1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The price of being an early adopter

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rolighed, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This wednesday I should be receiving my 32PF9830 from D&C after a good 4 months wait. :thumbsup:
    It will have cost me approx. 2,116 GBP (I live in DK).

I ordered back in may to make sure I would be one of the first to get it - however, now it seems I've paid quite a price for this. A single look at www.guenstiger.de tells me that I now can order the same TV from Germany for approx. 1,600 GBP. Do I feel stupid! Actually, by paying approx. 100 GBP more than I have already paid I could have gotten the 37" model from Germany instead!

Friends ask me why I wont return it, but D&C informs on their website that they will charge a 20% "restocking fee" for taking back a product that isn't faulty. :nono:

Well... Call me a cry baby!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I remember well the time that you placed your order. The 9830 was to be 'the Next Big Thing' and there was tremendous excitement surrounding it.....

Since then Philips have changed the expected specification quite dramatically and it now seems that the 9830 is going to be little better than the ubiquitous 9986. (If it is better at all!)

Actually, Rolighed, it probably will be better, just not as great as was expected. There are scare stories around about poor PQ, but I'm pretty sure that , once you have it, it'll be a pretty good TV.... just not as good as you had hoped.

Price wise, what you have paid is pretty much what was expected. Initial TV's were expected to be around the £2k mark and, if you dredge back through the posts, you'll find that mid teens prices were also predicted....no surprise really.

But don't fret, embrace your new telly, work at it's settings and prepare for an enjoyable ownership!

Jimmy

3. Laser Boy

Laser Boy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just ordered the 37" 9830 but could still cancel it. Please elaborate on what you have heard about the PQ.

4. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As jimsam wrote, they are scare stories. I have seen the 32 and 37 inch models at the local dealer - and can confirm that they really ARE scare stories! You're getting a GREAT TV set! :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Rolighed

5. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know - I know! ;) It's just difficult to come to terms with the fact that I have paid "max price" for "least specs"... If you know what I mean? ... If only the price I paid had dropped together with the specs (still great specs. though!).

Well.. Tomorrow my set should arrive and I'll try to forget the fact that I could have had the 37" big brother instead of the 32" little brother for the same price. I have NO WORRIES about the set itself. It's gonna be GREAT! :clap:

Cheers
    Rolighed

6. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Rolighed,

Have you seen the 9986 in action? I would be really interested to hear your comparisons, once you have the 9830 fully set up!

Thanks!!

7. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have... But only "a quick test" for half an hour or so at a dealership. But I'll surely give as much feedback as possible when the new set has arrived.

Cheers
    Rolighed

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my 32pf9986 in december 2004 for 3599 euro, after bargaining. That was a good deal (in shops) at that time. Typical price was 3999 euro or even above 4000. At the cheapest webshops it was like 3200-3300 euro but I did not want to take that risk.

After christmas it was listed at 3299 euro in the same shop!
    Later in the year the shop sold it as low as 2699 euro before running out and not restocking (probably waiting for the 9830).
    I have not checked yet what they ask for a 9830 but probably it will be below 3000 euro as well. And it has more features than my 9986.

Lesson: waiting for 10 months would have saved 600-900 euro.
    However, this sounds a bit like the guy postponing the purchase of a computer because he heard that faster and cheaper models will be released next month. When next month has arrived, cheaper and faster models indeed are around, but there is your announcement for an even better deal if you wait more.

Sure it was unwise to pre-order. But I have mentioned that several times in this forum. Never pre-order such a device. Always wait until it is in the shop, and preferably (if you can) wait for the second production run.
    When I got my 9986 it supported component video (2.1 version) while those that bought early had 1.3 without component, and had to return their set for an upgrade and sometimes even for a safety rework and/or ambilight fix.

9. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could always say the specs have changed since you ordered it so you don't have to accept what they are sending you.

10. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +371
    It could always develop a "fault" when you find something it can't do (and that they can't simply fix!)

11. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What about the Distance Selling Regulations?

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/distsell.htm

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    its always cheaper to wait.

I bought my 30pf9975 for 2k GBP from John Lewis just over a year ago. No HD ready, no 720p, no DVI. But still a stunning set at the time.

Now you can get it for £1k, or a proper HD ready set for about the same. If I upgrade, I'm forced to keep the current set as 'spare' - quite a luxury item for the bedroom or spare room, but there's just no point selling it for £500