you've closed your GAZBEROTTEN youtube account so i couldnt put up a comparision of the 2 talking styles as well as the excellent PSEYE video you made. ;)

Last edited:
I have never understood why people feel the need to video themselves in their pokey and cramped bedrooms having a rant, swearing and getting worked up about the most trivial of things. Idiot.

I have never understood why people feel the need to video themselves in their pokey and cramped bedrooms having a rant, swearing and getting worked up about the most trivial of things. Idiot.

He's got some sexual tension :p

Yip.

No one is forcing you to buy anything. As said in your previous similar rant threads. If you want to play PS2 games so badly go buy a PS2. I bought a PS3 to play the next generation of games. Not the previous generation.

I recently seen Vice City and San Andreas on the PC. Absolutely terrible looking games and although good at the time I just wouldnt bother now.

We have a valid complaint there is no reason for anyone to have two devices clogging up all the space not to mention having to use two separate devices and cables when they can really have the one device do the lot.

If people with PC's can play PS2 games on there PC with completely different hardware setups then there is no excuse for the PS3 not to when it was a lot more powerful than most pcs out there during its 2006 release in the UK.

The fact some of these PS2 emulators for the pc are that old and run the games fine on the pc just proves that the PS3 can run the PS2 games.

And why is it Sony sell you PS2 games on PSN which you can play yet you cant play the exact same game on DVD which you have. Its reading data exactly the same on a DVD disc i understand.

I will not be purchasing a Playstation 4 unless Sony gives us full backwards compatibility with all Playstation Brand Games and actually make developers use the full potential of the Playstation 3 and 4. They have no excuse not to. Even PSP games should be playable on the PS4 as the costs of the PS2, PS3 and PSP will of dropped down dramatically when the PS4 hits

Yes Sony is the best when it comes to games/software but unless they make the PS4 Playstation Branded Games compatible with it then the only people buying the console will be either rich kids parents or people with money to burn.

I think the PS4 will be backwards compatible with PS3 physical media but that will be it.

The rest will be downloadable as its leaning that way now.

TBH if you want to play PS2 games on a PS4 you want your head seeing too. I dont know anyone who would want to be a next gen console so they can play old games. I buy a next gen console to play next gen games and media. The iPhone outdoes most of these old games anyway!!!

BTW if thats what you want thats fine. Your entitled to have your own thoughts.

I agree with chalky tbh I didn't buy the PS3 to play PS1 or PS2 games yeah some of the PS2 games are good but its not the end of the world. But when the PS4 comes out I would think they would have it backwards compatability with the the PS3 games

As I understand it, not all of the PS2 or PS1 games are playable on the PS3, there are problems with some, even when the 60gig launch models had hardware/software help, and now each of these games comes with an emulator, same as the PS1 games come with an emulator for their phone, the Xperia Play.
Also some people will have missed them first time round, and with the idiots on ebay et al, that hike the price up for discs, it's a chance for people to play games they missed, and reasonable prices.

Heck, even Microsoft killed off backwards compatibility and stopped the patches to play xbox games on their 360..complain about them?, No.

People need to get out more :facepalm:

If you want to play PS2 games, either buy a PS2 or pay for the games to download via the PSN store. Simples.

The whole point is they don't have to it, they can sell or not sell whatever they want.

What makes you think they must do anything to keep 0.00009% of the user base happy.

The whole point is they don't have to it, they can sell or not sell whatever they want.

What makes you think they must do anything to keep 0.00009% of the user base happy.

That high!!! :rotfl:

I think the PS4 will be backwards compatible with PS3 physical media but that will be it.

The rest will be downloadable as its leaning that way now.

TBH if you want to play PS2 games on a PS4 you want your head seeing too. I dont know anyone who would want to be a next gen console so they can play old games. I buy a next gen console to play next gen games and media. The iPhone outdoes most of these old games anyway!!!

BTW if thats what you want thats fine. Your entitled to have your own thoughts.

If you could play PS2 games on your PS4 especially if some of those games where made by bust developers wouldn't you want the ability to replay that PS2 game with HD graphics on your PS4 or even higher. The game would look a lot better play better and even loading times would be cut. If the emulators for the PC do this then theres no reason why Sony cant make that happen.:smashin:

Lets also bring up this very interesting point. The Playstation 2 Games Library is outselling the Playstation 3's games Library and even has the best sequels and titles out there. Have we seen any PS3 sequels to most of the Playstation 2 titles that where selling way beyond peoples expectations no.

Take Music 3000, Resident Evil Outbreak Files 1 and 2, Sequel to GTA Vice City Stories aka San Andreas Stories and Broken Sword 3 no sequels to those yet on the PS3. Again these are examples of some of the most popular games on PS2.

Sony have not given you any sequals to any of there most popular games from the PS2 Library. Im sure everyone wants to see a new Destruction Derby on the PS3. How much longer are we PS2 fans who moved over to the PS3 going to have to wait. We are the reason why Sony did so well during the PS2 days. We bought there products and there games yet they choose to ignore us not on now is it.

And one last fact which i know is going to upset a lot of PS3 fans is the fact that when Sony ask people what they want they use polls on there websites, email customers asking to do surveys which anyone can just vote for something or put anything down and not be questioned as to there reasons why. I could vote for something i know i don't want and it gets accepted no questions asked.

This is a serious issue and flaw especially when trolls and anti Playstation 3 users can purposely and with malicious intent vote for stuff that they know may destroy the Playstation 3's chances of succeding. Also adding to all of this Xbox 360 fans and people going over to vote for something that could affect the PS3's credibility with existing and new customers. There are no measures in place to protect abuse of the voting systems which means that Sony are being given false results and don't even know it.

Geohot got sued big time for embarrassing Sony by jailbreaking there Playstation 3 and all this nice young lad did was make the Playstation 3 do what it was supposed to do. Sony should of employed this guy and had him work on high tech stuff that Sony where struggling with big time yet they sue a guy like that.

Ever since Ken Kutargi left the Playstation brand has gone down hill to me. because had Ken of still ran the Playstation Brand none of this crap would of ever happend or been allowed to happen.Who ever the current executives are making decisions need to not have there contracts renewed or need pay cuts or sackings.

Sorry for the long rant thanks for reading

Last edited:
GAZBEROTTEN said:
If you could play PS2 games on your PS4 especially if some of those games where made by bust developers wouldn't you want the ability to replay that PS2 game with HD graphics on your PS4 or even higher. The game would look a lot better play better and even loading times would be cut. If the emulators for the PC do this then theres no reason why Sony cant make that happen.:smashin:

Lets also bring up this very interesting point. The Playstation 2 Games Library is outselling the Playstation 3's games Library and even has the best sequels and titles out there. Have we seen any PS3 sequels to most of the Playstation 2 titles that where selling way beyond peoples expectations no.

Take Music 3000, Resident Evil Outbreak Files 1 and 2, Sequel to GTA Vice City Stories aka San Andreas Stories and Broken Sword 3 no sequels to those yet on the PS3. Again these are examples of some of the most popular games on PS2.

Sony have not given you any sequals to any of there most popular games from the PS2 Library. Im sure everyone wants to see a new Destruction Derby on the PS3. How much longer are we PS2 fans who moved over to the PS3 going to have to wait. We are the reason why Sony did so well during the PS2 days. We bought there products and there games yet they choose to ignore us not on now is it.

And one last fact which i know is going to upset a lot of PS3 fans is the fact that when Sony ask people what they want they use polls on there websites, email customers asking to do surveys which anyone can just vote for something or put anything down and not be questioned as to there reasons why. I could vote for something i know i don't want and it gets accepted no questions asked.

This is a serious issue and flaw especially when trolls and anti Playstation 3 users can purposely and malicious intent vote for stuff that they know may destroy the Playstation 3's chances of succeding. Also adding to all of this Xbox 360 fans and people going over to vote for something that could affect the PS3's credibility with existing and new customers. There are no measures in place to protect abuse of the voting systems which means that Sony are being given false results and don't even know it.

Geohot got sued big time for embarrassing Sony by jailbreaking there Playstation 3 and all this nice young lad did was make the Playstation 3 do what it was supposed to do. Sony should of employed this guy and had him work on high tech stuff that Sony where struggling with big time yet they sue a guy like that.

Ever since Ken Kutargi left the Playstation brand has gone down hill to me. because had Ken of still ran the Playstation Brand none of this crap would of ever happend or been allowed to happen.Who ever the current executives are making decisions need to not have there contracts renewed or need pay cuts or sackings.

Sorry for the long rant thanks for reading

What the **** are you going on about?

Yip.

Sounds very familiar. Unfortunately you've closed your GAZBEROTTEN youtube account so i couldnt put up a comparision of the 2 talking styles as well as the excellent PSEYE video you made. ;)

You are so misguided it isn't funny. Having backwards compatibility is all about convenience. It would be like having a DVD player and a Blu-Ray player hooked up to a TV. It is much better to have ONE device that handles the function of multiple devices. I own a Launch 60GB PS3, I use it for PS2 games all the time. Just because a newer console comes out doesn't make the previous systems games obsolete. People still play PS games, N64 games, Atari 2600 Games. I own Vice City and San Andreas on PC they blow the PS2 and Xbox versions out of the water. Higher Resolutions, AA, ect.

The main issue with sony, they are selling PS2 games on PSN that run just fine on any PS3. Since they have shown this can be done, it is ****ed Up that people still can't stick a disc in and enjoy their game. This isn't a technical issue, it is a business issue. Sony just wants to make more money. Point blank. Giving excuses like "I buy a Next Gen Console to enjoy Next Gen Games, Go buy a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games" is just plain retarded.

People are upset that Sony is charging for PSP games to be downloaded on PSVita even if you have the UMD. Their PSP PassPort program is BS. Each UMD has a Unique identifier, once it is registered to a PSN account that same UMD can't be registered to another account. Since this is how it works, there is no reason for Sony to charge a fee to unlock the download.

By the way I made the first video posted in this thread.

jakthebomb

What the **** are you going on about?

I dont expect you to understand. Its possible that you only own a PS3 and not a PS2 and have limited knowledge of software and hardware. If you had a PS2 on the day of release and got to play all the awesome games and actually watched Sonys 2005 E3 announcement you would know why people make a fuss about Backwards Compatibility on the PS3. Especially those who know how software and hardware works and knows about programing or coding. You will be surprised how many people say emulation cant be done and some one out there proves these comments wrong.

Sony promised it to everyone and went back on there promise. Thats not acceptable for any business to do that. Do you not find it suspicious that PS1 games and PS3 games work on the PS3 yet PS2 games dont?

Perhaps Sony need to realise that they contradict and just make a mockery of themselves by allowing backwards compatibility for one PlayStation systems games and not the other.

Last edited:
You are so misguided it isn't funny. Having backwards compatibility is all about convenience. It would be like having a DVD player and a Blu-Ray player hooked up to a TV. It is much better to have ONE device that handles the function of multiple devices. I own a Launch 60GB PS3, I use it for PS2 games all the time. Just because a newer console comes out doesn't make the previous systems games obsolete. People still play PS games, N64 games, Atari 2600 Games. I own Vice City and San Andreas on PC they blow the PS2 and Xbox versions out of the water. Higher Resolutions, AA, ect.

The main issue with sony, they are selling PS2 games on PSN that run just fine on any PS3. Since they have shown this can be done, it is ****ed Up that people still can't stick a disc in and enjoy their game. This isn't a technical issue, it is a business issue. Sony just wants to make more money. Point blank. Giving excuses like "I buy a Next Gen Console to enjoy Next Gen Games, Go buy a PS2 if you want to play PS2 games" is just plain retarded.

People are upset that Sony is charging for PSP games to be downloaded on PSVita even if you have the UMD. Their PSP PassPort program is BS. Each UMD has a Unique identifier, once it is registered to a PSN account that same UMD can't be registered to another account. Since this is how it works, there is no reason for Sony to charge a fee to unlock the download.

jakthebomb

When you bought your PS3, was backwards compatibility an advertised feature, bar on the early models...NO, it wasn't..if you want to play your PS2 games on a PS3, then early adopting was what you would have had to do, if you didn't then tough titty.

As you point out, Sony is a business, they aren't in it to make you happy, or the other limited amount who want to play their old games.
They are in it to make a profit for their shareholders, end of.

TBH, I would rather pay for a download, and protect my disc collection, than drag them out now, or even buy second hand or scratched or overpriced version of an old favourite.

As to the PSP/Vita thing, did you buy that UMD for the Vita, again, No, so if they charge a fee, then fine, they provide the service, which you can choose not to use.

And as for Gaz pointing out sequels for old games haven't come forward, well, there have been and will be more GTA's, and some of the others you point out are dated, and not financially viable, as well as studios in their old form, not existing any more.

I own 60gig consoles, can play my ps2 games if I want, and also own a slim, but don't moan and whine when I can't play my ps2 games on my slim..Guess it's the same for other people too.

When you bought your PS3, was backwards compatibility an advertised feature, bar on the early models...NO, it wasn't..if you want to play your PS2 games on a PS3, then early adopting was what you would have had to do, if you didn't then tough titty.

As you point out, Sony is a business, they aren't in it to make you happy, or the other limited amount who want to play their old games.

TBH, I would rather pay for a download, and protect my disc collection, than drag them out now, or even buy second hand or scratched or overpriced version of an old favourite.

As to the PSP/Vita thing, did you buy that UMD for the Vita, again, No, so if they charge a fee, then fine, they provide the service, which you can choose not to use.

And as for Gaz pointing out sequels for old games haven't come forward, well, there have been and will be more GTA's, and some of the others you point out are dated, and not financially viable, as well as studios in their old form, not existing any more.

I own 60gig consoles, can play my ps2 games if I want, and also own a slim, but don't moan and whine when I can't play my ps2 games on my slim..Guess it's the same for other people too.

This is what i like about you. Fair, Respectful and polite.

Some good points you made however the current line up of games on the PS3 Library just isnt on par yet with the PS2 Librarys which is why i do not buy many games for my PS3.

Gran Turismo 5 i will applaud Sony for. Thats one game on the PS3 that is offered free major updates which improves the game further without fail, added content and some dlc chucked in. Thats fantastic support for the game and is what i like to see from Sony.

If only they did this with 70% of the games on PS3 took advantage of the Blu Ray Disc Capacity they would be getting more of my money. Even if most PS2 games wont play an emulator to play some of them isn't much to ask. It could then be improved over time when Sony saw fit and more PS2 titles could get supported.

Quite a lot of PS2 owners would jump ship to PS3 then and the consoles sales would shoot threw the roof.

I dont expect you to understand. Its possible that you only own a PS3 and not a PS2 and have limited knowledge of software and hardware. If you had a PS2 on the day of release and got to play all the awesome games and actually watched Sonys 2005 E3 announcement you would know why people make a fuss about Backwards Compatibility on the PS3. Especially those who know how software and hardware works and knows about programing or coding. You will be surprised how many people say emulation cant be done and some one out there proves these comments wrong.

Sony promised it to everyone and went back on there promise. Thats not acceptable for any business to do that. Do you not find it suspicious that PS1 games and PS3 games work on the PS3 yet PS2 games dont?

Perhaps Sony need to realise that they contradict and just make a mockery of themselves by allowing backwards compatibility for one PlayStation systems games and not the other.

Well, buy a 60gig then..you can play PS1, 2, and 3 games on it.
If you waited for a slim, then you have no right to bitch and whine, about BC.

Also, the Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesiser was key to PS2 games, not for PS1.
Guess what was removed from later PS3 revisions?
The Emotion Engine was in the US/JAP versions, but partial software emulation for cost cutting in the European, etc version.
And guess what the software emulation that the PS2 downloads provides?
Emotion Engine emulation, just like the 60gig version, wihch is missing from all the latest version.

Nope because unless it was made from the ground up like some of the remakes then it will still look awful. Not sure what makes you think they would look a lot better and play better.I've played some backwards compatible games on the PS3. And they look awful.

I'll buy a PS4 to play PS4 games.

Well, buy a 60gig then..you can play PS1, 2, and 3 games on it.
If you waited for a slim, then you have no right to bitch and whine, about BC.

Also, the Emotion Engine/Graphics Synthesiser was key to PS2 games, not for PS1.
Guess what was removed from later PS3 revisions?
The Emotion Engine was in the US/JAP versions, but partial software emulation for cost cutting in the European, etc version.
And guess what the software emulation that the PS2 downloads provides?
Emotion Engine emulation, just like the 60gig version, wihch is missing from all the latest version.

There is no emotion engine on a PC yet Pc gamers can still run PS2 games via emulation. The fact that the likes of dolphin pscx can not only run PS2 games on the PC but in HD as well via 1080P speaks volumes.

Now the PS3 is quite capable of running PS2 games with the right emulation software ill bet the maker or makers of Dolphin could do a PS3 version of this emulator.

I have a 40GB Ps3 an original Fatboy so im happy with it but all those PS2 games i paid hundreds if not thousands of pounds for wont work on a system that can clearly support it. You do not need emotion chips or emotion emulation as the maker/makers of dolphin pscx proved this.

I also have a Playstation 2 to but having to have two systems to play the games i like when it can be played on the one aka PS3 is silly to tell you the truth.

Like me I have PS2 games up in the loft somewhere and they were good back in the day but If I went to play they would be terrible.

I played MGS1 round at my mates once on the ps3 and I played it for maybe 20 minutes then went on something else for the simple fact classics can stay in the past they were good in the day but advances in technology and graphics mean imo they no longer hold me to playing the game

jakthebomb

Welcome to the forums. :hiya:

I'm not misguided btw. I have an opinion just like you do. Yes its nice to have it all in one box i agree. So you go enjoy your 60gb and PS2 gaming. :thumbsup:

I've got the whole GTA collection on PC and only GTA4 stayed on my PC. The rest just looked awful in comparison and i didnt enjoy them. Great at the time but poor now. Best left in the past.

This is what i like about you. Fair, Respectful and polite.

Some good points you made however the current line up of games on the PS3 Library just isnt on par yet with the PS2 Librarys which is why i do not buy many games for my PS3.

Gran Turismo 5 i will applaud Sony for. Thats one game on the PS3 that is offered free major updates which improves the game further without fail, added content and some dlc chucked in. Thats fantastic support for the game and is what i like to see from Sony.

If only they did this with 70% of the games on PS3 took advantage of the Blu Ray Disc Capacity they would be getting more of my money. Even if most PS2 games wont play an emulator to play some of them isn't much to ask. It could then be improved over time when Sony saw fit and more PS2 titles could get supported.

Quite a lot of PS2 owners would jump ship to PS3 then and the consoles sales would shoot threw the roof.

Well then you are missing out on some top top games.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom