The Pianist UK Blu-Ray up for pre-order

Watched this today - very annoyed by the lack of subtitles :mad: Ruined the film for me as German isn't my first, second or third language. I can decode it after thinking about it, but I am not quick enough to do it whilst watching a film.

Are Optimum going to rectify the subtitle issues anytime soon?

I want this film but thankfully I didn't pre-order it, so I can hold out a while yet.

Are Optimum going to rectify the subtitle issues anytime soon?

I want this film but thankfully I didn't pre-order it, so I can hold out a while yet.
They told me 2-3 weeks. You can email them for further info if u like [email protected]

Ive had the same email saying 2 - 3 weeks for a replacement.
It took 3 days for optimum to reply to my initial email regarding this though so in the meantime i contacted amazon and sent it back as faulty to them this morning for a refund.
I think this is very poor service from optimum, and i will certainly think twice about re- buying this disc as i dont want to get saddled with another reject one, surely amazon, play etc should stop selling the faulty discs and wait for the fixed versions, how many more will be sold within the next 3 weeks? :thumbsdow

I mailed in my defective blu-ray (missing forced English subtitles) to Optimum in London from Ireland about 11 days ago- received a brand new "fixed" copy this morning with a very nice cover letter from Optimum....
Very impressed with their customer service!
Great picture and audio quality but unfortunetely zero extras. Also picked up "The Score" and "Angel Heart" from Optimum this weekend- again, very good looking audio and video but zero extras. They seem to be using the cheaper BD-25 blu-ray discs instead of BD-50 where they could fit extras onto the disc. Personally it doesn't bother me as I rarely watch the extras and in fairness to Optimum, their blu-rays are very reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I've only just received this blu-ray from Amazon and seems the problem still exists. Amazon say it shouldn't have subtitles! I can understand that it may not have titles you can turn on in the menu but I believe an English disc should have subtitles burnt in to the film for the German speaking passages as some areas have little impact without them. Will get on to optimum.

R.

Hi rheumatoid,
I've just watched my reissued digipack copy with cyberlink powerdvd 9 ultra.
In a few places there where German subtitles but not enough to be significant.
My copy wasn't bought any time recently.

I have just had a look at Amazon's customer reviews, at the end of 2010 it appears to have been sorted

Stratford

Last edited:
Hi rheumatoid,
I've just watched my reissued digipack copy with cyberlink powerdvd 9 ultra.
In a few places there where German subtitles but not enough to be significant.
My copy wasn't bought any time recently.

I have just had a look at Amazon's customer reviews, at the end of 2010 it appears to have been sorted

Stratford

Thanks, I thought it had been sorted but mine was delivered from Amazon last week. I've written to optimum and will see what they say.

R.

would you be happy to post the reply on the forum here when the time comes?

It is very bad that the subtitle issue has not bee sorted in all this time.
redlands

optimum got back to me within a day and asked for proof of purchase. copied Amazon receipt to them. Didn't hear from them for 2 days and a new copy arrived this morning complete with subtitles. Good service optimum:clap:

Got my copy from Zavvi last Monday, same problem.:mad:
Emailed Optimum on Tuesday,they asked for a receipt which I duly copied to them and the corrected replacement arrived on Friday.
Cannot fault service like that, very impressed.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got my copy from Zavvi last Monday, same problem.:mad:
Emailed Optimum on Tuesday,they asked for a receipt which I duly copied to them and the corrected replacement arrived on Friday.
Cannot fault service like that, very impressed.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is there any distinguishing features/serial number, etc on 'corrected' copy? I bought mine late last year from Play (I think) and it's in the rather large:rolleyes: to be watched pile!

Just a word of warning that there's still stock out there that has the problem with missing English subtitles that Optimum have supposedly addressed some time ago.

Bought a copy from The Hut recently and only got round to watching it last night. No forced subtitles, which spoilt parts of the film for me. :(

So if you have a copy you haven't watched yet, or buy it soon, it's worth checking it out in case Optimum run out of fixed copies!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom