The Power of the Cloud

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by zt1903, Aug 9, 2013.

1. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
  2. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
  3. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    You truly are the biggest Sony worshipper

4. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    Not really new news TBH. They just weren't shouting about it.

1st link is wrong too.

5. Soundburst

Soundburst
    In Memoriam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    I'm bewildered that people think MS "owned" or made the cloud. Cloud computing has been, and can be used by anything!!!!!

6. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,164
    Sony fanboy. M$ Power of Teh Cloud makes Xbox One 600% better, and it's like three more XBoxes in your One :lesson: That's wot Don Mattrick said, and I believe him as he's always been right!

Read more here on: http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox-one/1784053-power-cloud.html

7. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
    Posting from mobile so didn't quite get it right.

Agree it's not really news or that exciting, limitations as discussed on MS cloud thread.

It does tie in with something the driveclub team were talking about in relation to use of dedicated servers though.

8. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Bit baffled as to what this means. Gaikai makes the tech and this company hosts it on their servers?

9. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    It's not just Gaikai. Sony use it too.

10. Cord Cutter

Cord Cutter
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,624
    Hopefully downloads will be faster at least

11. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    likewise for M$

12. zt1903

zt1903
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,418
    Back under your bridge now, there's a good lad

13. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    Gaikai is more tech for streaming games, and whilst it's in the cloud is totally different to what other systems would require. Basically think of service performed remotely so gaikai is software as a service much like office 360 say. Then you get storage as a service so cloud saving, drop box etc and you have compute as a service such as azure and Amazon elastic compute. Now these all have merged and really very flexible.

Sounds like a step in the right direction but talk about cutting it fine.

14. jayd

jayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,550
    Lol I bet it's a great feature now though.

15. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Whilst i get your point i will add that if those of us favouring the Sony console had made that statement on the Xbone thread there'd be all manner of tears and tantrums :rolleyes:

16. jayd

jayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,550
    Of course because nothing as trivial gets mentioned on the xbox forum and all people who like xbox are over sensitive sheep who react hysterically to anything even remotely anti xbox. So yes you are totally correct in your assumption.

17. jjgreenwood

jjgreenwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Sony is heavily invested in cloud tech. There are a lot of players and a lot of investment going into this. The motley fool emailed me several times last year tipping google as an investment due to its server farms. This old eurogamer article discusses Sony's purchase of gaikai:

Sony buying Gaikai: "It's certainly a move for PlayStation 4" • News • Eurogamer.net

On top of this Nvidia keeps showing us new bits of tech using its grid system which is used by its "partners" to stream games to low powered android devices.

Amazon is rumoured to be joining the party with yet another android console that will be focussed on the "core gamer" - whats the betting that this also has some sort of streaming from amazons stores - coincidence that they just launched their pc download service?

Microsoft we know is working on removing some of the load from the local console and using central computing power in "the cloud".

Apple wants you to use its itunes match service in its cloud, it has also managed to deliver most of its content digitally cutting out the middleman and yet still convincing everyone to sell its machines in pride of place in their stores.

It does seem with all the players in this that we know about, and with the likes of BT installing fibre at a rapid rate reducing latency and increasing speeds beyond what is required for HD video, many think this is where things are headed. The race to arms for "the cloud" seems to suggest that these big players are convinced that "the cloud" will become the platform and not the local hardware.

Apologies to ZT for my original post, but he was quite vocal about how useless the cloud was in the xbox forum and that article is years old.

18. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    The current viability of offloading part of a games code for anything that's not multiplayer servers is yet to be convincingly proved, using the cloud to stream a game which is really just a hd video stream with control data being sent back is tried and tested and a few years old.

I am sure the cloud will become more coupled to games before taking over but it's all research as the company's go along atm as I am not even sure this is proved in research papers.

19. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    OMFG, Cloud power is AWESOME!!!

20. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Yeah, as an old fart I can remember watching "Monkey" as a kid and he used to travel around on a cloud if I remember rightly. Excellent series, if a tad weird! :rotfl:

21. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    Sounds like a great show :suicide: lol.

Did my post take full advantage of:

22. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Yeah, you sold it to me at least! :smashin:

23. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    lol.

I guess it lends credence at least to Shuhei's statement of "if developers want to utilize the cloud for PS4, they can" (or something like that).

So whatever advantage XB1 had over Sony with the cloud doesn't seem like an advantage anymore because Sony can easily copy it, and vice versa.

I just don't see the cloud connectivity massively improving my gaming experience within the next 3-4 years. When they stop supporting current gen, then maybe we'll see some things improve drastically over current gen.

24. RedAl

RedAl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,988
    Yeah, on a serious note, I remain to be impressed by Cloud gaming, as I do voice/gesture control on console. I`m an old fashioned gamer so am happy to carry on gaming the way I always have...with a controller. But if Sony can show me a good/fun reason to use the camera or the Cloud then I`m happy to fess up and admit I got it wrong. I`ll happily eat a plate of steaming hot humble pie followed by sour grapes and hard cheese :laugh:

25. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,995
    :D:D

26. Sephiro

Sephiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    As I basically said in the similar thread on the XBO forum just replace the marketing word "Cloud" with distributed server farm and it suddenly becomes clear that this isn't anything new and is infact something that we've all been using for ages (i.e. online save games, dedicated multiplayer server etc) and that's how I see things going forward.

The idea that MS/Sony is going to allocate vast amounts of server resources to an individual (i.e. wasn't something like 3 times the power of the XBO touted) is crazy as it requires an infrastructure with massive redundancy - consider the scenario where the next COD game used 3x the power of the local console in terms of cloud processing and all the players log on at launch resulting in data centre meltdowns or a repeat of the SimCity launch - and that's before you even contemplate the hideous complexity of trying to integrate that level of processing into the game itself with unreliable client network latency and bandwidth.

27. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,616
    It doesn't matter though, the marketing will work. Thousands of people up and down the country will lap it up and think it's awesome because they don't know any better. Like most products these days, there's always some marketing BS to catch the consumer.

28. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    Reminds me of The Forbidden Kingdom with Jet Li and Jackie Chan.

29. turk3y

turk3y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,033
    anybody can use the "cloud" but its how you use it and how easy it is to do so, I think its the last parts Microsoft has been working heavily on.

We know Sony is getting some cloud infrastructure but we do not know what for, given the go live is so soon it might just be to spin up servers for cross game chat and video sharing etc.

To "Easily" copy Microsoft Sony just need to design a whole platform that runs on the cloud, is easily configurable and deploy able in many geolocated areas, have it so the consoles themselves can control it or at least interface with the management of it to request more resources if required. Sony need low latency VPN tunnels to direct users to their cloud and possibly for use inside multiplayer gaming, and then they need to bake all the technology into the SDK so developers can take advantage of it without the need to really worry about the how and where of the actual kit. Thats probably a minimum for hosted multiplayer, to get it to work for compute (if we assume that ever happens) then there is probably a lot more to do.

Its there for anyone to do, but to deliver the same "solution" as Microsoft is a huge undertaking, and an expensive one something I think Sony will not quickly try to replicate.

I think like most things from the previous generation time and effort is more taxing than technical ability so if Microsoft have a ready to roll solution developers might use it, if Sony say sure you can do that but sort it all out yourselves its not so simple. Azure is open to anyone so folks who go multi platform might try to leverage some existing code that way which is a win win for Microsoft, but even then I suspect the work will be much harder to do on the PS4.

Time will tell if its all worth the effort tho, until we see compelling reasons to go that route I am not sure how many folks will. Its massively interesting and would make a great PHD but I think atm thats what the status of this is, a research project just on a massive scale.

30. Det

Det
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,081
    But isn't that why Sony made an agreement with Rackspace so they didn't have to worry about buying up, designing infrastructure, building, etc in geolocated areas?

So they can leverage the already built infrastructure of a company that specializes in it? Unless I read that rackspace article wrong?

If the boobs at EA can host dedicated servers and make games enjoyable on them (such as BF3) then I hold more hope for Sony to be smart about what they plan to do with the Rackspace deal.