The Predator Review & comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
so you didn't like the film then Cas?

Will prob miss this at the cinema then and wait for a (wishfully thinking) Directors Cut on disc.

I was expecting it to be bad but wow :D

I was fearing that. It had all the telltale signs - advertised long before it is due for release and then advertised to death just before the release. It's like the studio know that it is a stinker and need to decide whether to just cut their losses and cross their fingers or advertise it to death to hype it up.

I first saw cinema trailers over 6 months ago, though not as extreme as Jupiter Ascending which started running trailers over a year before it was released.

Will still go and see it as I have Cineworld Unlimited but won't be paying extra for IMAX.

Cheers,

Nigel

Oh no.

How is it possible to screw up such an iconic and terrifying character?

Perhaps it's time to just leave this be now, like they ought to with "Alien".

Thanks for the review Cas. I had a feeling this might turn out to be a turkey...:facepalm:

Will prob miss this at the cinema then and wait for a (wishfully thinking) Directors Cut on disc.

Oh, so you think it might be more coherent if, as Cas implies in his review, they put the "missing" scenes back in?

It might be worse!:eek:

I was fearing that. It had all the telltale signs - advertised long before it is due for release and then advertised to death just before the release. It's like the studio know that it is a stinker and need to decide whether to just cut their losses and cross their fingers or advertise it to death to hype it up.

I first saw cinema trailers over 6 months ago, though not as extreme as Jupiter Ascending which started running trailers over a year before it was released.

Will still go and see it as I have Cineworld Unlimited but won't be paying extra for IMAX.

Cheers,

Nigel

Let us know what you think, Nigel?

There's only one Predator movie.

As an aside, why the use of US movie certifications in a UK review? We do have our own ratings you know, which are much more relevant to the UK audience on this UK site.

There's only one Predator movie.

As an aside, why the use of US movie certifications in a UK review? We do have our own ratings you know, which are much more relevant to the UK audience on this UK site.

Because there's a difference between a PG-13 and an R (the original rating in the States) and the 15 that both *might* get in the UK. Since the ratings don't exactly match, it's often more useful to differentiate using the US ratings in order to get an idea of what kind of movie you're looking at.

For example, both AvP and The Predator are 15 rated in the UK.

But they are clearly very different in terms of violence and gore. Why? Because AvP is a PG-13 in the States (but too violent to get under our 12A rating) and The Predator is easily R-rated, but our 15 rating is much more lenient these days.

So explaining that AvP and The Predator are both 15 tells you nothing. Saying that AvP is a PG-13 and The Predator is R-rated tells you everything.

Hope that makes sense and helps reassure you that I do indeed know that we have our own ratings but, despite that, I actually do NOT think that they are 'much more relevant' to the UK audience on this UK site.

Last edited:
So Final Score is 50% better than this!

Unfortunately that's an utterly pointless comparison.

Best bet is to forget the scores and read the reviews.

Final Score is a practically straight-to-TV low budget riff on Die Hard, The Predator is a big budget, big screen soft reboot/sequel of Predator. If The Predator was release on SkyTV it may have been more comparable.

Last edited:
Gutted - had high hopes for this. Just picked up the 4k version on itunes of the original and its a classic!

That's an utterly pointless comparison. Forget the scores, read the reviews.

Final Score is a practically straight-to-TV low budget riff on Die Hard, The Predator is a big budget, big screen soft reboot/sequel of Predator. If The Predator was release on SkyTV it may have been more comparable.
Just kidding Cas. I haven't seen either, 6 or a 4, both scores suggest they're not worth my time.

To be honest I'd go the Mark Kermode route, and avoid scores all together.

Looks like Empire have given it a 3/5 - apparently still appeal to long term fans:

The Predator

Looks like Empire have given it a 3/5 - apparently still appeal to long term fans:

The Predator

Yeah I read that immediately after writing my review. It's still worrying that the highest rating that it's getting is a 6/10, and that the only positives they can talk about are gore, a throwback actioner vibe and references to the first movie. Which is really straining for positives.

Well that's a bit disappointing,had high hopes for this.:(

Thanks for the Review Cas. From this, it's not even making it to the rental list - would be a waste of a slot!
As someone else said, a shame - I was hoping for a solid revisit to the Predator concept, which was excellent.
Guess time to wait another few years for the next "reboot"

Thanks for the review Cas i was looking forward to this film, now i am not so sure. :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom