The Predator Review & comments

I saw this the other night, I expected it to be bad from the first trailer and wasn't dissapointed. I, like others on here, are pretty amazed at how this mess gets green lit and released into cinemas.

I like the other three main Predator films, they do go down in quality from the first one. This is just bad and I think I would rather watch AVP or....AVP 2 above this again!

That last scene, I actually groaned in the cinema along with a few others.

Films get green lit at a much earlier stage than you might think and, from the studio perspective, it was a non-brainer with the key elements already in place. It's like cooking from a recipe: you start with the right ingredients, you hope, but then things go horribly, tragically wrong. Except you can't then call for a pizza. Release dates and other contractual obligations are already in place so not releasing it is simply not an option. Not when it is at least halfway releasable. I got excited at the end scene but that's just me.

Just back from seeing it. Both me and the wife thought the first half was solid but that the remaining 40 mins was so bad it was bizarre. I really struggled with the rapid cutting. You didn't stay with one camera angle for more than 2 seconds!

Humm
A friend saw this yesterday and “enjoyed it immensely”
So decided to ignore you lot and go see it tomorrow :p
I’ll be back...

I wasn’t a fan, my mate thought it was so bad it was good and gave it a 7.

Oh God, I feel your pain - CAS! QUICK! REWRITE THE REVIEW AND SAVE THIS POOR MAN!

'Crazy Rich Asians' is by no means as bad as you would think. It is very funny at times, also touching, has a splendid Michelle Yeoh and an ever awesome Gemma Chan.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree, that’s exactly the reason for quite literally eating his brains.

Its not a reason to challenge a kid as a physical adversary. That’s a nonsense. Imagine the same set up with the late Stephen Hawking?! It follows the same logic in terms of taking the best bits of the human race but it’d hardly make sense to challenge the man to a hunt.

If it had been
Stephen Hawking
would you have revised your rating upwards?

Went to see this tonight, was really enjoying it until mum decided she wanted to come home 30m earlier than usual so missed the ending, will have to go back and see it again.

I had to depart from the part where...

The kid goes back into the ship and activates the shield to cut the Predators arm off.

PS
She didn't call, had it on vibrate in pocket and she texted so when I felt it go I went.

'Crazy Rich Asians' is by no means as bad as you would think. It is very funny at times, also touching, has a splendid Michelle Yeoh and an ever awesome Gemma Chan.

I loved CRA, film was a bit of a roller-coaster throughout.

Humm
A friend saw this yesterday and “enjoyed it immensely”
So decided to ignore you lot and go see it tomorrow :p
I’ll be back...

Just take into consideration the tone is a lot lighter than the original and you will be fine.

I was loving it but will have to go back as I missed the end.

I'm not sure why everyone is surprised this is such a turkey. He brought us Iron Man 3....that should have been enough to ring alarm bells and flag terror in any self respecting movie goer!

Yeah...it was awesome. :)

Saw this last night and dear God it was a mess.

It’s a mixture of slapstick A-Team/Predator.

Went in with high hopes since Shane Black did the first movie, boy I should have left them high hopes in the car.

Hates how the used the iconic phrases from the first once, force slapstick comedy.

Wish I stayed at home

Finally saw it last night started off ...well... bit odd but few laughs along the way then seemed film didn't know where it was going and thought to myself this'll be on sci fi channel in a couple months it was that bad.. glad I had a Cineworld membership for me and the Mrs or if I'd paid for this nonsense at a vue for nearly 30quid for the 2 of us is there would have been trouble... just makes me certain I have to get the original and part 2 on 4k bluray to get back something...
So much potential... yet so much waste.. And that ending oh my word...how stupid.. the sooner they leave the likes of Predator and Aliens alone the better...:devil:

Saw this last night and dear God it was a mess.

It’s a mixture of slapstick A-Team/Predator.

Went in with high hopes since Shane Black did the first movie, boy I should have left them high hopes in the car.

Hates how the used the iconic phrases from the first once, force slapstick comedy.

Wish I stayed at home

Black only had a minor acting role in the original. John McTiernan of Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October fame directed the 1987 movie and it was written by two brothers I think.

Black only had a minor acting role in the original. John McTiernan of Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October fame directed the 1987 movie and it was written by two brothers I think.

Jim and John Thomas. Black has said in interviews that the producers (joel silver?) give him a small part in the hope that he would add creative input into the script, but he ultimately didn’t add or change anything and they ultimately filmed with the original screenplay.

I think they just put plot ideas on strips of paper, put them in a bucket and after mixing them pulled them out at random.

The manga, power rangers, iron man, samurai with Wesley Crusher, I think they found on the floor!

Just to mention that the original Predator & Predator 2 are both on offer for $4,99 each on iTunes USA, in 4K

(I also posted this just now on the Streaming Forum)

Predator rankings:
upload_2018-9-16_20-33-36.png

1 leagues ahead of the rest.

Messy but fun.
Thought most of the comedy worked well and the screening I was in had lots of people laughing for the right reasons.
Definitely needed a bigger budget for the effects as they were very B movie.
I’d give it a watchable 3/5
Would not be one I’d buy.

Yeah it was bad.. comedy was ok but dont know how it went down this rd..
Actors were good enough, sure they had a good budget. And more than enough time to look at what went wrong with other films and what not to do wrong. ie. AVP ...which was better too.. after seeing the predator.. only way I could compare it was like giving someone keys to an empty house free booze, food, good sound system coming back later to see them sitting there.
I waited a long time to see this film and was let down..

it can go nuts with Predator dogs.

PREDATOR DOGS? Sweet Jesus. This movie sounds like it was made by committee. I can just imagine a producer somewhere saying 'How about Predator dogs. They'd be cool, right?' Reminds me of the scene in 'The death of Superman lives' when the producer wants Superman to fight a giant spider and have polar bears guarding the fortress of solitude!

PREDATOR DOGS? Sweet Jesus. This movie sounds like it was made by committee. I can just imagine a producer somewhere saying 'How about Predator dogs. They'd be cool, right?' Reminds me of the scene in 'The death of Superman lives' when the producer wants Superman to fight a giant spider and have polar bears guarding the fortress of solitude!
Takes me back to Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - remember this cute Doggy? :)
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (40).jpg

I have no intention of now watching this film - however all this predator talk did make me watch the original again, but in 4k last night...and oh boy is it still a classic! Bloody Brilliant!

Just need to decide if number 2 is worth a re-watch.

There
were already Predator dogs in Predators, weren’t there? Unless these are different from those dogs?

There
were already Predator dogs in Predators, weren’t there? Unless these are different from those dogs?

Yes and that was fine, barely used and were not
turned into insufferably annoying, pointless jokes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom