The Protégé (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

Fake Shempz

Its Maggie Q...what's not to like! She deserves a decent role after what they did to her character in Designated Survivor.

richp007

Distinguished Member
The trusty Cas 6 means I'll check this one out :)

I spotted it just 10 minutes ago oddly enough, and like the look of that cast. And of course it's Martin Campbell at the helm.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Maggie Q is gorgeous. SLJ is watchable in anything and Campbell is a great Director. I’ll watch it tomorrow but I feel it’s already worthy of a least a 6. :D

La Finta Nonna

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it Maggie Q was excellent as the Protege Samuel L Jackson was on typical form and Michael Keaton was great as ever, a nice unsung film

scrowe

Distinguished Member
Sure, the 4K disc still has the edge but considering the cost of importing, Amazon has done well with this.

Actually, with this half decent review (rare in this day and age) and with the talent involved, I’ve opted for the disc just now, the German 4K disc is available on Amazon UK fior £23, even cheaper than going to Amazon DE direct.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Watched this last night and enjoyed it. Nothing special, good Saturday night fare. A bit dull in places and was trying to be a lot more intelligent than it was. But Maqqie Q and Sam LJ were decent.

Solid 6.5/10 for me.

wolfie138

Its Maggie Q...what's not to like! She deserves a decent role after what they did to her character in Designated Survivor.
quickly turned into one of the most ridiculously stupid characters in the history of TV. utterly ruined every episode she appeared in, I would have binned the show if not for the mouthwatering Italia.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it Maggie Q was excellent as the Protege Samuel L Jackson was on typical form and Michael Keaton was great as ever, a nice unsung film
Totally agree with that. MQ was really pretty decent and Jackson and Keaton are their usual infinitely watchable selves. Hell those 2 could make a movie just reading out daily Covid test results and it'd still be watchable.

7/10

Belzok

Distinguished Member
Just watched it and thought 6 was fair.

Maggie Q, Keaton and SLJ all did a decent job and there was decent chemistry.

I think the only thing that really let it down was the soundtrack, just seemed very clunky 80s action filmesque.

There were some really good atmospheric shots, one walking through the rain towards the end, that would be great with Atmos setups, not sure if the disk has this.

pwood

Watched it last night before I read the review and would go with 6. The plot is a bit hole ridden but as a bit of entertainment it’s well worth a watch.

KorbenDallas

I thought this was good, not great, so a 6 is probably right on the nose. I didn't think it was formulaic though, the trailers made it seem like it would be
but it had some twists and turns I didn't see coming.
I thought the movie was better than I thought it was going to be judging by the trailers.

I'm glad action movies like this are still getting made.

keithwiggins

philmoviefan

Standard Member
I thought this was one of the better "assassin girls with guns" films, even if the plot was a bit muddled and they didn't know how to end the film. Worth a watch. 7/10.

Matt Wood

Watched this yesterday. usually Anything with Maggie Q I’ll watch especially these types of films she good in.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Watched this yesterday. usually Anything with Maggie Q I’ll watch especially these types of films she good in.
I'll never understand why she wasn't brought back for more Mission Impossible movies. She was terrific in the one she did. Feels like a missed opportunity.

Matt Wood

I'll never understand why she wasn't brought back for more Mission Impossible movies. She was terrific in the one she did. Feels like a missed opportunity.
Yes I was very surprised. can only think She didn’t want to do anymore.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
I think in a recent interview Chris Mcquarrie said ‘everyone was on the table’ when talking about returning characters to the next MI film.

Matt Wood

I think in a recent interview Chris Mcquarrie said ‘everyone was on the table’ when talking about returning characters to the next MI film.
Would be good if she does. I know they’re filming the next 2 films back to back so she could be in one of them.

MartinH32

I enjoyed it. Possibly the only thing I thought was a bit meh was...
Maggie Q and Keaton 'getting it on'.

KorbenDallas

Would be good if she does. I know they’re filming the next 2 films back to back so she could be in one of them.

There is actually a bit of a pause between filming the two movies now yet it was originally supposed to be back to back. But Tom Cruise isn't taking any kind of break though in learning a new stunt in the interim:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Just finished watching this and my thoughts:

Plot 2/10
Action scenes 7/10
Picture quality in 4k HDR 9/10
Audio 10/10

Man this films is a total bass fest, I only had the movie running at -15db and Man the bass was taut and really bangin 😍 😍 , loved it, one of the best for tons of bass content which always gives me a big grin with my Dual 12" Monolith THX subs. I can't get over how good value these bad boys are.

museumsteve

Distinguished Member
I quite enjoyed it so decided to order a disc version. On checking I went with the US version as it shows as Dolby Atmos whereas the German version shows DTS MA 7.1

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches ZEN One Signature DAC
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Rotel announces MKII versions of A12, CD14 and RCD-1572 devices
  • By Andy Bassett