The problem I can see with dvd Blu-Ray.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rob20, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    The real problem for Blu-Ray and hi-def material in general is whether there will be a sufficient market for it. I can't imagine there are too many people out there with a tv capable of 720p let alone 1080p. Will the average consumer be prepared to replace their main tv sets for a hi-def picture. Part of the reason dvd was such a huge success was that the only requirement on your tv was that it had a scart input. My parents only replace their tvs when they fail completely, every 7-10 years or so. There's no way they're gonna spend thousands to replace a perfectly good set that's only a few years old. It's for this reason I cant' see Blu-Ray being the success that dvd was and is. Ultimately when tvs start to fail, prices for flatscreen hi-def sets drop etc...blu-ray should succeed. Personally, I think the mainstream punter is happy enough with dvd picture quality for the moment. With technolgy moving so quickly at the moment and prices falling drastically, a wait and see attitude would seem the way to go. It's so difficult to work out when to buy.

i.e. Early this year I bought pan dmr60 rec dvd, a few months later the 85 was released with an 80GB HDD and pal/ntsc prog scan. Decided to upgrade to the 85 and gave my brother the 60. IMO it's not worth buying a dvd recorder without a HDD unless you only buy RAM discs. DMR95 model to follow with 160GB HDD. A few months later there's another model announced with HDMI and 250GB HDD. Who knows what's next. Also, recently bought Toshibas' WL46 26" lcd which has 2 RGB, 2 Component and pc inputs, only for a week later to read that there was a new model 48 that features an HDMI input.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I want it! And I want it now. Credit Cards, Debit Cards and Cheque Book are all ready for instant deployment :D

Seriously though there will be a market. The hardcore AV enthusiasts will be there from day one. The general population will ease into it as High Def screens become more common, as Sky HD encourages people to upgrade and as DVD players/recorders/PCs start to become BluRay/HD-DVD compatible.

It will be a niche market at first (and good thing too IMHO!) but it will grow and eventually (maybe taking as long as 10 years) most titles will probably be High Def.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    But what about pre-recorded blu-ray media. Initially there won't be many titles available, and this will only improve when sales of equipment needed to play the discs increase. The longer it takes to install the user base, the longer it will take to bulid up a decent library of titles. Prices for the hardware and software will take longer to drop, with many a company taking a wait and see attitude. I can't see how dvd blu-ray being a niche product benefits the av enthusiast!?

Dvd players were initially £1,000 or so in '98. Now within the space of 5 years you can buy a budget dvd player for as cheap as £30, a recorder for £200 or less. Pre-recorded dvd discs can be picked up for as cheap as £5, and recordable discs for 35p! The number of pre-recorded titles being into thousands if not tens of thousands. This is all due to the quick acceptance and uptake of dvd as the new av media. Surely this all benefits the hard core enthusiast as well as the mainstream consumer.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    As with any new format. I'm sure most of us remember walking into HMV when there were only a dozen or so DVD titles to chose from. There is more than enough Plasma/LCD owners who will adopt High Def quickly enough to make it worthwhile.