The point of DVI?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bursar, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Whilst out and about at lunch time, I popped into my local Seven Oaks.

I asked if they sold any DVD players with DVI. After a kind of cagey yes, he asked why.

I explained I wanted to hook it up to my Z2, and that I wanted to be able to output with the higher resolutions (720p).

He was a tad confused at why I might want to do that, as apparently the image comes off the DVD in component form, so I'd be better off using component cables to the projector.

He went on to say that the TAG DVD player they sell is upgradable with a DVI board, but he reckons the image quality is worse with DVI than with component.

He also wasn't aware of the Samsung 935, Brainwave or Momitso players (but then I hadn't heard of the last two until recently).

So is what he said true, and everyone who has hooked their DVD player upto their display with DVI has taken an image quality hit, or is he just fibbing because they only sell 1 DVI player and you need to get a second mortgage to afford it?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    Advantage of DVI is that it is possible to remove some digital to analogue and analogue to digital conversions within DVDplayer and display.

The disadvantage is that you are limited to the quality of de-interlacing in the DVD player and also the scaling ability of the DVD player if it can do that.

The TAG DVD player has DVI out when fitted with a PSM board. However it's not a direct digital connection to the de-interlcaing chip like it is in many other devices. TAG take the component analogue signal and digitise it (very effectively) before feeding that to de-interlacing circuits.

Now, DVI can be used to transmit lots of signals. That doesn't mean that your chosen display will necessarily accept the signal your DVI DVD player sticks out. Indeed there are lots that are not particularily interested in locking on to 576P@50Hz from DVI. I wonder how they are with 720P@50Hz as well, guess we will find out soon enough.

It's also worth noting that the DVI input of many projectors is designed for PC signals and the gamma on that input might be incorrect for video playback.

Gordon

3. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    But you are right, if your display has good scaling, and is compatible, DVI output should be better... :smashin:

4. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Assuming that the projector is HDCP compliant, otherwise you will get no picture at all.

5. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Z2 is HDCP compliant. A nice side effect with my Epson TW100 is 100% overscan via DVI, so no more cropped pixels:D

6. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    True. As mentioned, the Z2 is HDCP compliant, but it only matters if the player is HDCP. I think that the Brainwave and Momitso players are HDCP free (or it's an optional setting).