The Power Of BOSE!!!

No thanks - I've already got one ;)

We were talking about sound systems oneday cause I was selling my B&W's and moving to XTZ (best move ever BTW), when the one guy started recommending BOSE because he has one and paid £2k for it.

Imagine his face when I said I'd never disgrace my ears with anything BOSE produces. That being said he does own Beats by Dre headphones :facepalm:

I don't really get the snobbery about people buying Bose and similar, just because they aren't what we supposedly knowledgeable folk would buy. I'm sure we all do it with non-AV stuff that we don't know so much about. We probably all own something that's style over substance.

I have a Nespresso machine. I like it, but some of my friends who are into 'real' coffee sneer every time they see it. They bore me when they try to convert me. Same with Wine, I'm perfectly happy with a cheapish bottle of plonk, and I can't really be bothered with being lectured about why I should try such and such a type. I wear Nike running gear, and I yawn every time someone tells me that I could do far better with Asics.

I just let people enjoy what they're got. If they ask for my advice, I'll offer it, but I wouldn't dream of criticising their choices, especially once they've bought them. Just me? :)

Another in agreement with you here: What we tend to forget is that (like it or not) most on this forum are a little bit 'AV geek' (ignoring the ones that just join to ask where the cheapest TV is available from ;) ). If you go on any forum, be it for AV, cars, calibration, whatever, then you'll often find that products considered by the general public as 'high end/quality brands' are often scoffed at by 'those in the know'. Ask a non car enthusiast about Audi for example and plenty will say they aspire to own one, but mention Audi on Pistonheads for example and expect the same treatment as a Bose owner on here. (I have an A4 for work, so I don't mention it when on Pistonheads. :D).

While I wouldn't chose Bose myself, I can understand that the public perception being what it is, makes buyers think that they are getting something that everyone will consider a good choice. I noticed that Bose is an (expensive) option in some cars, probably for the same reason. However the chances are that these buyers will be perfectly happy with their choice and not be concerned about upgrading to the next new AV thing, simply because it isn't their main interest. Perhaps as Graham mentions, it might be fancy coffee machines, or similar that is their thing. It could be that they are happier with their AV setup than many of us are, just because it's our hobby. :)

I suspect that the OP's nephew chose the Sony TV and Bose based more on apperance as even though I like Kuro TVs they might be seen as a little industrial looking by some...I'm surprised they didn't pick a Samsung as they look very swish, even if the picture may not be as good. Same goes for the little white Bose cube speakers. My OH sometimes buys those ' Home interior' magazines and it's surprising how often I spot Bose setups in them.

My parents really like their coffee and have a fancy Gaggia machine, but I don't really like the coffee and find it tends to make me feel a bit sickly (possibly the warm/frothy milk, but whatever). I actually prefer to have a cup of instant Nescafe 'Alta Rica'. I suppose they must think I don't have good taste, but it's what I prefer. They on the other hand like to watch their Sony LCD in vivid mode, even though in the past I've changed the settings when I've been staying as it literally hurts my eyes...it gets changed back, though I wouldn't be surprised if this is accidental even.

A very long way of saying 'live and let live' I suppose. And don't buy ungrateful relatives expensive items they don't appreciate. ;)

Hi All,

I don't really get the snobbery about people buying Bose and similar, just because they aren't what we supposedly knowledgeable folk would buy. I'm sure we all do it with non-AV stuff that we don't know so much about. We probably all own something that's style over substance.

I have a Nespresso machine. I like it, but some of my friends who are into 'real' coffee sneer every time they see it. They bore me when they try to convert me. Same with Wine, I'm perfectly happy with a cheapish bottle of plonk, and I can't really be bothered with being lectured about why I should try such and such a type. I wear Nike running gear, and I yawn every time someone tells me that I could do far better with Asics.

I just let people enjoy what they're got. If they ask for my advice, I'll offer it, but I wouldn't dream of criticising their choices, especially once they've bought them. Just me? :)

NO - agree with everything you said!

His choice, works for him, be it branding/style/sound quality/image quality.

Just because someone else thinks they know better does not mean it would be the right choice, we all have opinions and choices (thankyfully!)

In my opinion to say this or that brand is bad/good is a mistake (refering to Bose systems / Sony TVs). With in a range/brand there can be good and bad examples. It is very narrow minded.

There are always more than one way to look at things I suppose - if to you, it seems I have been negatively critical or narrow minded towards choices my nephew made then I am sorry you think that way - there was no malice in my intentions especially for someone whom I love & is family - yes, I may have been trying to influence him towards certain and/or my preferences but the intention behind this was sincere & not vengeful. People normally care enough about their loved ones enough so as to want them to make the right choices & want the best for them so they try to impart (sometimes a little enthusiastically) the benefit of what they know in order to make them happy

What does your nephew do with all the gear you buy him that he doesn't want?
Also, why not take him out to a few decent av shops and let him hear the difference in various setups before spending all that money?

Trust me, he knows his stuff - he researching things to death & is very particular - I normally go to him for advice on many things!

thanks for informing us as to how rich your family is.

Sorry, but how/why did you come to that conclusion or make the assumption? The truth of the matter is, I do not have children & regard my nieces & nephews as my own - they have always been very respectful & loving towards me & I reciprocate in whatever way I can, show my appreciation & rarely, treat them to something from time to time.

Suave

I have a Nespresso machine. I like it, but some of my friends who are into 'real' coffee sneer every time they see it.
Really? What's their problem with Nepresso? You've got me worried now. Is it because the beans haven't been swallowed and pooped out by an amazonian beaver, and lovingly hand-ground by virgins in nepal? That'll probably be one of their next limited editions, I'd imagine.

Really? What's their problem with Nepresso? You've got me worried now. Is it because the beans haven't been swallowed and pooped out by an amazonian beaver, and lovingly hand-ground by virgins in nepal? That'll probably be one of their next limited editions, I'd imagine.

Beaver-Virgin would make a great name for it. :p

See this is the point I was trying to make earlier. If you went on some coffee forum you probably would be sneered at, just like some are doing on here regarding the Bose equipment. If you go on 'fancy homes dot com' then you might find that people are recommending Bose because it fits in nicely with the decor.

You perceive Nepresso as upmarket and a good product, but a connoisseur might not. Because it's not your main interest you aren't bothered and just like it because it suits you (and presumable you like the taste). You may even consider yourself to have good taste to have chosen this product, not unlike the Bose owners.

(As I previously said I'm not a coffee connoiseur so it's hyperthetical).

Freshly ground coffee beans should produce a better espresso than capsules because they are, um, fresh. You also have more choice of beans, roasts and suppliers than a Nespresso capsule machine. The price per cup is usually, although not necessarily, cheaper. The other side is that the grinder machines are more expensive and require more looking after.

Christ, wish I had an uncle like you. Best I got was a set of mugs.

As for BOSE, I've seen tests which indicate that at least some speaker sets cannot produce a full range of 20Hz to 20Khz so you get holes in the frequency range. They also are usually far from flat in the FR department. So it's not just about them being "okay but you can get better for your money", they really do blow.

That being said he does own Beats by Dre headphones :facepalm:

I have a pair of shure se530s , a pair of Senheisser HD600s and a pair of Beyer-Dynamic DT250s ( 250ohm version) and a totally customised MF Xcans V2 setup with dedicated off board power supply.

However apparently I still don't know anyhing about headphones because if I did I'd have a pair of Beats by Dr.Dre.

I have however retired from the world of advising friends and family on hifi , video and computers as they seem to think I'm ultimately responsible for when they malfunction 10 years down the road as well as providing lifetime tech support.

Nowadays I just keep quiet. Although I couldn't disguise my disgust at a colleague insisting his headphones were professional because they had the "Marshall" logo on the side of them :rolleyes:

I have a pair of shure se530s , a pair of Senheisser HD600s and a pair of Beyer-Dynamic DT250s ( 250ohm version) and a totally customised MF Xcans V2 setup with dedicated off board power supply.

However apparently I still don't know anyhing about headphones because if I did I'd have a pair of Beats by Dr.Dre.

I have however retired from the world of advising friends and family on hifi , video and computers as they seem to think I'm ultimately responsible for when they malfunction 10 years down the road as well as providing lifetime tech support.

Nowadays I just keep quiet. Although I couldn't disguise my disgust at a colleague insisting his headphones were professional because they had the "Marshall" logo on the side of them :rolleyes:

Hi,

Mr D - you sound like my exact Doppleganger - either that or we share the same relatives!!!

Suave!

I have a pair of shure se530s

Me too.

I've just given up trying to advise colleagues on AV because if it isn't "LED" and can't be seen sideways no one is interested.

I've never heard of any of them but my Logitech headphones that I paid £12.99 on Ebay for sound just great to me

Christ, wish I had an uncle like you. Best I got was a set of mugs.

I thought the same, and talk about biting the hand that feeds you. I wouldn't bother buying them anything anymore, leave them to buy their own stuff.

[Controversial Tag] Elements of this thread have a hint of snobbishness to me... [Controversial Tag]

Ooh, look at you with your fancy new [Tags] How much did they cost? :thumbsup:

That's agreeing with you BTW :)

Ooh, look at you with your fancy new [Tags] How much did they cost? :thumbsup:

That's agreeing with you BTW :)

They're priceless and patented, so mitts off IG... :laugh:

[Controversial Tag] Elements of this thread have a hint of snobbishness to me... [Controversial Tag]

Snob?

The guy apparently knows about av, and is really into it.

He gets given arguably one of the best panels out there, but then decides to buy a Sony Lcd :laugh:

It's bad enough that he reacts like that to a gift, I've been given crap gifts but still pretended to like it.

If someone buys you a pair of tesco jeans for christmas, you wear them on christmas day and pretend you like them, (even if you never wear them again).

You don't then go to Harvey Nichols and buy yourself another pair and tell the person who bought you the gift.

What's worse though is someone hasn't bought a tesco special, they've bought a top end product, yet the person who supposedly knows about the product goes and buys an inferior product :rolleyes:

If the story is true then the nephew sounds really ungrateful to be honest, and I'd never buy him anything again....

It wasn't a bag of peanuts that was given to him, it was an expensive gift.

IL Cattivo wasn't necessarily talking about the OP :)

He wasn't necessarily talking about the OP :)

Fair enough, well my post is just a general post towards the "nephew".

The story is unbelievable (literally), and the nephew sounds ungrateful, but I could (and probably am) way off the mark.

If someone had bought me my pioneer I wouldn't have bought a sony lcd, I would have kissed their ass :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom