the prisoner Blu ray set

hi there just wondering if anyone can help me with a bit of info regarding prisoner blu ray set

1) is the picture widescreen (no black bars down the side of picture)
2) whats the picture and sound quality like on it ??

KRW

1) It's presented in the correct ratio, that is 4:3 pillarboxed.
2) It looks absolutely stunning and film-like. Sound is standard 5.1, not a fancy HD format, but it still sounds pretty good.

Excellent selection of extras too. Essential discs.

mikegambit

Banned
The Prisoner was released by Network luckily and not ITV DVD who decided to butcher their Thunderbirds Blurays by chopping them down to widescreen- idiots.

The Prisoner also has the original mono tracks for the purists but after the disaster that was the dvd 5.1 mix Network seem to have gone back and redone the sound and they have also corrected several mistakes present on the dvd's connected with the audio and the credits on some episodes.

If only the Star Trek TOS Blurays had been done to the same standard

1) It's presented in the correct ratio, that is 4:3 pillarboxed.
2) It looks absolutely stunning and film-like. Sound is standard 5.1, not a fancy HD format, but it still sounds pretty good.

Excellent selection of extras too. Essential discs.

so there's black bars on the side of the picture ill leave it then cant stand it like that

just sold snow white and family blu rays because of it

KRW

Don't worry about the pesky black bars - you can zoom or s-t-r-e-t-c-h it to get rid of those :thumbsup:

probedb

Banned
sorry my feelings are the picture it suppose to be 1920x1080 meaning Widescreen

and they arent 100% of modern day dvd players will make 4.3 into widescreen so why should we pay a premium for half a picture ??:thumbsdow

You're not, the original programme was 4:3, why on earth would you want to cut the top and bottom off the picture to make it fill your screen? :suicide:

You really don't get this TV stuff.

mosche

and they arent 100% of modern day dvd players will make 4.3 into widescreen so why should we pay a premium for half a picture ??:thumbsdow

No offense mate but..are you really serious??!!! Does authentic representation of original source mean nothing to you?

mikegambit

Banned

So you would rather pay a premium and have 1/3 of the image chopped off instead ?
Thats what would happen if 4:3 material was cropped to widescreen.

You'd best forget about any tv shows more than 10 years old then because fortunately most collectors want the show as good as possible and removing 1/3 of the image just to fill the screen is not how to do it.

Did you whinge in the VHS days when widescreen was shown in its correct ratio?:lesson::eek::suicide:

mikegambit

Banned
no as when i was old enough to buy my own films i brought dvd which as you might have guessed brought Widescreen and Full Picture

You mean if you had anything that was 4:3 you simply zoomed it and cut off part of the picture?

My Panasonic tv allows me to do the same thing with Bluray so buy another tv if you want to zoom in and lose resolution .

You lose resolution on dvd too by zooming so in both cases you defeat the object of the improved quality

KRW

You're just squeezing it, if you're not zooming and not losing resolution. You can probably do that with The Prisoner, and get a fat number 6. I don't understand how DVD brought 'full screen' otherwise.

mikegambit

Banned
my dvd player puts everything in widescreen

No it doesn't.
If the picture is distorted thats down to the settings of your tv.

If your dvd player is set to 4:3 it will play widescreen in letterbox format.

If its set to 16:9 it will still only play 4:3 as 4:3 as its supposed to do.
That is what the 4:3/16:9 option is for - to tell the player you have a wide tv so that it sends the WSS flag to the tv to tell it to stretch the image.

No dvd player will stretch a 4:3 image - only your tv can do that

If you have used a ZOOM setting then 4:3 material will have top and bottom parts of the picture missing.
If you have used a 16:9 mode then the image will be stretched and 4:3 material will look wrong
Most tv's have a setting so that the centre of the image is only marginally stretched and the sides are stretched more to give the illusion that nothing is wrong, but you don't have to be Stephen Hawking to work out that 4:3 into 16:9 does not go without something left over

Last edited:

Stuart

Distinguished Member
nope sadly its not as rebel scum has said and im not the only one

I simply can't believe you would deprive yourself of many classic pre 1990s TV or 1950s(ish) films because you can't stretch or chop the top and bottom off the original image to fill a widescreen TV

You really are your own worst enemy :facepalm:

Last edited:

cassius76

SeeleyBooth, Please don't take offence.. It's just that you are a bit of a rarity round these parts... and if you are genuine... apologies. Everyone has their own preference on how they want to watch things. I'm just a bit gobsmacked that you would get rid of discs as they are not "fullscreen".

Anyway. We are here to educate and inform.

All the best.

mikegambit

Banned

No Wizard of Oz for you then.
Nor Its A Wonderful Life.
Nor The Third Man
Nor Fireball XL5

Nor all the other 4:3 material that is out or will be.
The only one losing out is you.

You could always buy a tv that can distort and ruin the image the way you want .
My Panasonic lets me zoom or stretch even HDMI images in HD although I know many tv's wont.

I guess most manufacturers think that anyone shelling out for HD material will not want anything less than seeing the images the way they were supposed tobe :suicide:

You should apply for a job at ITV DVD - they love people like you

Garrett

Mod Comment

After a lot of latitude about 3/4 and not really The Prisoner Blu Ray please get back on topic.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers