1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The plummeting price of plasma!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Jules, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Its about 6 months ago that I was tempted by a Panasonic PW6 as its price had steadily been dropping to around £2300.
    But somehow I convinced myself that it would be mistake and I didn't buy one. Instead, I bought a new 32" Sony TV for around £600.

Trouble is, these Plasmas are starting to grab my attention again as you can now get the same unit for under £1700!

If I were to wait another 6 months, would the price be another £500 lower?
    Now I know that in this game you can stand around waiting and never get on, but do you think Plasma should be the exception?
    These prices have been falling through the floor and show no signs of slowing down.
    LCD is catching up too, and that may force the prices to fall even quicker.

If you had a crystal ball, where do you think the Price of a Panasonic PW6 or PW7 will be after Christmas?

My guess is under £1500.
    What do you think?

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    After Christmas, the PW6 won't be available, and the PW7 will be not so different from what it is now.

Plasma prices have dropped, but the big Japanese brands haven't dropped by quite as much as you claim - the pricing of the PW6 is a special case as the panel is being retired.

3. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is always a reason for sudden price drops.
    The arrival of the PW7 is the reason for the price drops on the PW6.

Sony GX3 dvd recorders are down to £240 from a recent £500.
    But this is because of the GX300's arriving on the shelves.

Suddenly we face the age old dilemma of "Do I buy the cheap model or the new one".
    Or "Maybe I should wait until after Xmas".

Which Xmas would that be? next one or the one after that!

I started by considering the PW6, I then switched my attention to the PW7.
    Then I thought "for a few hundred pounds more I could simply get a Viera 42".
    Hmmmm ..... I could just stretch to the high res. 50" model.

This is the point where I just give up and start all over again .... from the bottom.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Looks like my guess of £1500 has been beaten even before Christmas at RicherSounds.

Even the PW7 is approaching that price at AVSales now with a free board.

Panasonic must have underestimated the LCD threat and are perhaps starting to panic. I don't think I've ever known the price of luxury technology to fall so quickly.

I suspect I'm not the only one, but these crumbling prices are actually starting to put me off! is Plasma dead already?

5. block

block

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Jeez Hodman you really sum up the cycle I go through in deciding on a plasma to buy!!!

6. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been browsing this site for a while trying to gen up on as much as possible, and I have come to the same cross roads.

PW6, PW7 or high def 7 ? AAAAAAHHHHHH..!!!!!!!

then AV reciever, one with "up conversion" or pure component or HDMI/DVI ? AAAAAHHHHH..!!!

DVD, HDMI/DVI or component

While on DVD's, recorder only or player and recorder to increasse PQ ? AAAAAAHHHHH...!!

This is driving me mad.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The initial high price of a product is usually due to manufacturers reclaiming their R & D costs. I think this is the main reason for plasma prices dropping now. More price reductions could follow if manufacturing processes are improved to reduce faulty screen reject rates.

8. dickie

dickie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Jeez Hodman I am in the same process of thinking and probably many more.... :)

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Also retailers suspect the pickings may be very limited this Xmas.
    The mortgage rate is up and customer spending is down.

10. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You've hit the nail on the head Nick. The latter reason is the MAIN reason for falling prices. I work with a CD manufacturer, and I recall back in the 80's the failure rate was quite huge (remember when CDs were so expensive back then?) Now of course the failure rate is minimal, and the machinery to produce them is much cheaper too. I believe that once the price of an item reaches a point where even your Mom would buy one, then due to the potential increase in market sales, more manufacturers invest in equipment to make the items and hence increasing the supply and dropping the prices even further. This happened with VHS, DVD and countless other items. No reason to think it won't happen with Plasma and/or LCD.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oh yes ! I bought a Marantz sound system in the early 80's, and it cost me about £500. Then a little while later I added their CD player, and it cost almost as much as the entire system :rolleyes: At least I got five free CD's with it - I've still got them - remember when they had paper labels stuck on ?

On BBC TV News when they announced that Dixons were to stop selling VHS machines, they also mentioned how much the first VHS machines cost in the shops - £780, which is equivalent to £3000 in today's money. And that was for a top-loader, with piano-key controls. Now you can buy a VHS machine which is vastly superior in every way to the originals, for a mere £50.

12. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    As soon as quality plasma screens hit £1000 i may be tempted to replace my RPTV.

13. J&B

J&B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well,i just bought a 42' Viera...why?
    launch price here in Swizerland mar/apr 04 was around 3700gbp (screen only),
    bought last month at 1700gbp with table stand and delivery included.
    5 years ago i spent more when i bought my 32 crt Sony Trinitron.....
    guess what, i dont care if prices will go lower than now, for me the price i paid looks the right one ....for the quality of the product , and i'm happy with it.

cheers