1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Plusdeck 2 (internal PC cassette player !!)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by stevedster, Mar 23, 2005.

1. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I was going to make one of these years ago out of an old cassette deck but ultimately couldn't be bothered :) Glad to see someone did it properly, albeit at £95.00 + delivery.

Mike.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    How on earth do you order one? If there's an "add to basket" or similar button on that site, I'm damned if I can find it.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Hook up a normal decent quality cassette deck to your soundcard's stereo input . Copy all your tapes to hard-drive. That way you won't be left with an overpriced poor quality anachronistic monstrosity hanging off the front of your PC when you have finished.

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Keith, you've handled and used this device, have you? You can vouch for its poor quality? The reviews I've looked at have all said pretty much the exact opposite.

For what it's worth, I don't think it looks particularly monstrous.

Bert

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You've got some nasty serial type cable terminated into a very nasty looking back plate which fills a slot on your case , that you then still have to patch into your soundcard ( unless you use the internal connectors...assuming your card has some..which I wouldn't bother with anyway as they tend to be very noisy).

That's before we even get to examining the tape transport mechanism which for 90quid is probably a 10quid cheapo car stereo cassete mechanism.

You'd be much better off buying some decent cables to hook up any cassette deck to your soundcard you happen to have lying around ( given the features of the mechanism I doubt it will be any better than a 30quid beatbox from argos).

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Keith,

Ah, so you haven't used one... I accept what you say, but forgive me if I'd also like to hear from someone who's actually tried the thing.

The neatness of a one-box solution appeals to me, as does the speed of use (it can copy off both sides of a cassette at once, apparently.)

Bert