1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Prospect for Tivo in the UK

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by eugdog, Dec 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. eugdog

eugdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Tivo will be a hard sell in the UKbecause Sky already have their own HD recorder - if you have Sky why would you choose Tivo over Sky+ given the fact that Sky+ is a one box operation AND you can record and watch two channels simultaenously!.

Also I think that £400 PLUS a £10 monthly subscription is too much to pay! Price has to come down - with VCR costing £100 the price differential is too great. Perhaps Tivo can offer a Tivo Lite where calls are made every week as oppose to every day.

Tivo has done well in the States because they have made an agreement with Direct TV Satelite to integrate their system into the satelite box!

I personally think Tivo is wonderful and those who do not have it do not know what they are missing!

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    And if you don't have Sky what else do you choose?

What £400?

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Sky+ obviously has the advantage of being in a single box, the TiVo software blows Sky+'s out of the water. I haven't used Sky+, but I've used their EPG software enough to know that Sky development are shoddy programmers.

Plus, I'm not a big fan of Sky as a company, so I'd go out of my way to not give them any more of my money. :)

As for £400, you could get TiVos for as cheap as £99 a few months ago. Now, they are running in the £120-150 range. Still, a great deal. Obviously, it comes down to the consumer, but I'm glad I went with TiVo and have no intentions of getting Sky+, even though I'm a Sky subscriber.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I use Tivo and I am very happy with it. It does what it says on the Tin.

I don't have SKY, neither do I want to pay for rubbish, and it therefore suits me very well. £400 is actually a very decent price for the sysytem but most of us paid less than half of this!

It appears to be doing fine in the Uk. No complaints here.

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    As I have said on another thread TiVo has sold around 30,000 subscriptions in the Uk. That sounds good to me:)

Also TiVo is far more than just a digital video recorder. With the sub it can auto record a whole series, record suggestions etc. etc. etc.

I've had a TiVo since it launched. The new software and all the added features make my £200 sub great value for me.

Mark.

PS I did pay £400 for it :rolleyes:

6. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grundig have released a combination Digital Satellite Receiver (non-SKY) DiscEQ1.2/ HDD PVR box, details here

PVRs are also made by Samsung, Panasonic, with various DVD writer combinations. Thomson also have a DVD player/PVR box.

So you don't NEED to subsribe to Sky/Tivo.

A cheap DVD+RW/PVR/twinDTT/DVB-S/SkyCAMslot combo with 3 RGB/S-Video SCARTS, progressive scan and a remote-hackable region free is what we all want of course, but apart from the SkyCAM, you can achieve all of this with 2 boxes.

Stuart

7. Stuart Brooks

Stuart Brooks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Whatever happened to the good old pound . And why does this forum insist on changing my pound sign into one of those foreign e's ???
    I refuse to buy anything that is priced in Euros:devil:

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    Ignore that last rant - it was my internet explorer changing all pound signs to euro signs
    :blush: