1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The prices some people will pay for a DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Squirrel God, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    madness

I think this is very dodgy also as i do not believe the BBC have put this onto DVD yet, i know it was due for release but was put back, u can still get a link to it on Play24/7 with availability TBA

BBC are shockingly stupid when it comes to releasing things on DVD. They should release the DVD just after the series completes look how long it has taken for them to release the office!and red dwarf would be a huge seller

but then again they are not interested in making money when the whole country is forced into paying them huge sums in TV licences every year

:mad:

3. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    This was released and then deleted by the BBC due to some sort of licensing problems, not sure what exactly, but the discs did briefly make it onto the shelves.

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It's not dodgy is perfectly kosher. the disc was released and promptly deleted after a few weeks due to alleged copyright issues.

On a happier note, the new series of I'm has finished shooting and looks to be as good as the last:

http://dooyoo.co.uk/review/378899.html

Can't wait! "Kiss my Face!" (or should that be "Butter my A*se!")

Edit: Mini you pipped me to it!

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah i see

well it doesn't stop the BBC from sorting out the licence problem and releasing it. BBC are complete .......

What would stop someone, hypothetically speaking, buying a Philips recordable DVD player (now under 500) then putting the series onto disk via the repeats on UK Play or BBC Choice, printing off some covers from the net, then selling on EBay?

Is this plausible?

Infact, will this be a popular way of building DVD collections simply recording films via Premier widescreen or the PPV widesceen movie channels?

6. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Well apart from the fact that UK Play and BBC Choice have large logos in the corner of the screen, and most people can spot pirated software a mile off, and thus Ebay will be notified that you are a pirate and will probably hand your details onto the authorities, other than that it sounds totally plausible.:rolleyes:

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to disagree here.

I purchased some GBA cartridges from someone off eBay and while I noticed that they were indeed counterfeit, the other 400 people that bought from him did not. He (and a few other fraudsters on eBay) have so much good feeback (700+) that you wouldn't believe it! The games were fakes of excellent quality. I only noticed because one of the games I ordered had pages missing from the manual, like the photocopier had messed up or something. It then dawned on me that all the cartridges I had bought were all missing the usual additional leaflets that come in the boxes. Further examination of the cartridges themselves revealed that the markings on the cartridge cases were ever so slightly different to the originals.

I now know what I'm doing on eBay though (and other auction places like QXL) and find it quite easy to spot who is selling "suspicious goods" and who isn't so I haven't been caught out since.

Lesson learned: good counterfeit DVDs, CDs and games can be tough to spot by Joe Public. Never under-estimate the ignorance of the masses! Thankfully, eBay will insure you against fraud to a certain extent. But it's my advice for the buyer to always beware! ;)

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes fair point

hadn't thought of that

I must admit though i HATE! those logos they should be removed

i disagree with the other point though as a 'good' pirate copy can look almost identical the original

However, what would you do about the menus? I think that would be a major problem.

I didn't really think it through before posting that one :blush:

I still think recording TV series onto dvd via digital TV could become normal practice in the future. The extras on TV series dvds are generally complete pants so why pay £60 to HMV for a season of the sopranos when you could record yourself for a few quid spent on blank disks

sod the menus

If only they would get rid of those logos!:mad:

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing I can't understand with that DVD being auctioned on eBay is why anyone would pay that price for the DVD when the VHS tapes exist. :confused:

I can understand paying over the odds for something that you can't get hold of at all in any way (e.g. "Joking Apart"), but Alan Partridge is available on VHS so what's the point?! [​IMG]

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the DVD was pulled due to technical problems with the disc?

anyway the news series (entitled I'm Still Alan Partridge) has indeed been filmed and should be on BBC 2 in the next couple of months. I went to see the first ep of the series being filmed at White City and it was very funny indeed. Took four hours to film 30 minutes worth of programme though.:eek:

Coogan was very funny tho, he came out and introduced himself in character.

11. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that both of you are right.
    There are technical problems with the disk (some players won't let you play individual episodes, this affects a number of BBC disks, Fawlty Towers is another, there is a workaround but lucky my Sony players seem to be okay), but the reason it was pulled was the copyright one.

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of buying Fawlty Towers on DVD, now that it's reasonably priced, to replace my VHS boxset..... :(

13. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have that DVD:D

I will sell it for the bargain price of 35.00.

Anyone interested:confused:

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    35 what? Lira? :D

I tell you what Mac, I know you were only joking with that, but if you wanted to sell it, I bet someone would pay that price for it on eBay. Even with the little % cut that eBay take, you'd still make a nice tidy profit ;)

15. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,190
    Arsey
    For the record Red Dwarf are being released from November, about time too!

Si

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, due to watching the repeats and episodes i have taped onto VHS i am a little bored of red dwarf

I think that is prob true for a lot of people also

My point is bbc would sell far more copies of their TV series if they released them earlier, but as i said before while we have this ridiculous forced poll tax in the tv licence the bbc do not care about making money

in todays comercial age to have a public funded broadcasting company is a joke

:mad:

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Not me!! I could never get bored of it!! :D:D

18. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, this DVD has probably been played more times than any other I own. It is worth every penny of the 11.99 I got it for and I wouldnt sell it.

I am looking forward to the new series.:D