the power cable spaghetti - looking for alternative

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by lansalot, Jan 5, 2007.

1. lansalot

lansalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Like most of us, I'm getting to the point where the cables under the unit are getting unmanageable.

I remember years ago seeing a plug distribution board where the plugs plugged in along the horizontal instead of the vertical as is usual (ie, instead of pushing down on the plug while the extension is on the floor, you would slide it along the floor and into the block). These were a pretty compact and slim looking solution, iirc, probaly not much more than an inch thick all told.

The advantage of this to me would be that I could shorten my leads to the exact length needed, and mount this board on the back of the unit. Hence, when I pull the unit forwards, the cables come with it, and yet it's low-profile enough to slide right back to the wall.

Has anyone seen these things recently? I have no idea what they were called, or any idea as to their quality etc, but any "compact" plug system would be of great use to a lot of us I think...

Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWH

JohnWH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    An alternative solution is hard wirring i.e. getting rid of the plugs all together, this is something I've been thinking of doing. Only problem is I haven't seen a commercial product for this so you may need to grow your own, so you would need to know what you're doing! Although it might be something that someone like keene electronics could knock up for you...

John.

3. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +482
    You need to consider fuses for each piece of kit when using these multiblocks and hard wiring.

4. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I remember something that you wired little mini plugs to, and those went into a block. Thought that was a great idea.

guess it went the way of the Dodo now that all equipment has hardwired plugs on (although not difficult to chop off)

6. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Get either a rackmount power conditioner and reterminate everything with IEC ends, or just get an IEC extension block which is smaller and can be cable tied up the side of your rack.

7. Dave Brown

Dave Brown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These are still available from B&Q. I bought a 6-way version only few months ago. The mini-plugs are about 4x2x1cm, and I seem to remember they are individually fused.

Another alternative is this...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=25365&criteria=MULTI-PLUGS&doy=6m1

Dave.