The Predator (13 September 2018) by Black & Dekker

Rate Me

• Total voters
I’m a huge Predator fan and despite the trailers not wowing me I had hope and was actually enjoying the film up to the point when they
head off to find his kid, after that it just seemed to become disjointed and raced towards the end, the deaths started to pile up but it had no sense of the fear that Arnie and his crew put across when they were being hunted, have to wonder what the original ending was like seeing as it took place during the day in the town with other Predators helping them.

I assume others recognised the Xenomorph tail spear from AvP on display in the base, really surprised by that as I thought they were trying to forget those films every happened lol and for an alien species that has their own unique written language which is seen throughout the film I thought it was odd that they had written ‘Pod 3’ on the Predator Killer Pod :confused:

I watched this last week, Friday night but only now really summing up my thoughts. This was not a sci fi thriller/horror it was an attempt to create a sci fi buddy comedy with some gore. Even then the jokes were pretty flat, alot of the audience were merely tee-heeing rather than all out gaffawing. The banter was not free flowing and seemed forced as hell. I had a feeling SB was not the right choice for this franchise given his style and turns out I was right, god knows how the movie would've ended up if they didn't reshoot it in the dark. Even as SB movies go this one ranks quite low. Just give him more crap like The Nice Guys to do. Misfits band together to take on the universes deadliest hunter . . . f off!

I'm sick of suped up Predators, I would have much preferred a cross tribal predator civil war rather than a huge mercenary sent to kill one predator.
he punched the predator in the head and killed him and then ripped off his head with ease. So when he gets a human, does he do the same? NO! of course not, just just chucks them to the side, so fricking DUMB!
The best bits were the regular Predator wreaking havoc in the lab in the first 3rd of the film. He is a badass hunter who is strong and scary enough on his own, you dont need to a plus sized Predator model ***.
From when they showed Predators in the first few seconds
I just thought, Great, they're not gonna give them the respect they deserve and go along with the ethos that everyone knows what they look like so what the hell. Even Aliens director Didley Squat built up some secret monster tension in the awful sequels.

Everytime a human opened their mouth to deliver their a new theory about what is happening and why I just rolled my eyes. The movie started off ok but went downhill pretty fast. Seeing Predators out in the open without the need to stealth around is defeating the point. I was reminded of Dracula goign nuts at the end of Monster Squad and that's just wrong! I hope they leave this franchise alone now, unless they give it to someone like Neil Blomkampf. I would rather see a homage/love letter to the original than a so called fresh and revamped idea gone wrong.

Can only echo what others have said - tremendously disappointing.

I only really enjoyed the dialogue - there is some well written exchanges between the characters.

There is virtually no horror or suspense.

I didn't enjoy any of the expanding of the Predator Mythos, just felt like a bunch of poorly shoved together ideas.

The CGI Predator is abhorrent - especially when Shane Black made a big song and dance about using a man in a suit - the original predator effects from 87 are superior which is a joke.

Frankly thats two film franchise's, that for me, Shane Black has done more damage to than good!

If he wants to write scripts or do script doctor work to punch up dialogue to help other films then all good but I'd rather he didn't get his directing hands on anything else i cared about again.

I don't normally watch the Half In The Bag review before I've seen a film, but based on the feedback I had already decided I wasn't going to see it.

I stayed for their spoiler section and wow, the plot, haha, wow...!:rotfl:

Edit
------------
Mandy looks good though!

I don't normally watch the Half In The Bag review before I've seen a film, but based on the feedback I had already decided I wasn't going to see it.

I stayed for their spoiler section and wow, the plot, haha, wow...!:rotfl:

Edit
------------
Mandy looks good though!

Problem is The Predator is on 6 times a day at the multiplex, but you can't find Mandy for love nor money :(

Problem is The Predator is on 6 times a day at the multiplex, but you can't find Mandy for love nor money :(

O/T
If you have something like 'movies anywhere' setup you can buy Mandy on Amazon US site on digital and watch it now.

Spoilers

The cast are a bunch of clowns
Writers Black & Dekker are no Tarantino

Last edited:
Finally springing back to regular cinema going after a work heavy summer. Caught this on what already looks like its last leg. Had no expectations but I do enjoy all the Predator movies including the Alien vs Predator ones as undemanding junky scifi horror snacks. I ended up enjoying (and a fair bit of groaning at) this one in much the same vein. Its not a great movie, Shane Black's direction kills any potential tension that certain scenes could have had. For a predator movie, that alone could be considered a massive failure. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the ride for what it had to offer in other areas. The typical developing camaraderie of strangers, some of the comedy (that yes, dont belong in a Predator movie and at times felt forced as with most of Black's films). The storyline wasnt half bad either, its just delivered with very little impact. Always love hearing Alan Silvestri's original theme.

You know what, this is a rubbish Predator film. I like it enough personally but I certainly would not have recommend it to a typical AVFer movie enthusiast if I saw it on its release.

5.5/10

Alternative Ending and Emissary Predator footage will NOT be part of the deleted scenes available on the Blu-Ray...

Currently known features include:

• Deleted Scenes (6:45 minutes)
  • Little Black (10:22 minutes)
  • Evolution of the Predator (20:05 minutes)
  • Hunting the Predator (9 minutes)
  • Gallery
  • Trailers
Sadly that appears to be it so far. There was a lot of additional footage which was removed during The Predator's reshoots at the start of 2018, but it appears none of that will been included.

Dm4SQf7XsAAgXsz.jpg

OK love predator but haven't seen this; as someone much more a fan of Justice League, Venom etc than Mandy would this be worth watching ?

Asking for a friend :laugh:

Finally caught up with this earlier.

Jeez, what a stinker.

At times the editing was terrible. Like someone had taken 2 hours of film, randomly cut 30 mins out here and there to create a 90 min movie (or however long it was).

4/10 As bad as Pacific Rim 2 so a contender for my worst movie of the year.

3/10 for me its only saving grace was some of the rather nice death and maiming scenes :)

I wasn't surprised to be fair, its Shane Black after all... the man that brought us the abomination of a mess of a film that was Iron Man 3.

I watched it on 4k blu ray recently and found it ok, but went in with low expectations.

Visually it looked superb in 4k and it did have some 'cool moments' with the Predator and their weapons but overall yes the film lacked any substance and some of the actors were very unconvincing.

The SFX were quite good and it felt like it had a decent budget.

This was on the plane on a recent trip, so I flicked through it to watch the action sequences again. I like the Predator stuff, but otherwise this was a wasted opportunity.

This might be better than the film:

Not suitable for children

Back when I watched the film one of the things that left me a little confused was the ‘Pod 3’ labelling on the pod that was recovered from the ship, why would it be written in English?

At first I thought it was just another goof but turns out there was actually another alternate ending and the pod was in fact a Weyland Yutani pod hence the English (it had the WY logos removed but left the Pod 3 labelling) and inside it contained Ripley in status :confused:

Not sure how they thought this would go down, whether it was meant to be Ellen Ripley or her grandfather/grandmother but damn I’m not sure which ending I would have preferred, obviously Arnold being in there was their first idea but between Ripley in status or that silly Predator Killer suit I am split.

Back when I watched the film one of the things that left me a little confused was the ‘Pod 3’ labelling on the pod that was recovered from the ship, why would it be written in English?

At first I thought it was just another goof but turns out there was actually another alternate ending and the pod was in fact a Weyland Yutani pod hence the English (it had the WY logos removed but left the Pod 3 labelling) and inside it contained Ripley in status :confused:

Not sure how they thought this would go down, whether it was meant to be Ellen Ripley or her grandfather/grandmother but damn I’m not sure which ending I would have preferred, obviously Arnold being in there was their first idea but between Ripley in status or that silly Predator Killer suit I am split.
"Predator" Ending Almost Had Ripley - Dark Horizons

...original Predator film not this one

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom