The price of Panasonic TH50PZ81B at John Lewis

b_yead

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

We are looking to buy a Panasonic TH-50PZ81B. Giving the current economic conditions and how companies are going bust, we’ve decided to get it from John Lewis (5-Year warranty is the icing on the cake!). The price of this TV was £1410 just last week and it’s now £1499! We will be buying it on 28th of this month from J.L Oxford Circus branch. I heard prices could be different sometimes in different branches. Is that true?

We are looking to get J.L to do a price match. Any help regarding this will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi guys

We are looking to buy a Panasonic TH-50PZ81B. Giving the current economic conditions and how companies are going bust, we’ve decided to get it from John Lewis (5-Year warranty is the icing on the cake!). The price of this TV was £1410 just last week and it’s now £1499! We will be buying it on 28th of this month from J.L Oxford Circus branch. I heard prices could be different sometimes in different branches. Is that true?

We are looking to get J.L to do a price match. Any help regarding this will be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I was in JL in Southampton at the weekend looking to buy a TH46PZ81B. The sales assistant said that they price matched local shops who had the same TV in stock. He mentioned that they definitely price matched Curry's and we should come back with a written price on a piece of their stationery. Curry's were about £100 cheaper and we were told that all the manufacturers were in the process of putting their prices up due to the exchange rate and that they were finding their margins squeezed with little room for manoeuvre. That might just be sales spiel but that's what we were told.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi there,

Let me start by saying that I got my 50PZ80 for £999 from JL Sheffield, price matching their own Leicester branch. I would certainly not pay £400 extra for the 81B, in fact not even £100 more. But that is my view. If you are interested call your local JL and get them to PM JL Leicester, that is if there are any left!!!

In terms of PM JL are getting pretty strict. It needs to be a shop or an on-line retailer with a shop and the price needs to be on display. It is getting harder and harder to get undersales to match anyone other than other JL branches who have reduced the price. But it is fair to say that they will PM any high street retailer quite easily.

Cheers

I was in JL in Southampton at the weekend looking to buy a TH46PZ81B. The sales assistant said that they price matched local shops who had the same TV in stock. He mentioned that they definitely price matched Curry's and we should come back with a written price on a piece of their stationery. Curry's were about £100 cheaper and we were told that all the manufacturers were in the process of putting their prices up due to the exchange rate and that they were finding their margins squeezed with little room for manoeuvre. That might just be sales spiel but that's what we were told.

Cheers,

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply. We have checked the price of this TV at House of Fraser and it was £1299 but unfortunately they don't do free delivery which is a must for J.L to do a price match as J.L does this (Thats what the sales assistant at J.L told us).

John Lewis are currently paying Panasonic around £1150 for the 50PZ81 so there is plenty of room for manoeuvre.

Hi there,

Let me start by saying that I got my 50PZ80 for £999 from JL Sheffield, price matching their own Leicester branch. I would certainly not pay £400 extra for the 81B, in fact not even £100 more. But that is my view. If you are interested call your local JL and get them to PM JL Leicester, that is if there are any left!!!

Now I'm suffering from Pre-Purchase Cognitive Dissonance! A few extra features and fully black design of 81B is hard to resist. On the other hand, a cheaper 80B is very tempting! What to do! :(

Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply. We have checked the price of this TV at House of Fraser and it was £1299 but unfortunately they don't do free delivery which is a must for J.L to do a price match as J.L does this (Thats what the sales assistant at J.L told us).
#

That is not correct, at least in bristol it isn't
Just say you will collect any way.
The comparison is price.
JL's 5 year gtee, isn't needed to be matched either.
Ring undersales, direct and get friendly with them, give them a few options,.
Remember even after purchase JL will match within one month of the sale.

Now I'm suffering from Pre-Purchase Cognitive Dissonance! A few extra features and fully black design of 81B is hard to resist. On the other hand, a cheaper 80B is very tempting! What to do! :(

from what I've seen the TH42PZ80 has gone up from £792 to £999 in the past few days.

from what I've seen the TH42PZ80 has gone up from £792 to £999 in the past few days.

Not exactly encouraging the consumer to keep on spending is it???

I am looking into the 42PZ80 and will hopefully purchase one in the next couple of weeks, but really want to drive the best price I can get!!!!!

With Costco doing the 46" sub £800, I am surprised the 42" is still as expensive and even going up in price!!!!!

Hi guys

J.L website is still showing £1499 for TH-50PZ81B. We're going to check instore again tomorrow. Someone on a diferent thread was saying House of Fraser are doing free 5-Year warranty as well. So we'll be checking there too. We have decided to call a few different J.L stores before we buy on 28th.

Do you have any ideas which J.L stores to check?

Thanks in advance.

:thumbsup:

Just bought the 81b at comet this afternoon, price matched with crampton and moore for £1199

I picked up the TH42PZ80B from JL Watford on Saturday for the sum of £599.

Hi Andy

Just checked the conditions of price matching and found this... Cut and copied as written on pdf leaflet...
[Terms and conditions]
. Competitors' products must be identical
in terms of make, model, size and colour.

• Competitors' products must match our service
conditions which are:
- display price clearly adjacent to the item
- have equivalent delivery timescales and stock
availability (i.e. they have it in stock if we have
it in stock).

• Competitors' offers must have identical
products and be under the same promotional
terms (e.g. when a competitor advertises money
off a product or group of products we'll match
the promotion for the same products).

• We will not match a price that's only available
to individual customers or groups, such as
account holders or club members.

• We take additional charges into account such
as fitting and delivery.

• We don't match outlets such as factory outlets,
membership clubs, market stalls, duty free shops,
mail order catalogues, the Internet and home
shopping channels.

• Whilst we normally try to obtain special order
lines which are not part of our stocked range,
we reserve the right to refuse to match prices
on such orders where it would be uneconomic
for us to do so.

• The local area is an 8 mile radius from the branch,
details of the exact area this covers are available
from customer services in your local branch.:D

Hope this helps.... You can get the full pdf leaflet off of their website....

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information. I think £1499 is just too much! Saw today House of Fraser doing that for £1399 with 5-Year free warranty. I think I'll have to go somewhere else to find a cheaper deal even though I will lose free warranty. Ask Direct has that TV for £1099 (1-Year warranty) and thats very tempting:D!

Just checked the conditions of price matching and found this... Cut and copied as written on pdf leaflet...
[Terms and conditions]
. Competitors’ products must be identical
in terms of make, model, size and colour.

• Competitors’ products must match our service
conditions which are:
- display price clearly adjacent to the item
- have equivalent delivery timescales and stock
availability (i.e. they have it in stock if we have
it in stock).

• Competitors’ offers must have identical
products and be under the same promotional
terms (e.g. when a competitor advertises money
off a product or group of products we’ll match
the promotion for the same products).

• We will not match a price that’s only available
to individual customers or groups, such as
account holders or club members.

• We take additional charges into account such
as fitting and delivery.

• We don’t match outlets such as factory outlets,
membership clubs, market stalls, duty free shops,
mail order catalogues, the Internet and home
shopping channels.

• Whilst we normally try to obtain special order
lines which are not part of our stocked range,
we reserve the right to refuse to match prices
on such orders where it would be uneconomic
for us to do so.

• The local area is an 8 mile radius from the branch,
details of the exact area this covers are available
from customer services in your local branch.:D

Hope this helps.... You can get the full pdf leaflet off of their website....

I picked up the TH42PZ80B from JL Watford on Saturday for the sum of £599.

That's very cheap for the 42PZ80B especially considering the 5 year warranty! It's showing as £1000 on their website now! Do you think my local JL would price match the Watford store if they have any in stock?

Cheers, Matt.

Is Watford JL price of £1299 for TH50PZ81 a good value purchase? Are there any other stores selling at lower price where I can price match? Thanks in advance.

We bought ours from Ask Direct for £1099 and got delivered this afternoon. They don't do 5-year warranty but saved £400 compared to J.L price. :)

Got 50pz80 from John Lewis Bristol for 999 , price matched with HoF Oxford street, delivered Thursday. Well pleased.

That's very cheap for the 42PZ80B especially considering the 5 year warranty! It's showing as £1000 on their website now! Do you think my local JL would price match the Watford store if they have any in stock?

Cheers, Matt.

A few people got price matches earlier in the week but I think Watford have raised the price to £717 now.

Got 50pz80 from John Lewis Bristol for 999 , price matched with HoF Oxford street, delivered Thursday. Well pleased.

I'm just curious to know how did J.L in Bristol matched the price of HoF in London? J.L only price match any local shop within 8 mile radius or their other J.L branches. J.L also said any shop they price match to must do free delivery like they do. Last week when I was in HoF Oxford Street branch, they told me they charge for delivery.

Last edited:
I'm just curious to know how did J.L in Bristol matched the price of HoF in London? J.L only price match any local shop within 8 mile radius or their other J.L branches. J.L also said any shop they price match to must do free delivery like they do. Last week when I was in HoF Oxford Street branch, they told me they charge for delivery.
Pricematch is UK wide. It doesnt have to be free delivery, but some of the shops take the delivery charge as part of the pricematch. It's all on their web site.
Talk to the "undersales" dept. not the TV dept. people, who dont always know the full rules.

Pricematch is UK wide. It doesnt have to be free delivery, but some of the shops take the delivery charge as part of the pricematch. It's all on their web site.
Talk to the "undersales" dept. not the TV dept. people, who dont always know the full rules.

Is it UK wide? - or is Scotland still excluded from general price match?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom