1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pronto's nephew - Philips RU880

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by simon1, Oct 19, 2001.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have just discovered this at www.letsautomate.com

I can't recommend it highly enough as being the best 'buttoned' remotes on the market.

Anyone looking for a superb quality, ergonomic, fully featured universal remote and doesn't fancy the Pronto because of it's price/lcd screen/complexity -

Look no further.

This can contol up to 7 diferent devices, can use preprogrammed or learned(upto 200) commands, has more than enough buttons for each device (every button can have 2 functions assigned to it, via the 's' shift key). It also includes useful menu, cursor & OK keys. A built in light illuminates the keys and display. Macros can be assigned to any individual button.

A really clever thing is it can emit IR and RF. Two benefits: A) With just the 'receiver' part of a powermid remote extender, you can conrol your equipment from any room in the house. Plus, even if your only in the lounge, it can save you always having to point the remote at your equipment. B) The RF is also designed to work with Philips's own 'power control' modules, which are a bit like X10. These consist of either appliance (1000w) or Lamp (300w) modules. Appliances can be switched on/off and the lamps on/off/dimmer/brighten.

Tempted you yet? Well as if thats not enough, the remote also has its own built in clock/timer. The timer can be used to perform a 'macro' at any given time on any particular day.

For instance; set lamps to switch on individually/all on, switch tv channel, start video recording a certain programme, switch radio/hifi on to wake you up.

Each macro can perform upto 10 commands in series.

I've had this remote for just over a week now and I am absolutely over-the-moon with it. Even the Mrs likes it.

You can see a detailed photo of it and even download the user manual for this at the philips web site. Find it under 'sound & vision accessories'.

Price of this remote is ridiculously low at just £41 from Letsautomate. The modules are only about £14 a piece too.

Currys superstores are currently selling the remote for £69.99!

Hope that me sharing this information will generate appeal for this relatively unspoken model.

2. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Simon.

3. nwebb

nwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks like just the sort of thing I'm after... really don't think I could get on with a touchscreen.

The only thing putting me off is the layout of the buttons doesn't look as though it would replace a Sky remote very effectively. (eg. what do you use for the "Sky" button, backup, tv guide etc?)

Also, you mention Powermid. Have you actually tried it with a powermid receiver? Just that all the info only mentions Philips own rf control thingies. (or are the two systems compatible with each other?)

Cheers

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    nwebb,

I suggest you use the four 'text' buttons which are below the rew/ff buttons. With the design of this remote you can double up on buttons which is very handy! Virtually every single button can have two commands assigned to it. By holding the 's' key when you press a button, the alernative comand for that key is sent.

The powermid does indeed work brilliantly - I have this myself. You need just one half, the 'receiver' , which letsautomate sell on its own.

I recommend the power/lamp modules highly, considering their relative inexpense. Ignore the bit on the website which says they dont dim - the 375 does.

5. nwebb

nwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I bought one!

First impressions were good, nice attractive and sturdy remote, with a sexy blue backlight.

I had a few problems getting it to learn some of the functions on my existing remotes, but once I'd worked out that I should just "blip" the button on the original for a fraction of a second (rather than holding it down as suggested in the manual), I eventually got it all sorted.

I'm most impressed that it learned (eventually!) the code from my 15-year-old remote controlled light dimmer switch. That remote hasn't worked properly for about the last 5 years, but I've now got full control of my lights again!!

I haven't tried the RF stuff yet.

My only criticism is there aren't quite enough buttons. I think some dedicated "colour" buttons (ie. not shared with play/ff/rew/stop) would have been enough for me to be totally happy, but the fact I can still use the shift key means I can still do everything I want to do with just the one remote. And proper buttons too!

Overall, I'm really pleased with it. Thanks for the recommendation Simon!!

:D

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Glad you liked it.

Agree with you about having seperate coloured buttons. In fact I'm going to change mine so you have to press the 'S' key to use fastext - this will mean I can use the vcr's transport controls in tv mode, without having to switch to vcr.

7. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you've got me tempted now!

8. triplebj

triplebj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received mine together with 3 dimmers ;-)

Looks like a great piece of kit for £41 ! - can't wait to get
    rid of all the other remotes....

Very prompt and professional service from letsautomate.com !!

BJ

9. vole

vole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do the the preprogrammed codes on the RU880
    include Denon?

I have a Denon TU260L mkII tuner, this has a
    remote sensor but no remote is supplied.

Therefore I need a universal remote that either
    knows about Denon up-front, or can have new codes
    downloaded. The RU880 looks like a good deal if
    it can talk to my gear.

Vole:confused:

10. nwebb

nwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The user manual lists a number of Denon codes, so I'd think there should be a pretty good chance of it working, although there are no specific models listed.

It's got an auto mode where you just leave the remote sitting pointing at the equipment and it goes through every setting it knows of and you stop it when your equipment responds (had to do this to get Sky digi working, as that one is bizarrely missing from the list!)

If that fails you'd need to borrow a remote from somewhere to "teach" it.

11. vole

vole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick. For a couple of days the link to the
    RU880 user manual on Philips' web site was down,
    now it's back and I can see some Denon codes there
    so I think i'll give it a try.

Vole

12. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi everyone

Nice to see that the few of you who have bought are pleased with the remote.

I still can't understand why this model has never been promoted by manufacturer/retailer. A while ago I looked at all the remotes that www.remotecentral.com had reviewed in search of the 'perfect' remote - not there either.

Now I've got the remote and know the model no, I did a search recently at remote central and was suprised to see stacks of comments from people all over the globe with this model - it seems it's actually been available for about two years now.

Now that it gets dark early, I've decided to try out built in timer to switch my lamps on at about 4 pm, so the dog isn't left in the dark. It works an absolute treat - comming home to find all 3 table lamps on is a nice welcome.

One other point of interest, I've got NTL digital which is even newer than SkyDigital, and was suprised to find that the remote already had the ability to control this after doing the auto search. In particular, I was pleased with the amount of buttons that worked by default - I think I only needed to learn an additional 3 buttons which was brilliant.

13. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this heads-up on this remote, it looks very nice, without the need for splashing out for a Pronto - not to mention the time taken to program the thing.

I am keen to put this on my Xmas wish list, but what caught my eye was at the end of the page on www.letsautomate.com mentions the following

* NOTE: NOT suitable for Digital Cable boxes (NTL and Telewest), Pioneer DVD players, or B&O equipment, which use high frequency IR codes

Well I've got both a NTL Digital Box, and a Pioneer DVD player (DV-737). Am I hosed?

Has anyone got this one or both of these working with the RU880? I see Simon has his working with the NTL Box- which addresses that worry, but what about a Pioneer DVD? I have not seen or heard of any special requirements for Pioneers DVD before.

Thanks for any help,
    Ian.

14. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    ij

My Ntl box is the Di4001, you might want to double check yours.

There is a cable box called the Di1000/Di1001 which uses 'IRDA' signals which will not work with most, if not all learning remotes.

Re your dvd player - according to the user manual, the only preprogrammed codes available are for philips and toshiba. Thats not to say that the autosearch won't work, as it did on my Ntl box. Even if that fails, you can learn any command you desire.

15. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Switch module and Dimmer module

If anyone's interested in either of these, they can also be bought from www.dutchwest.co.uk who are philips main service agent.

Although the service is first class from letsautomate, dutchwest charge only about £9.50/£10.50 for the same items.

SBC SR312 key fob remote is also available from dutchwest for about a fiver. This is quite handy to keep just on your bookcase, near the door, or in another room.

There online store is not available yet, so you will have to place an order by teleohone.

They also sell the 880 remote, but are a fiver dearer than lets automate. Strange.

If anyones still not sure, you can see the 880 remote at currys superstores, who charge £69.99 - nearly 30 quid more expensive than letsautomate.

16. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I to was very interested in this remote, apart from one thing..... I have an American Pioneer DV-606D dvd player.

On the site it says that Pioneer dvd players are not supported by this remote as it's signal is outputed at a different frequency than other makes of player but it has been mentioned above that this should not be a problem as it is a "learning remote"

As I too have never heard of problems regarding learning Pioneer remote signals I suspect that the above post is most likely accurate... but I want to be sure.

Any replies from owners of both the Phillips remote and a Pioneer dvd player who can lay this question to rest would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    Iain.

17. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iain,

My RU880 remote arrived this morning - nice and prompt service from www.letsautomate.com. But I have only had a few minutes to test it (I've got some real work to do). It works fine on my tosh tv, NTL set top box (DI4001), but it doesn't learn much from the Pioneer's DVD's remote.

From this remote it can learn the basic functions, stop, play, pause, etc. But shows 'error' when attempting to learn the 'joystick' controls, any of the number keys and for example the power off button.

Unfortunately I won't get time until tomorrow to see if I can get it to learn these keys - but I doubt it since its hardly rocket science to point one remote at another.

If I cannot get it to work I will have to decide whether to send it back, or live with just play etc for the DVD?

Its a shame, as the RU880 a nice looking remote, and easy to use for the price, its just a pain that my DVD remote is so esoteric (thats the polite word I could think off)

It maybe that no other remote can control the Pioneer DVD - I expect the Pronto will though, but I'd really rather spend the difference in money on something more useful than a remote. I did think about strapping the 3 (soon to be 4) remotes together on a stick - but unsurprisingly that was vetoed.

Cheers,
    Ian.

18. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have you tried holding the key on the original remote for varying lengths of time.

Sure, the manual says to hold the key until 'ok' is displayed, but you could try a quick blip of the original button or continue holding it for a moment after the 'ok' is displayed.

I found this did work for me on a different learning remote experiencing similar probs.

19. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ij

Thanks for the feedback on the Pioneer problem. It's a real shame the remote cannot control Pioneer players as in most other ways it looks like a nice piece of kit for the price.

It now looks like I'll have to go the whole hog and buy a Pronto to control my home system, like yourself I didn't want to spend that amount of money on a remote for the home but since I'm getting pretty sick of all my other remotes I guess I'll have to.

If you get anywhere with your new remote and the Pioneer I'd appreciate you letting me know...

Hope it works out for you,
    Iain.

20. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Pants.

I cannot get it to learn most of the Pioneer DVD's remote commands. But the important ones like Play, Stop, Pause, Scan and chapter forward, and back are there. I tried different combinations distances, and button press durations, but each time I got the dreaded "Error" displayed.

I can live with this (I think). Once I stick a DVD, or a CD on, I don't tend to change the settings. Unlike broadcast TV where I'm nearly always looking for something more interesting to be on.

The biggest pain is no ability to deal remotely with menu selections for a DVD when they load up. But once the DVD, say a film, starts rolling I don't think I'd use the rest that often.

So I am down to 1.5 remote controls.

Hopefully If I can ever make my mind up between a Denon 2802, or the Yahama RX-V620RDS AV Receivers. it will work with the one I choose.

I hope this helps you decide,

-Ian.

21. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I can imagine how frustrated you must feel, when you are missing certain buttons.

There is one last possibility:

Buy a one for all remote, the OFA 6, from somewhere you'll be able to get a refund. Try these two options:

1. Learn the pioneer commands onto the OFA first, then learn from the OFA onto your philips.

or

2. There is a feature on OFA's called 'key magic'. You first find the general pre programmed code for your pioneer that works the basic functions. Then following the user manual's instuctions regarding the 'key magic', you then try out a 3 digit code in sequence from 000 - 999.

You may find that, for example, 234 opens the disc drawer and 372 displays the menu. You would probably find that some codes you try offer unusual functions of your dvd that your original pioneer remote couldn't do.

If you are successful at doing this, which is time consumming (2-3 hrs) there is every chance that the philips will learn from the OFA, because as I understand there are several types of signal for every type of command with one-for-all remotes.

It's certainly worth a go

22. ij

ij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts Simon.

I read somewhere, I think it was remotecental.com, that the Pioneer DVD use a higher frequency than normal for some of remote commands.

Perhaps there are duplicate commands for the controls, but for me it would just take too much time to test this - it was supposed to be labour saving after all!

Cheers though,
    Ian.