The Pixel 3/Pixel 3 XL

jjgreenwood

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As the Pixel 2 thread is starting to clutter up with Pixel 3 stuff I thought I'd kick off the Pixel 3 thread. Supposed to be 3 models this year with one of them actually being quite affordable. So what do we know?

Snapdragon 845 Processor probably a given
Dual Front cameras 8mp cited by many sources
Improved rear Camera
Presumably face unlock
Improved screen

What isn't so certain?
Glass back - wireless charging?
Ram 4 or 6gb?
Notch on XL variant?
Reason for twin 8mp cameras and large notch?
Where is the fingerprint sensor?
Processor/Screen of affordable model

pixel-3-xl-render-phone-designer-1.jpg

Launch: October 4th

Discuss

They need to improve on the build quality, had three replacement Pixel 2 XL's before I switched to a Note8.

Still got my 2xl.

So build quality, real life performance, camera, sound quality, charging time, price are few things

It's how the phone responds, so things like wireless charging ok but not a dealbreaker

Need to look at review's ,get it in my hand and play

g2sm7wmij9flfgrt0ud5.jpg

ht3abuki7nmbistykih3.jpg

Be interesting to see what reason they give to Pixel 2 XL owners to upgrade. That looks very much an iphone x copy to me if genuine.

The pixel 3 is on my radar as had my 5x for nearly 3 years now. Not interested in the XL due to the size. Interesting that Google seem to have settled on 4gb ram, not sure if this will hold the phone back a smidge given most other phone makers are opting for 6gb now.

Not really bothered about wireless charging to be honest so won't be disappointed if it doesn't have it. Hoping the price hasn't gone up from the pixel 2 though.

I've watched Youtube after YouTube on this, and I've barely yet seen anyone say almost anything positive about it.
Everyone says it looks terrible, with no only the worst notch ever, but the chin also. :(

The only glimmer of hope seems to be, well the camera will be great, and people pondering about the 2 front facing camera's. One site even listed it as having three, but they felt that was just a typo.

A tiny tiny ray of hope was mentioned, though even he said it's clutching at straws was there may be a secret 3rd model.

Few others pretty much say, Google need to rethink this all. They are price wise financially positioning this model along side other tip top premium build devices and that's not where they should be.
They are launching right at the end of the year, almost just as other brand are gearing up for the newer hardware.

Couple seem to feel what google need to do is stop pitching this against an iPhone 10 or Galaxy Flagship, as it's not. And aim for the £500 mark. Then they would shift a lot more, and people would be more able to accept it's hardware shortcomings.

On that point I'd agree, If the price was around the One Plus mark, then it could be a popular phone. I've no idea what Google are smoking at the moment.
sighs.... :(

It won't be priced like a OnePlus because the marketing budget is much bigger so that needs to be added to the price. It will launch at an expensive price and fall pretty quickly if last year was anything to go by. I got my xl 2 on launch in November for £900 less an 8% saving for my employer Curry's discount and within a couple of weeks it was being offered with £100 discount by Google.

g2sm7wmij9flfgrt0ud5.jpg

ht3abuki7nmbistykih3.jpg

Be interesting to see what reason they give to Pixel 2 XL owners to upgrade. That looks very much an iphone x copy to me if genuine.

To be fair, it looks nothing like an iPhone X. The notch is much deeper & more noticeable and the bottom has a massive chin, which the iPhone X doesn’t have at all. Poor design, likely higher price and smaller battery. Looking like Google are taking a step backwards instead of improving on last years’ mistakes.

I'm not a fan of notches at the best of times, but the Pixel 3's looks horrendous. Why have they made it go down lower than others.

I'm not a fan of notches at the best of times, but the Pixel 3's looks horrendous. Why have they made it go down lower than others.

That's something the whole world is waiting for them to explain to us.
Supposed to have 2 selfie cameras, why, we don't know, and no way it should need to be that deep anyway for cameras.
Interesting to hear what's going on.
Also interesting to see just how as the sales are going to be.
I'd notbe shocked is many hold onto their pixel 2 and skip it, till the pixel 4.
I want Google to make a true flagship phone, or price the pixel like a nexus. And whilst I don't want to see them fail, in a way I hope this does really bad just to serve as a wake up call to them

I loved the Nexus line, with their good combination of spec and price for Google's Android experience, but as much as I love Android in Google's vision, I'm struggling with wanting to support their Pixel series.

Think we have to put up with the notch for a couple of model cycles until manufacturers work it out. In the same way rear panel fingerprint scanners will be forgotten once the embedded display bio everything scanner becomes established in the future

In all it's even more leaked glory:
A Whole Mess of Pixel 3 XL Information Just Leaked

Using Photoshop to highlight what's in that top notch.
You can see the two front cameras, the speaker and another little thing top left.

But still, it seems hard to understand, with all the black waste of space around those few items, just why the notch had to be so dam awfully deep.

I'm of course no phone engineer ;) But does look like the screen/notch could have been considerably smaller and not blocked any of those items we can see.

6b4f913923347cf21baf3e4cb6d0d861.jpg

I'm assuming it does something, I can't see whatever it does wanting me to leave pixel 2 xl though

I'm assuming it does something, I can't see whatever it does wanting me to leave pixel 2 xl though

Well, I'm taking a wild stab that it's a normal and super wide angle lens, so it will be for your normal selfie shot, or you and a big group to get all in the shot. Hence 2 lenses.

It could however be for the fake lens blur effect, but then, Google do that is software on the main camera, so it seems a bit odd they'd use 2 cameras on the front to duplicate that effect.

If it was some face scanning/ID camera then why have the fingerprint sensor on the back, and it would need more that just another lens like that to be any good (like Apple's version with dot projector etc etc)

Sure is a bit of a puzzle that's for certain.

Just a shame it's coming out just around the time of the snapdragon inside it being old and not that far from the next one.
Google should of had this out early summer IMHO, perhaps around the time the OnePlus came out, as they are bringing their models out way too late.

they always do that though, no point in getting upset about it. Nice thing about it is that I'm now using the new OS and getting used to it on last years hardware, which tbh had a load of people upset, but now still feels really nice. As the hardware is never leading edge I'll probably wait to upgrade as the recycle for my old phone now is a complete joke, yet its still completely current and a nice design.

I saw that.
I bet the BIG YouTubers would love to buy one.
$2000 would easy be made back by just the millions of hits that 1 video would get them as being the 1st.
But then they'd get done for buying stolen goods, so none of them dare do it! ;)

That's the pixel 2 review?

You are of course 100% correct.
That was some stupid brand new news story today that popped up saying it was a brand new review.
I looked really quick, and never noticed it was last years model! doh!
Something tells me, given the time left to launch and this guy having a bunch of them for sale now, someone's going to take the risk of a full review before launch.

After a bit of deliberating I decided to pick up a refurnished pixel 2 as I just don't think there's going to be that much of an improvement with the 3.

Would like the know where they got that pricing from for the xl as no way will it be less than £600.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom