The Power Of BOSE!!!

On that last point we agree :laugh: :thumbsup:

By which I mean if someone bought me a Pioneer plasma I would be extremely grateful :)

Last edited:
Hey - no Secret Santa hints ;)

On that last point we agree :laugh: :thumbsup:

By which I mean if someone bought me a Pioneer plasma I would be extremely grateful :)

You agree with me Dave :laugh:

gk324flyingpigrgbfinall.jpg

He bought him a few, all of which were rejected :)

Trust me, he knows his stuff - he researching things to death & is very particular - I normally go to him for advice on many things!
Suave

But what does he do with the stuff you buy him that he rejects? I don't understand why you would buy him things without discussing it beforehand as you are both AV enthusiasts.

Last edited:
I too would like to know 'I bought him a pioneer plasma, but he said no thanks' goes down in practice :)

Snob?

The guy apparently knows about av, and is really into it.

He gets given arguably one of the best panels out there, but then decides to buy a Sony Lcd :laugh:

It's bad enough that he reacts like that to a gift, I've been given crap gifts but still pretended to like it.

If someone buys you a pair of tesco jeans for christmas, you wear them on christmas day and pretend you like them, (even if you never wear them again).

You don't then go to Harvey Nichols and buy yourself another pair and tell the person who bought you the gift.

What's worse though is someone hasn't bought a tesco special, they've bought a top end product, yet the person who supposedly knows about the product goes and buys an inferior product :rolleyes:

If the story is true then the nephew sounds really ungrateful to be honest, and I'd never buy him anything again....

It wasn't a bag of peanuts that was given to him, it was an expensive gift.

Disagree 100% with this post!
It's not the ops business to fill the nephews house with items that the op wants... it's the nephews choice!
A very nice gesture (ofcourse) I would be the same though, if I didn't want something, I wouldn't accept it either.
If the nephew wants said SONY lcd then he can bloody well have it... it's his house.

PS. I wouldn't have a plasma either :devil:

It's not the ops business to fill the nephews house with items that the op wants... it's the nephews choice!
A very nice gesture (ofcourse) I would be the same though, if I didn't want something, I wouldn't accept it either.
If the nephew wants said SONY lcd then he can bloody well have it... it's his house.

Which LCD would you choose over a 9G Pio??

I would and did go, at the time, for a top end lcd over the pioneer as well, purely because i use it a lot for gaming :)

I would and did go, at the time, for a top end lcd over the pioneer as well, purely because i use it a lot for gaming :)

Since I have a LX-5090 I'd agree with that, but I'd have a LCD as well- but ideally a LCD monitor, not a LCD TV (not impressed with the trailing compared to monitors) LCD for gaming, Pioneer for movies.

Since I have a LX-5090 I'd agree with that, but I'd have a LCD as well- but ideally a LCD monitor, not a LCD TV (not impressed with the trailing compared to monitors) LCD for gaming, Pioneer for movies.

I'd be inclined to agree but monitors dont get big enough imo, as far as i know, i could be missing the bigger ones, that said in a far off dream scenario i would love a triple screen setup of 30inch monitors

Biggest LCD monitor is Dell 30"

I cant imagine gaming on a triple projector 3d setup, has anyone on the forums got one, I know there are some rich folks about here

There are always more than one way to look at things I suppose - if to you, it seems I have been negatively critical or narrow minded towards choices my nephew made then I am sorry you think that way - there was no malice in my intentions especially for someone whom I love & is family - yes, I may have been trying to influence him towards certain and/or my preferences but the intention behind this was sincere & not vengeful. People normally care enough about their loved ones enough so as to want them to make the right choices & want the best for them so they try to impart (sometimes a little enthusiastically) the benefit of what they know in order to make them happy
I wasn't really referring specifically to your experiences, just the general vibe that comes across whenever Bose is mentioned in a thread :D

I think the question some people have is why the OP is showering his extremely well off nephew with gifts he doesn't need and apparently doesn't want.

The nephew's lack of taste is a separate issue :D

Of course the nephew can have what he wants in his house. If he want's grey blacks, clouding and motion blur that's his choice.

I don't care if he wants an empty cereal box stuck to the wall and pretends to watch tv.

The reason I was shocked was because someone who apparentely knows their stuff turns down a top end pioneer panel.

Anyway the brand makes no difference, even if the op had bought him a teknika or bush the nephew should still have smiled and said thankyou in my opinion

I'd be interested in knowing what sony lcd he bought instead.

And with regards to gifts, I'm shocked that you'd refuse a gift because you didn't want it, can you not see how some people could be offended by that?!

So christmas day a family member buys you something but you don't want it so you refuse it :laugh:

Last edited:
So christmas day a family member buys you something but you don't want it so you refuse it :laugh:

Of course not, but it might go in a charity box in January :)

But people don't buy me plasma screens, I'm thinking more along the lines of festive socks or electric jar openers.

Don't you know plasmas are crap. :laugh:

Let's face it every technology has their faults, but anyone who has even the smallest interest in av knows that Pioneer plasmas are VERY good.

Someone mentioned trailing as a reason to go for lcd, I assume he means phosphor trails, not everyone is affected by it.

I'd always tell someone new to plasma to try a copy of sin city or something and see if they can notice phosphor trails.

For me personally I prefer plasma, great blacks, great motion handling and low input lag.

To get decent motion handling on an lcd you need to rely on picture processing which adds lag.

Even the best lcds out there lose a lot of resolution during fast motion.

Nowadays though you can get some decent lcds, and it comes down to what negatives you can tolerate most.

I can't tolerate backlight bleed and clouding, and I was gutted when I blew what was for me a crap load of money on an x4500.

There hasn't been much progress either, have you seen the HX923 thread :laugh:

I feel sorry for them to be honest, it's not right when they spend that sort of money.

Of course not, but it might go in a charity box in January :)

But people don't buy me plasma screens, I'm thinking more along the lines of festive socks or electric jar openers.

Yeah but he said this

I would be the same though, if I didn't want something, I wouldn't accept it either.

Each to their own though, and what others do doesn't affect me.

But if I bought a gift for someone and they didn't accept it I'd be offended.

But hey I'm easily offended, I hate when I hold a door open and people don't say thankyou, or if I let someone out of a junction and they don't say thankyou.

Thread closure in......
:)

Edit: that related to the plasma post.

Yeah but he said this

Each to their own though, and what others do doesn't affect me.

But if I bought a gift for someone and they didn't accept it I'd be offended.

But hey I'm easily offended, I hate when I hold a door open and people don't say thankyou, or if I let someone out of a junction and they don't say thankyou.
That's twice tonight I agree with you (in principle). Should I worry? :)

IronGiant said:
I think the question some people have is why the OP is showering his extremely well off nephew with gifts he doesn't need and apparently doesn't want.

The nephew's lack of taste is a separate issue :D

I can't get my head around this either! Just how rich are you?!!

I had a quick demo of the new Bose wireless speaker that is currently being advertised. It didn't particularly impress me for the price but the woman in John Lewis said that they had sold out. Recession?

I had a quick demo of the new Bose wireless speaker that is currently being advertised. It didn't particularly impress me for the price but the woman in John Lewis said that they had sold out. Recession?

Most people who shop in John lewis arent heavily affected by the recession. You walk around Guildford on a busy shopping day and you would think we were in the middle of a boom :(

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom