The Power Of BOSE!!!

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have to let off steam! I have a nephew who is normally extremely intelligent & smart - really is. he has an amazing high paying job, is very tech savvy & only wants the best - he is an absolute perfectionist with a great eye for detail. If he buys something, he buys quality & will source it from anywhere in the world.

He too is into AV so I really was happy! He recently had a baby boy not so long ago so get rid of his pretty decent but cumbersome AV stuff in order to keep my niece happy & went the lifestyle route.

I bought him a Pioneer Kuro G9 Plasma but he prefers LCD so bought a Sony instead :confused:

He recently bought a new house & completely renovated it in every way with everything you can think of & it is stunning - really stunning - he has stuff that I have never even seen before & the quality of work & finish is second to none - amazing Wow factor but very clean & classy. All the technology is there - AV, Security, Computing, Wireless, Electrically & Remote Controlled everything, Servers etc but it is all hidden & invisible - not a wire in sight anywhere.

I knew he would need a decent speaker systems so bought him a few - including the sats & subs thinking I would get good sound when I went round & it would keep my niece happy. Despite my best efforts (& expense!) he rejected them out of hand.

Reason? BOSE. Nothing I could say or do could convince him otherwise. He went & got BOSE. He is a very smart guy so I would like to know what is it about BOSE speakers that make people like my nephew who are very tech savvy & switched on make them do such a silly thing when there are tons of better options out there???

I had to bite my lip when he demonstrated his 3-2-1 system & he remarked at how good it sounded!

Suave!

Hi All,

I have to let off steam! I have a nephew who is normally extremely intelligent & smart - really is. is very tech savvy & only wants the best -
He too is into AV so I really was happy!

I bought him a Pioneer Kuro G9 Plasma but he prefers LCD so bought a Sony instead :confused:

:laugh:

I wouldn't say he was tech savvy, Sony make some awful tvs nowadays lol

Last edited:
lol. Make a "sucking lemon" face when he plays some music.

I vowed never to buy anything Bose after going to a training session with them and watching them struggle for nearly two hours to get their setup working.

However, if he is happy with it, surely that is all that really matters?

Bose doesnt sound bad its just for the same price you can have something that sounds much better- but you have to remember that would take up much more room and be styled different. I know they get a bad rep by av gurus, but as far as tiny cube satellites go theyre as good as they get and to joe public theyre a good name.

In the all in one concept, in that small a size i would like someone to find something that sounds better.

Before I get flamed I wouldnt buy any and am very pleased with my kef system its just a big seperates system isnt for everyone :)

Last edited:
I had to bite my lip when he demonstrated his 3-2-1 system & he remarked at how good it sounded!

Suave!

Reminds me of often when people buy the biggest "cheap" tvs they can find, have it set to SUPER SUN BRIGHTNESS levels with teletubbie colours and show off how "good" their tv is.

I just nod and agree with them.

I do have to ask though, if
he has an amazing high paying job,

Shouldn't he be buying you the tvs and speakers :laugh:

Before I get flamed I wouldnt buy any and am very pleased with my kef system its just a big seperates system isnt for everyone

True but I'm sure there are a few companies out there using high quality, long throw two way uni-Q like drivers...not just ones that are the same as the speakers you get from PC XT era mounted in the PC case.

Bose aren't bad but for the same price there are far better systems available.

They are much like Apple, in that they market their products well and create a very loyal consumer base.

This topic can get quickly get quite heated very quickly as there are lots of individuals who absolutely hate Bose believe me.

I just don't understand how someone with a super amazing high paying job who is tech savvy, loves av and only wants the best, buys a sony lcd over a pioneer and then buys a bose system :laugh:

I had an x4500 which was top end at the time and it wasn't a patch on pioneers.

I just don't understand how someone with a super amazing high paying job who is tech savvy, loves av and only wants the best, buys a sony lcd over a pioneer and then buys a bose system :laugh:

Hi,

This is the mystery I am trying to crack….

Suave!

Same tv ive got and it was between that and the kuro, main reason i went for the lcd was i play a lot of games and for multiple reasons that come with gaming lcd was a better idea.

Hi,

This is the mystery I am trying to crack….

Suave!

Maybe it's an age thing, the way everyone raves about beats headphones, they are ok but they aren't what a proper "enthusiast" would go for in my opinion.

Same tv ive got and it was between that and the kuro, main reason i went for the lcd was i play a lot of games and for multiple reasons that come with gaming lcd was a better idea.

I just couldn't handle the backlight bleed, for the price I paid at the time I expected "perfection"

I've never found that "perfect" set though, even the pioneer has "issues"

That really doesn't make sense. How can something be good if you can buy better for same price? (and I disagree with Bose being good at the price) I'd rate a this as better than Bose Lifestyle.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/au...ms/home-theater-package/yht-196_g/?mode=model

I phrased it badly I guess, I think the comparison to apple was a fantastic one, I think in the tiny satellite speakers department in an all in one system they are as good as they come, the yamaha might sound as good but brand means a lot to some people, depends what you put value on, Im sure I could get a skoda thats easily as good as a vw for less but a lot of people still wouldnt touch the skoda because they are not perceived as good.

brembo said:
Reminds me of often when people buy the biggest "cheap" tvs they can find, have it set to SUPER SUN BRIGHTNESS levels with teletubbie colours and show off how "good" their tv is.

I just nod and agree with them:

I wish I could be so diplomatic.
If I do manage to hold my tongue, I usually wait until they leave the room and recalibrate the settings myself.
Naughty, I know, I should just leave them to their blissful ignorance.

I would like to know what is it about BOSE speakers that make people like my nephew who are very tech savvy & switched on make them do such a silly thing when there are tons of better options out there???
It's all about "lifestyle" baby!

...and nothing to do with quality. Maybe he thinks it will impress girls, or match his coffee table, or something? Bose is all about the brand.

Why do people pay for Gucci t-shirts? Or Nike trainers? They are all made in a sweatshop somewhere for 5p.

Citizen J got it bang on, the power of a brand is very strong, although as we've seen before a brand can lose it's power.

Take Sony for example, I remember when they were an absolute POWER HOUSE in electricals, they certainly aren't now....

Apple came out of nowhere too, the ipod put them on the map (obviously they have been around for a while but in terms of brand power), and trust me they'll disappear at some point too....

At the minute apple can re-hash a product and people will lap it up, if apple started selling kicks to the head people would buy them and say how good it felt and how it was the best kick in the head they ever got.

Apple have never really innovated, or even had the best product out there technically, remember the iphone couldn't even send a damn picture message and didn't have bluetooth, but they know how to market things.

Last edited:
I wish I could be so diplomatic.
If I do manage to hold my tongue, I usually wait until they leave the room and recalibrate the settings myself.
Naughty, I know, I should just leave them to their blissful ignorance.

:rotfl:

Ive done that from time to time, whats worse is the next time you go back and theyve set the colours back to how they were before, brightness does funny things to the human brain about quality perception imo

I just couldn't handle the backlight bleed, for the price I paid at the time I expected "perfection"

Its definitely an issue, especially at the insane price it was, problem was at the time i couldnt find any lcd's i thought were better, and i spent ages searching, im sure theres far better models out now

Last edited:
Its definitely an issue, especially at the insane price it was, problem was at the time i couldnt find any lcd's i thought were better, and i spent ages searching, im sure theres far better models out now

I can no longer cope with backlight bleed, bad viewing angles and bad motion.

So am plasma only, lcds have improved but they still aren't there for me yet.

I actually hate the brightness so an lcds increased brightness isn't a selling point for me, but I prefer to watch tv in the dark anyway so high brightness is a definite no-no

Are bose a desireable brand? In all honesty? When I think of Bose I think of that bedside radio thing you can get cheap if you collect some tokens from sunday newspaper magazines. I don't 'perceive' them to be anywhere like B&O, who are much more the 'apple' of AV.

Hate B&O by the way :D

^ Adjust backlight then. You're not forced to have backlight at 100% and burn your eyes out. Was very impressed with black levels on a properly setup LCD, and that was a few gens ago. I think there is a cut off point to videophile, near black and it's fine, gray and it's not fine. With a bias light on certainly wasn't moaning about not quite black levels. Maybe he's a gamer?

If I had the space, I'd get a 50" LCD - if it exsts (maybe 30" dell that the biggest?) perhaps a monitor as they have less lag than a TV and no processing so know you don't have to fiddle with settings.

Are bose a desireable brand? In all honesty? When I think of Bose I think of that bedside radio thing you can get cheap if you collect some tokens from sunday newspaper magazines. I don't 'perceive' them to be anywhere like B&O, who are much more the 'apple' of AV.

Hate B&O by the way :D

Bose are "cooler"

"Ooh look me with my bose headphones, and my white iphone and my true religion jeans" :laugh:

^ Adjust backlight then. You're not forced to have backlight at 100% and burn your eyes out. Was very impressed with black levels on a properly setup LCD, and that was a few gens ago. I think there is a cut off point to videophile, near black and it's fine, gray and it's not fine. With a bias light on certainly wasn't moaning about not quite black levels. Maybe he's a gamer?

If I had the space, I'd get a 50" LCD - if it exsts (maybe 30" dell that the biggest?) perhaps a monitor as they have less lag than a TV and no processing so know you don't have to fiddle with settings.

Trust me I would never have the brightness at 100% and I would rather stick pins in my eyes than ever use dynamic mode on any tv I own.

I simply said the brightness of an lcd isn't a selling point for me, and even with the brightness reduced they produce a different picture to a plasma.

I just don't like the image lcds produce when compared to a similar plasma

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom