The Proposition 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Simon Crust

Editorial Contributor
Reaction score
Love this film, got mine in the post a few days back, looking forward to giving it a spin - bleak and harrowing yes, but an maazing, beautiful film none the less
also a great suprise headshot!

Great review, I haven't watched it in years, but it does stay with you.

I only discovered this release on the AVF last Blu purchase thread last night (as the slip cover didn't state UHD, I had assumed it was a BFI blu remaster), so its arriving today!

Great review, I haven't watched it in years, but it does stay with you.

I only discovered this release on the AVF last Blu purchase thread last night (as the slip cover didn't state UHD, I had assumed it was a BFI blu remaster), so its arriving today!

You must have forgotten being in the thread for it… ;):D

The Proposition (2005) Limited Edition 4K UHD

Was going to wait for tatless, but think I might ahem ‘Cave in’ and get it now! :rolleyes:

£23 isn’t too bad for tat edition

Written by Nick Cave not the Cage guy 😜

Always loved this film and very happy to see it get the 4K treatment from the excellent team at the BFI.

Speaking of nihilistic Aussie westerns, the recent Indicator release of Mad Dog Morgan is brilliant and both films would make a great double bill.

The picture quality is really lovely, beautifully shot, one of the night sky (navy blue sky) full of stars or lightening strikes in a stormy sky looks superb.
Sharp image (majority of the time), very subtle grain, thankfully looks like film.
Great to see John Hurt on screen again.
Put it on for a 10 min preview, watched it all + the new extras :)

Last edited:
Watched it last night, the 4k picture and sound are very good, missed this film the first time around somehow, its exactly how I like my westerns, gritty and real, if you liked unforgiven, open range, bone tomahawk you will enjoy this, a lot of excellent performances, especially John hurt, highly recommend it

watched over the weekend,brilliant movie,looks and sounds great,all the cast are on it.

Watched this again last night with my better half who had not seen it before.
Took a little persuasion, “what do you mean an Australian western”…but she loved it, still talking about it this morning.

Think this could easily be added to the likes of The Godfather and be an annual watch in our house.

Anyone that buys this in HMV be aware - they made a mistake on the blu-ray version by adding the 4K Ultra HD logo to the spine of the yellow case (as well as the blu-ray logo). So there are two versions on the shelves at two different prices - you might pick up the cheaper version thinking it's a bargain 4K but it's actually the blu-ray with a printing error.
The 4K Ultra HD logo is NOT on the BACK of the yellow cover of the blu-ray and, if you look inside the box, the traditional blue case is used for the blu and the black case for the 4K.

The 4K is one of my fave remasters - the sunshine coated vistas look incredible.

CEX have the 4K in at £15 currently, which is an absolute bargain.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom