The Pianist UK Blu-Ray up for pre-order

CJPowers81

Anyone come across any reviews yet for The Pianist?

It's out Monday, so I suspect a few might crop up anytime soon.

terry77

Have it in the post from amazon (£10.98), hopefully be here tomorrow, will post any info then if its wanted? :thumbsup:

Dubliner1

I picked this up at a local HMV here in Dublin last Friday. PQ is very good. I know the DVD was good too but on 40" screen or larger I'd recommend the Blu-ray version. I haven't seen any reviews yet but you could check out some of the reviews of the HD-DVD.

freddiecarr

Received this yesterday, pq is good, but I was very disappointed with the lack of subtitles, esp with parts of the film where the dialogue is in German.

Anyway I sent an email rant to Optimum about the lack of subtitles, and I received a reply this morning to send this copy back to them, and supposedly a correct version with subtitles will be sent to me which will be ready in 2 weeks.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Received this yesterday, pq is good, but I was very disappointed with the lack of subtitles, esp with parts of the film where the dialogue is in German.

Anyway I sent an email rant to Optimum about the lack of subtitles, and I received a reply this morning to send this copy back to them, and supposedly a correct version with subtitles will be sent to me which will be ready in 2 weeks.

:eek:

You having a laugh...!!!! A version (with additional subs) which is not on general release being distributed to customers who are not satisfied with the version they purchased from a store????

CJPowers81

Are you saying there are subs missing from the Blu-Ray version that are on the DVD release?

Or are you just generally disappointed with the lack of subs on the German dialogue? If this is the case then I assume it's the first time you've seen The Pianist, correct?

freddiecarr

:eek:

You having a laugh...!!!! A version (with additional subs) which is not on general release being distributed to customers who are not satisfied with the version they purchased from a store????

yes it's all very weird, it was late last nite, and I just thought I'll send them a little rant, not really expecting to receive a reply and i was surprised to see a reply this morning.

I'm gonna question the rep a bit before I send my copy back to them. But i will be happy if there is a version with subs, I generally watch all my films with subs on.

freddiecarr

Are you saying there are subs missing from the Blu-Ray version that are on the DVD release?

Or are you just generally disappointed with the lack of subs on the German dialogue? If this is the case then I assume it's the first time you've seen The Pianist, correct?

No I saw it ages ago on dvd (region 1 maybe) when it first came out.

I was generally disaapointed with the lack of subs, Optimum seem to be particualrly bad with supplying subs on their releases.

freddiecarr

Update, just had another reply, the Optimum rep said there should be burnt in English subs for the non- English speaking parts in the film, gonna check properly if my copy has these when i get home.

Didnt have time to check properly last nite.

google

Distinguished Member
Update, just had another reply, the Optimum rep said there should be burnt in English subs for the non- English speaking parts in the film, gonna check properly if my copy has these when i get home.

Didnt have time to check properly last nite.

If the subtitles weren't there last night I can't see them being there tonight.

Have I missed something?:confused:

Scott

freddiecarr

Scott

well it was about 3am when i got back from the pub last nite I had a quick 30 second look, didnt have time to scrutinise every single scene.

My initial complaint was the lack of subs for the whole film (including the non english parts), but it seems there may be subs for the non-english speaking parts.

google

Distinguished Member
That explains it:D

You wanted to apply English subtitles, from the main menu, for the film which has 99% English dialogue, not realising that the German dialogue would have burned English subtitles.

I've got it now.:smashin:

Scott

Last edited:

BigNickUK

Standard Member
To be clear. There are no subtitles at all.
I received this back from Optimum

Dear customer,
We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
It is an authoring mistake we are aware of and that we are rectifying now.
The new discs will take 2-3 weeks to produce.
Please send your faulty copies to the address below, including your name and full postal address and we will replace it when we get the new discs in.

CUSTOMER SERVICES
Optimum Releasing
50 Marshall St
London
W1F 9BQ

Dubliner1

...subs on mine missing too- basically anywhere there is German dialog the burnt-in English subtitles are missing. There was a similar issue with Stargate (Region "A") in the U.S. which Lionsgate fixed immediately.
The Region "A" version of King Arthur has the same problem.
Optimum are becoming a little like EIV in so far as becoming sloppy with their attention to detail on their blu-ray releases. The Pianist is also BD25 instead of a BD50 disc which would have probably resulted in a better picture quality. This is Optimum trying to save a few $$$.
Can someone please tell me the email and/or telephone number to contact Optimum so I can return my disc please....
(just fyi, Roman Polanskis 'The Ninth Gate' now available region-free from the U.S.)

BigNickUK

Standard Member
...subs on mine missing too- basically anywhere there is German dialog the burnt-in English subtitles are missing. There was a similar issue with Stargate (Region "A") in the U.S. which Lionsgate fixed immediately.
The Region "A" version of King Arthur has the same problem.
Optimum are becoming a little like EIV in so far as becoming sloppy with their attention to detail on their blu-ray releases. The Pianist is also BD25 instead of a BD50 disc which would have probably resulted in a better picture quality. This is Optimum trying to save a few $$$.
Can someone please tell me the email and/or telephone number to contact Optimum so I can return my disc please....
(just fyi, Roman Polanskis 'The Ninth Gate' now available region-free from the U.S.)

Dubliner, please see post above

Dubliner1

Dubliner, please see post above

Thx- I tried emailing them yesterday but no reply... I'd like to get a written confirmation from them that they will mail a new disc to Ireland before I return my defective one. Can u tell me how you contacted them?...which email/tel did you use?...also do you have to return the box and disc or just the actual disc?

Dubliner1

Scott

Hi google...how did you contact Optimum?

Dubliner1

I didn't, I don't have the disc. I was just verifying the situation before I make a purchase.

Scott

Thanks- just got an email from Optimum informing me to mail back the disc to them in London for replacement in a couple of weeks when new disc is ready.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone