The Pie Thread

FlagshipDevice

Prominent Member
Reaction score
As per title, this is all to do with pies. I unintentionally posted this in the wrong section of the forum and a mod quickly pointed me here, for which I’m eternally grateful.

So, pies - we’ve all been disappointed when buying a so-called deep-filled pie from a supermarket, only to find a thick layer of air and disappointment bubbling beneath the surface.

I thought a pie thread to share recipes and methods for really decent pies might be a good idea. Personally I tend to go for savoury pies but all pie ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Made very similar to this yesterday (no cream and proper chedder cheese), was beautiful warm with some pickled beetroot / red cabbage and tabasco - also good cold for lunch today.

One of those area's I've always fancied having a go at but have not got around to yet.
Will be subscribing to this thread :)

We often make our own pies but only ones with a lid. I can’t eat wheat, so they are gluten free and the pastry doesn’t cook that well so best suited to a top only pie. Mostly a nice thick gravy, chicken and veggies.

Made a dead easy steak pie last night with a suet pastry top, went down well with everyone especially with homemade chips!
8FF71A95-BF6B-4D82-BE8E-49B5281DACDC.jpeg

I hope these pies are fully encased! Otherwise it’s just a lid ;)

That’s looks lovely. Any chance of the recip?
Hi mate thanks and sorr for the slow reply, sure here is a basic version that I made a couple of days ago and more info just yell I tend to just wing it and add what’s around at the time! As above this isn’t strictly a pie! Only a top in this case but you can always add a shortcrust bottom if you desire!

hot pan Seal some onions sliced diced or however you like couple of onions couple of garlic cloves little oil once sealed take from pan set aside, pan back on heat with some oil in, dip cubed stewing or braising steak into a seasoned flour, it’s entirely up to you what you season with, I use loads salt and pepper, chilli flakes tarragon parsley,then fry a few bits at a time in the pan crisp them colour them nice dark colour caramelisation is great! As they get coloured all over remove and set aside once all sealed then add a knob of butter to your pan heat and scrape pan down getting all those stuck bits loose, add a little plain flour to pan and cook out thickening up the liquid, a teaspoon of tomato purée next the a beef stock cube or fresh stock if you have it then I add either a bottle of beer or some red wine cook out a little until sauce thickens.
next add stuff to your taste I add carrots mushrooms fresh parsley then put onions and meat back stir and adjust consistenc, you want it fairly thick.
now you can either simmer on stove to cook, slow cook in a slow cooker or I use the instant pot, 45 minutes cooked.
put into a large oven proof dish, leaving lots of room!
make a suet pastry using half suet to self raising flour, add seasoning and some herbs I love parsley, then add cold water until a soft pliable consist is achieved not too dry.
roll out drop on top of mix bake for 45 mins to an hour at 180 c.
Although I’ve cooked for 30 years I’m no recipe writer so yell if I’ve not explained very well!
BF6E2A14-38C6-4142-95F4-05EB590FD544.jpeg

452DC81F-7EDE-46B4-B3A4-CF4EBCAD10B5.jpeg
3708D539-EE14-4A1E-B910-6C307DD10D5D.jpeg
26549270-C930-4AAA-AF94-0139B8BDAC82.jpeg

Hi mate thanks and sorr for the slow reply, sure here is a basic version that I made a couple of days ago and more info just yell I tend to just wing it and add what’s around at the time! As above this isn’t strictly a pie! Only a top in this case but you can always add a shortcrust bottom if you desire!

hot pan Seal some onions sliced diced or however you like couple of onions couple of garlic cloves little oil once sealed take from pan set aside, pan back on heat with some oil in, dip cubed stewing or braising steak into a seasoned flour, it’s entirely up to you what you season with, I use loads salt and pepper, chilli flakes tarragon parsley,then fry a few bits at a time in the pan crisp them colour them nice dark colour caramelisation is great! As they get coloured all over remove and set aside once all sealed then add a knob of butter to your pan heat and scrape pan down getting all those stuck bits loose, add a little plain flour to pan and cook out thickening up the liquid, a teaspoon of tomato purée next the a beef stock cube or fresh stock if you have it then I add either a bottle of beer or some red wine cook out a little until sauce thickens.
next add stuff to your taste I add carrots mushrooms fresh parsley then put onions and meat back stir and adjust consistenc, you want it fairly thick.
now you can either simmer on stove to cook, slow cook in a slow cooker or I use the instant pot, 45 minutes cooked.
make a suet pastry using half suet to self raising flour, add seasoning and some herbs I love parsley, then add cold water until a soft pliable consist is achieved not too dry.
Although I’ve cooked for 30 years I’m no recipe writer so yell if I’ve not explained very well!
View attachment 1299980
View attachment 1299981View attachment 1299982View attachment 1299983
That topping looks divine!!

View attachment 1299980
View attachment 1299981View attachment 1299982View attachment 1299983
Looks amazing and that’s a great write up

I only tried making pie once. I lived in Italy and you could not buy pie and a man needs pie! The filling was really nice, but the pasty wasn't great at all. I did make a proper pie though not a casserole with a lid. It was also a lot of work.

I just buy the Pukka Pies for a £1 now.

I made a maple pecan pie yesterday. You need corn syrup for traditional pecan pie and I can't get that. Thankfully I found an American recipe for an alternative
I don't like blind baking. But needs must
It's an expensive pie to make and takes a lot of time. I started at 8am yesterday and it was ready to eat at 1.30pm.
I have half to my neighbour and she thought the pie was absolutely delicious
I've just had my elevenses with a piece of pie and yes I do concur with her estimable opinion.
The pie is ravishingly good.
It's also extremely rich. So small portions are required.
Would I make again?
Yes. But it's the blind baking that puts me off and the faffing with shortcrust.
I'd already got the pastry in the freezer otherwise you can add a couple of hours to the prep and cooking time.

My favourite is steak pie or steak and ale pie...I don't like kidney.
But they have to be really well filled and the pastry not too thick.
The ones above look great.

If it is the last thing i do one day i will make an effort to cook a decent savoury pie (and a cheese pastie). Supermarket pies and pasties and even those from the bakeries around here are well below par these days.
Canny thread with good pics so far, please keep it going.

If it is the last thing i do one day i will make an effort to cook a decent savoury pie (and a cheese pastie). Supermarket pies and pasties and even those from the bakeries around here are well below par these days.
Canny thread with good pics so far, please keep it going.
Get yourself a PieMinister. Best pies in the world.

I made my first Scotch pie a few months ago and actually it was my first time eating it too. Very yummy it was, but I plan to make it only once or twice a year as it’s a very fatty treat. Also made my first pecan pie around the same time and it was freaking marvellous. Strictly annual that will be too (Thanksgiving). I love pie, all sorts of pie. Just wish i could eat it more without risking getting fat.
19DEFE83-D493-4B78-B862-B1EC14A35532.jpeg
1618662447685.jpeg

Do we need to agree the definition of a pie for this thread? Went to dinner with an ex boss and he complained that what they served him as a "pie" was actually a "stew with a hat on".

Don't often make fully encased pies but stews with hats we fairly commonly make. Favourite recipe is probably a James Martin one for Steak and Black Sheep Ale pie (the BBC version obvious loses the beer brand). I use beef shin instead, beer from Kernel and stew it much longer but its very tasty. Last time I made it our friend was stopped having sixths by his wife, though he did take a doggy bag.

Do we need to agree the definition of a pie for this thread? Went to dinner with an ex boss and he complained that what they served him as a "pie" was actually a "stew with a hat on".

Don't often make fully encased pies but stews with hats we fairly commonly make. Favourite recipe is probably a James Martin one for Steak and Black Sheep Ale pie (the BBC version obvious loses the beer brand). I use beef shin instead, beer from Kernel and stew it much longer but its very tasty. Last time I made it our friend was stopped having sixths by his wife, though he did take a doggy bag.
For me a pie needs a base, that's the best bit. The only allowable top only "pies" are those with a potato top. Fish, Cottage, Shepherd's all get a free pass to pretend to the title but beyond that I'm in the just say no to "stew with a hat on". If you are making pasty them why would you not top and tail it?

I'll happily tolerate a pie with only a base of course, Notorious's Pecan pie is a thing of beauty

Last edited:
A pie is a filling encased in 360* of pastry.

anything else has a lid. End of.

Google says it should have a top and base of pastry. I'd agree. Although the wife does sometimes make a pie with just a lid for quickness.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom