The Protector (88 Films, Jackie Chan / James Glickenhaus, Blu-ray UK November 2019)

IGC

8112dCg.jpg

This is my first Jackie Chan post :D Last time I seen this was on VHS from Warner so it's ben a while. I remember it was released at UK cinemas too so Warner liked it.

My memory is it's actually a pretty good action thriller from the usually good James Glickenhaus and with a good cast surrounding Mr Chan I always thought this was a winner.

I'll definitely be buying this for Glickenhaus alone and it would be great to hear from the guy with an interview or something (he's all over YouTube like a rash talking about cars and errr... cars).

Extras: https://88-films.myshopify.com/products/the-protector (page seems to have been removed)
Limited Edition Gloss O-Card slipcase with newly commissioned artwork by Jeremy Pailler [First Print Run Only]
Limited Edition Booklet Notes by Scott Harrison also featuring rare stills and lobby cards from the film [First Print Run Only]
Brand New 2K Remaster of the Original USA Release Version in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
Remastered Original Stereo Soundtrack
English 5.1 DTS-HD MA Remixed Soundtrack (TBC)
Remastered English SDH Subtitles
Audio Commentary by Film-Maker Arne Venema & Hong Kong Film Expert Mike Leeder
Alternative "Hong Kong Version", Jackie Chan's recut of the film. (Presented in Standard Defiintion with newly translated English subtitles.)
Hard Edge: Brand New 2019 Interview with Director James Glickenhaus
Follow the Puck: Brand New 2019 Interview with Mark Irwin
A Tale of 2 movies with Steve Lawson: A side-by-side comparison of the HK cut and the US cut of the film
Archive Behind the Scenes Featurette
International Trailer
US Trailer
Japanese Trailer
Hong Kong Trailer
Japanese Teaser Trailer [HD]
Double sided artwork with both Hong Kong and International Poster Art

Extras on the US release (with Crime Story -also released by 88 Films):
The Protector: Alternate Cut - Jackie Chan's personal cut of the film. In Cantonese, with optional English subtitles. (89 min, 480/60i).
From New York to Hong Kong - in this video interview, director James Glickenhaus recalls how he approached Golden Harvest with an offer to shoot an action thriller starring Jackie Chan. The director also discusses some of the dilemmas The Protector presented (for example, at the time Jackie Chan spoke very little English). In English, not subtitled. (10 min, 1080p).
Locations: Then and Now - a look at some of the New York City locations seen in The Protector. The featurette shows how they have changed throughout the years. Music only. (5 min, 1080p).
Behind the Scenes Featurette - a short featurette with raw footage from the shooting of The Protector produced by Golden Harvest. In Cantonese, not subtitled. (5 min, 480/50i).
Hong Kong Trailer - original Hong Kong trailer for The Protector. In Cantonese, not subtitled. (4 min1080p).
U.S. Trailer - original U.S. trailer for The Protector. In English, not subtitled. (1 min1080p).
Reversible Cover - with original poster art for the two films.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage

BqOCRJL.jpg

wOQhrwG.jpg

Last edited:

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
I have a soft spot for The Protector. Like you, my first exposure was on VHS and boy did I have a rude awakening having watched the other kind of films that Jackie was making at the time. It had swearing - Jackie delivering the immortal line “Give me the fudgeing keys!” - sex, and Danny Aiello. It’s a fun action B-pic even if I believe JC wasn’t too keen on Glickenhaus’ cut of the film - hence re-shooting a HK cut with more emphasis on action (also awesome). Also notable for the duel between Chan and Bill “superfoot” Wallace (his character is a nasty piece of work whose not adverse to a bit of casual racism).

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom