The PS3 Backwards Compatability Thread - Abandon hope, all ye' who enter here..

Ken's still a senior technology advisor though, and his latest "team"(including old guard Sony's) say that something "totally cool" is on the horizon for them.

Sony has been a much better company since Phil Harrison and Ken Kugeragi left. It was them that gave Sony the Arrogant look when they launched the PS3.

Back on topic

They where more than well within there right to do so. The Playstation 1 and 2 Consoles and Brands where there best days and when they dominated the market. The Playstation 3 console and its brand though is in a mess. Sony state it does everything yet it doesn't. Removing the Backwards Compatibility was pushing it now removing linux support just made things much worse.

When the Playstation 4 hits will you let them pull Playstation 3 backwards compatibility just because you think the games are to old and outdated to play.

Whats next with the Playstation 3 remove the 3D feature on the console. With the way the Playstation 3 brand is with its removing of features from the customers console it could be heading that way.

These are all my views you don't have to like them or agree with or even read them, no one is forcing you to.

pineapple picking snail eating talking dog chewing rowntrees fruit pastille while throwing a thermaltake kandalf whilst watching keyboard cat

NO RESULTS I WIN I WIN

IS MY PRIZE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Well done for defeating Google but no, you can't have B/C, at least not on a PS3. I'm sure you'll think of some strange twisted way to play your PS2 games. There may even be solutions in this very thread.

Back on topic

wasn't it you who took it off topic by mentioning Linux, George Hotz, PSN hack, etc.?

Removing the Backwards Compatibility was pushing it now removing linux support just made things much worse.

Didn't bother me at the time, doesn't bother me now - tbh, if I wanted to mess about with linux I'd have bought a PC not a games console. I don't think I'm in the minority here.

When the Playstation 4 hits will you let them pull Playstation 3 backwards compatibility just because you think the games are to old and outdated to play.

Again it wouldn't really bother me. If the PS4 was released next year for example then it's probably going to be a couple of years after that before I'd consider buying one and by then there would probably be enough games available on the new platform that would mean I wouldn't be overly bothered about playing PS3 games. IMO, BC only helps establish a new console onto the market.

I still have a lot of PS1 games, I still have lots of PS2 games, I still have my PS2 ... but I never play them. I spend most of my spare time playing PS3 games. So what's the point having B/C on the PS3?

Whats next with the Playstation 3 remove the 3D feature on the console. With the way the Playstation 3 brand is with its removing of features from the customers console it could be heading that way.

Very doubtful due to the fact that Sony also sell 3D TVs and 3D blurays. Though TBH, I wouldn't mind if they scrapped 3D and Move - I've got no interest in either :p

These are all my views you don't have to like them or agree with or even read them, no one is forcing you to.

ditto, rightbackatcha

wasn't it you who took it off topic by mentioning Linux, George Hotz, PSN hack, etc.?

Didn't bother me at the time, doesn't bother me now - tbh, if I wanted to mess about with linux I'd have bought a PC not a games console. I don't think I'm in the minority here.

I still have a lot of PS1 games, I still have lots of PS2 games, I still have my PS2 ... but I never play them. I spend most of my spare time playing PS3 games. So what's the point having B/C on the PS3?

Very doubtful due to the fact that Sony also sell 3D TVs and 3D blurays. Though TBH, I wouldn't mind if they scrapped 3D and Move - I've got no interest in either :p

Right so if Sony remove 3D of the console while the Xbox 360 console has it this wouldn't bother you.

Funny how you never thought about the fact the Xbox 360 would have 3D while the PS3 would of had it removed.

Removing one feature is one thing but to remove one feature then another after another is a different ball game. You bought your PS3 with all the great features only to have them forcibly removed and if you refused you had no PSN access rendering all your games requiring you to be online useless.

Im sure people didn't buy the PS3 only to have features forcibly removed from them with no choice and be forced to lose there PSN access and any firmware updates the PS3 had.

Why is it that Microsoft left backwards compatibility to remain on there console never removed it or forced anyone to update and lose features but sony didn't with the PS3?.

Last edited:
Right so if Sony remove 3D of the console while the Xbox 360 console has it this wouldn't bother you.

Funny how you never thought about the fact the Xbox 360 would have 3D while the PS3 would of had it removed.

Removing one feature is one thing but to remove one feature then another after another is a different ball game. You bought your PS3 with all the great features only to have them forcibly removed and if you refused you had no PSN access rendering all your games requiring you to be online useless.

What if Sony decide to remove the CPU and GPU and Xbox don't have you thought about that.

Seriously :rolleyes:

What if Sony decide to remove the CPU and GPU and Xbox don't have you thought about that.

Seriously :rolleyes:

1. Its Sony

2. They went downhill with the PS3's problems

3. I stopped buying games for my PS3 because of all the problems that accumulated with the Playstation 3.

4. I still play GT5 from time to time but thats about it.

What are you on about? Have Sony mentioned anything about removing 3D. You're being ridiculous.

Removing one feature is one thing but to remove one feature then another after another is a different ball game.

"one feature then another after another" suggests at least 3 things. I can only think of PS2 B/C & Linux. You went too far with your "anothers".

You bought your PS3 with all the great features only to have them forcibly removed and if you refused you had no PSN access rendering all your games requiring you to be online useless.

My PS3 never had PS2 B/C, & I knew that when I bought it - didn't lose anything. Yeah, it was unfortunate that Linux went bye bye, but it affects such a small percentage of PS3 owners, it's hardly a major issue.

Why is it that Microsoft left backwards compatibility to remain on there console never removed it or forced anyone to update and lose features but sony didn't with the PS3?.

Maybe the xbox, like the 360 is a more traditional PC style architecture, & it's easier to do. I'm just speculating here, but the PS2 & PS3 are nothing like each other, or a PC.

1. Its Sony.

Stupid pointless response.

2. They went downhill with the PS3's problems.

Could you be any more vague.

3. I stopped buying games for my PS3 because of all the problems that accumulated with the Playstation 3.

Good for you. Again with the vague.

No need to be a martyr.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest - I don't have a 3D TV and don't intend buying one.

Say what now? I don't know if the Xbox has 3D or not - I don't have an Xbox and I'm not interested in 3D :rolleyes:

You bought your PS3 with all the great features only to have them forcibly removed and if you refused you had no PSN access rendering all your games requiring you to be online useless.

I bought my PS3 to play games (because it's a games console :rolleyes:) - it still does that, I still play games on it, the PS3 is still a games console. Any of these "great features" you mentioned either never interested me or I can live without.

Im sure people didn't buy the PS3 only to have features forcibly removed from them with no choice and be forced to lose there PSN access and any firmware updates the PS3 had.

It depends what the MAJORITY of people bought their PS3s for, most probably want to play PS3 games on it. If I wanted a computer to run linux on I definitely wouldn't have chosen a PS3, if I wanted a computer to play PS2 games I would have bought a PS2. etc. etc. etc.

cost ... as already stated

Maybe the xbox, like the 360 is a more traditional PC style architecture, & it's easier to do. I'm just speculating here, but the PS2 & PS3 are nothing like each other, or a PC.

I think that's definitely the case - IMO the EE was way ahead of it's time.

I'd say the same for the CBEA but the ram limitation really lets it down.

I think that's definitely the case - IMO the EE was way ahead of it's time.

I'd say the same for the CBEA but the ram limitation really lets it down.

Which Sony were warned about long before the PS3 actually went on sale.

1. Its Sony

2. They went downhill with the PS3's problems

1) cool story bro

2) vague comment is vague

3) vague comment is vague

4) Well that is down to you

They where more than well within there right to do so. The Playstation 1 and 2 Consoles and Brands where there best days and when they dominated the market. The Playstation 3 console and its brand though is in a mess. Sony state it does everything yet it doesn't. Removing the Backwards Compatibility was pushing it now removing linux support just made things much worse.

To be fair, the PS2 didn't really have much in terms of competition as it had a massive head start of the XBOX and Gamecube.

I still dont get what your getting at with Backward Compatibility? Sony removed it because it allowed them to make a substancial saving on the price of the PS3. I think that the Majority would rather have a price reduction rather than pay a feature like BC which few are even interested in. Microsoft did the same with Original XBOX games. They just stopped supporting it rather than removing the feature. Both as useless as each other.

Ive found out something very interesting that will show you why Backwards compatibility should of never been removed in the first place.

Tomb Raider Trilogy HD
Tomb Raider Trilogy | Kandco.com

If PSCX2 was developed for the PS3 i could of just played those PS2 titles in HD anyway

Same for this game as well

ISO Collection
Playstation 3*PS3 ICO + Shadow of the Colossus | Kandco.com

And i see they are also doing exactly the same with Metal Gear Solid HD and even some of the bonus content on the PS2 Versions of these games are missing.

Jakthebomb is right they are selling us the same games back to us we already bought. Ill bet all they did was take a PS2 game add there version of uptodate Direct X gaming drivers something those PS2 games lacked at the time and edit it a bit to run at a higher frame rate,screen ratio resolution etc. The result would be HD graphics and because they edited it called it a remake.

If they are remakes then why are all the cut scenes and endings storyline s etc all the same as the PS2 versions of those games.Because they are trying to sell you a game you already own on the PS2.

Does everyone understand jaks point now.

Last edited:
Ive found out something very interesting that will show you why Backwards compatibility should of never been removed in the first place.

Tomb Raider Trilogy HD
Tomb Raider Trilogy | Kandco.com

If PSCX2 was developed for the PS3 i could of just played those PS2 titles in HD anyway

Same for this game as well

ISO Collection
Playstation 3*PS3 ICO + Shadow of the Colossus | Kandco.com

And i see they are also doing exactly the same with Metal Gear Solid HD and even some of the bonus content on the PS2 Versions of these games are missing.

Jakthebomb is right they are selling us the same games back to us we already bought. Ill bet all they did was take a PS2 game add there version of uptodate Direct X gaming drivers something those PS2 games lacked at the time and edit it a bit to run at a higher frame rate,screen ratio resolution etc. The result would be HD graphics and because they edited it called it a remake.

If they are remakes then why are all the cut scenes and endings storyline s etc all the same as the PS2 versions of those games.Because they are trying to sell you a game you already own on the PS2.

:boring::boring::boring::boring:

No one is forcing anyone to buy these games.

I'm guessing they look a lot better than the originals. (Never bought an HD remake yet so cant comment) They also add 5.1 digital normally too dont they. And i'm sure there is more to a remake than what you say too. As if you care as Sony is out to screw us all!!!!!!!!

If you already own it on the PS2 then load it up in that then.

Seriously you say you have a PS3 but dont buy games for it. I hope you at least buy blu rays or youve wasted your money pal. Power up the PS2, plug it into you 12 inch CRT and get yourself back 10 years.

Perhaps you should start a chat in the PS2 forum (not very busy though, seeing as you like your comparisons)

Threads: 2,016 Posts: 14,055 PS2

Threads: 27,860 Posts: 798,945 PS3

Last edited:
:boring::boring::boring::boring:

No one is forcing anyone to buy these games.

I'm guessing they look a lot better than the originals. (Never bought an HD remake yet so cant comment) They also add 5.1 digital normally too dont they. And i'm sure there is more to a remake than what you say too. As if you care as Sony is out to screw us all!!!!!!!!

If you already own it on the PS2 then load it up in that then.

Seriously you say you have a PS3 but dont buy games for it. I hope you at least buy blu rays or youve wasted your money pal. Power up the PS2, plug it into you 12 inch CRT and get yourself back 10 years.

Perhaps you should start a chat in the PS2 forum (not very busy though, seeing as you like your comparisons)

Threads: 2,016 Posts: 14,055 PS2

Threads: 27,860 Posts: 798,945 PS3

I shouldn't need to use my PS2 when the PS3 should by rights be playing those PS2 games anyway.

Also i see this thread made its way onto Google at number 6 search result for Playstation 3 Backwards Compatibility

No

Team ICO had to rewrite and recompile ICO and SOTC for the PS3 - it is definitely *NOT* a PS2 game running on a PS3 based emulator :rolleyes: All the texture data, FMV, audio, etc. was re-encoded to make better use of the higher resolution and bandwidth.

Modern Warfare 3 is available to buy for the Xbox360 and the PS3, they look very similar, have the same cutscenes, storylines, etc. ... this does not mean that the PS3 is emulating an Xbox360 when you play this game.

No

Team ICO had to rewrite and recompile ICO and SOTC for the PS3 - it is definitely *NOT* a PS2 game running on a PS3 based emulator :rolleyes: All the texture data, FMV, audio, etc. was re-encoded to make better use of the higher resolution and bandwidth.

+1 This.

It is the same game, but when you look at it/them, they are not the same game, if you get my drift...so much work has gone into the re-masters, they are NOT emulated PS2 titles..

I shouldn't need to use my PS2 when the PS3 should by rights be playing those PS2 games anyway.

Also i see this thread made its way onto Google at number 6 search result for Playstation 3 Backwards Compatibility

And the 60gb can so unless you've got that then tough. PS3 by rights will play what Sony want it too. Not what you do.

As for google results. Just shows that there can't be much chatter about it then.

As pointed out already the PS2 HD remasters are not just the PS2 game dumped on to a blu-ray / PSN store and there you go, Textures & cut scenes have been up-resed to HD, Audio has been improved, frame rates to 60 frames per second which really improved SOTC, trophy support even 3D and move support for some games has been added such as the Sly cooper collection ( which i have and is great ) they even have to do some re-coding to get them to run on PS3 so you can't compare them with the original PS2 counterparts the only thing that really is the same is what the games had to begin with ie nothing additional has been added or changed.

I get that you love your PS2 games hell there are some i have myself that i still love to play but I don't get why your so peed off over the BC option no longer being available, as i said before when the launch 60Gb models had it it never worked well i know I had one and believe me i tried every single one of my PS2 games ( over 50) and not one worked as they would when running on a PS2 if they booted up at all they had texture corruption, no rumble because the PS3 sixaxsis didn't have that option, no 5.1 audio for the odd titles that had it, or they simply just crashed / froze after a few mins it wasn't the great thing you seem to think it was.

My experience of hi-deffed remakes have been positive so far. The God of War Collection looked awesome. Not Uncharted awesome, but it's a fair bit better than some early PS3 games. Ico, & SoTC look very fresh.

We're talking complete texture/frame rate/resolution overhaul. Not just change it to 720p & call it a day. The worst graphically is the GoW Collection II because it's from the PSP, & even that is perfectly playable, & watchable on a 40" tv. I couldn't say the same about any native PS2 game. The blockiness makes my eyes feel wierd. The PS2 was designed to display on a standard CRT TV. That's what was expected of it at the time. Even the Wii doesn't look especially good on a HDTV, & it's a fair bit better than a PS2.

Last edited:
I can't play in SD it f***s with my eyes really bad :p I'm happy to buy HD collections because I don't own any PS2 or PS1 my ps1 games were all copied and I didn't own many PS2 games was only what 8 year old at the time

Last edited:

Why do you keep saying this?

If you did not buy the original BC version then you have no rights to it at all !!

I can't play in SD it f***s with my eyes really bad :p I'm happy to buy HD collections because I don't own any PS2 or PS1 games now they were all copies xD

Ah so you admit your one of the people who didn't buy the PS2 games legit so really you can't comment on this since you didn't pay your hard earned money hundreads if not thousands of pounds on original PS2 games on the PS2 console which is backwards compatible with PS1 games as well. Put yet the PS2 is compatibility is removed but the PS1 compatibility isnt?. The PS1 is a separate system with separate specs to both the PS2 and PS3 yet the PS3 can play those games but not the PS2 games.:(:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If all PS3's can run PS1 games then they can run PS2 games anyway. There is no excuse from Sony to allow backwards compatibility for one systems games and not the other.:smashin:

Maybe if they just left the PS2 Backwards Compatability alone and not removed it or had emulation it would put an end to all the people complaining about it on youtube and across various websites. The threads and videos are out there for anyone to see it is a big issue.

If the Playstation 4 doesn't have full Backwards compatibility for all previous Playstation titles from all Playstation brands i wont be buying one as all i would really be doing is buying a system with limitations as to what Playstation games i can play on it. The Playstation 2 has full backwards compatibility and cost a bomb for Sony to make and they never removed any of the BC features on the PS2. Yes the Ps2 was expensive on release but did that stop people buying it, No it outsold every competition thrown at it. Sony's best days was with the Playstation 2. That system had sequals to previous Playstation brand Games many that where bought with the Playstation 2 at the time. We saw a new Broken Sword,Music, Resident Evil Outbreak, New Exclusive Grand Theft Autos, and plenty of many to numerous to list other great sequels like Call Of Duty for Example. Plenty of exclusive sequals on the PS2 for that game but yet the PS3 hasnt got exclusive Call Of Duty titles.

Look at the current sequels line up for the PS3 its mainly sequels to the following , Encharted,Resistance,Killzone, Little Big Planet

When did you ever see any new titles from a popular PS2 game like Music 3000 or any new music game for that matter on the PS3. See my point now.

If all PS3's can run PS1 games then they can run PS2 games anyway. There is no excuse from Sony to allow backwards compatibility for one systems games and not the other.:smashin:

AS MENTIONED BEFORE - COST AND SONY CAN DO WHAT THEY WANT

Maybe if they just left the PS2 Backwards Compatability alone and not removed it or had emulation it would put an end to all the people complaining about it on youtube and across various websites. The threads and videos are out there for anyone to see it is a big issue.

ITS NOT A BIG ISSUE - ONLY AN ISSUE FOR THE MINORITY (A VERY SMALL MINORITY

If the Playstation 4 doesn't have full Backwards compatibility for all previous Playstation titles from all Playstation brands i wont be buying one as all i would really be doing is buying a system with limitations as to what Playstation games i can play on it.

WHY SHOULD IT. I WOULDNT MIND PS3 BC BUT NOT THE OTHERS. EVEN IF IT DIDNT I WOULDNT REALLY CARE AS I'LL BE BUYING ONE FOR THE NEXT GEN OF GAMES

I'M SORRY BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO WOULD BUY A PS4 TO PLAY PS1 or 2 GAMES. THEY WOULD BE STARK RAVING MAD TO WASTE THERE MONEY ON THAT.

The Playstation 2 has full backwards compatibility and cost a bomb for Sony to make and they never removed any of the BC features on the PS2. Yes the Ps2 was expensive on release but did that stop people buying it, No it outsold every competition thrown at it. Sony's best days was with the Playstation 2. That system had sequals to previous Playstation brand Games many that where bought with the Playstation 2 at the time. We saw a new Broken Sword,Music, Resident Evil Outbreak, New Exclusive Grand Theft Autos, and plenty of many to numerous to list other great sequels like Call Of Duty for Example. Plenty of exclusive sequals on the PS2 for that game but yet the PS3 hasnt got exclusive Call Of Duty titles.

Look at the current sequels line up for the PS3 its mainly sequels to the following , Encharted,Resistance,Killzone, Little Big Planet

When did you ever see any new titles from a popular PS2 game like Music 3000 or any new music game for that matter on the PS3. See my point now.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I've answered in your post. And made the answer large so you can see them as you've obviously missed all these replies to your posts.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom