The Philips DVD-RW. Is It worth £600?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul O, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Have seen this for sale for £640.

Do you think its worth it?

Is it any good?

The discs seem really expensive - anyone know if they are cheaper off somewhere on the Net?

Or is it worth waiting 12 months for the next generation of players?

Paul.

2. Checker

Checker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has time slip facility which is very Useful.
    Uses DVD-RAM, just record and delete, takes 3 seconds to delete.
    For perminant recordings you can use DVD-R and if you finalise will work on any DVD Player.
    I use 4-hour record and it is as good as Video.
    I use the DVD-RAM to record things like a TIVO, and DVD-R on standard 2-hour for Films to Keep.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the Philips at about £685 and then thought about ordering it. I tried to find a cheap source of disks but that proved difficult.

In the end I ordered the Panasonic. I primarily want to archive stuff off my Sky+ and my video collection so long term the cheaper DVD-R disks work out the best bet. The added bonus is using the DVD-RAM disk like the Sky+ with pause and play while recording.

I've since found DVD+RW disks at about £10.50 each plus shipping costs. Thats a lot of money unless you intend re-writing them often.

DaveP

4. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the replys guys.

The disks for DVD-RW are expensive - as I expected!
    I have seen the DVD-Rs for about £3.00, so I think that the Panny is more worthwhile.

Hopefully that one will come down soon as well! I like the idea of a DVD-RAM and a DVD-R. Thats cool!

Plus the Philips box is really big!! Why?!

If it comes down in price then I'll get the Panny I think!

Cheers!

Paul.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to say I got the panny at about £700 inc P&P. I think they are being disposed of cheap because the next model is due out soon. I think the list price of this will be close to a grand again tho'.

I took the gamble and bought now. They may come down further but that's a gamble too.

DaveP

6. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The philips recorder well I was a lucky one who paid £1000 for it not long time a go.

Its a great machine - in principle - but we are in firmware hell at the moment and are waiting for updates to fix stuff here and there - gulp (this ain't no tesco special but a thousand pound machine that can't play some R2 discs).

However burnings great - DVD+RW is for me a better format than the others . I have had 75% success with discs done on this machine and then played on other players, and shortly there will be the DVD+R which will mean cheaper discs with write-once capabilty shoud you need it.

You can get the +RW discs for about £7.00 plus vat if you buy in tens but they did start out at £15 so things are moving.

rone.

7. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I'd wait and look at the forthcoming Sony player. It can apparently support both +R, +RW, -R, -RW so is reasonably futureproof - you just buy whatever blanks happen to be cheaper.

Also if / when one rewrittable flavour falls by the wayside, you are likely to find that the supply of blanks for that version get very expensive in relation to the other - or worse still become unavailable.

I'd also avoid DVD-Ram, I see this as the weaker of the 3 formats.

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Worth bearing in mind that blue laser models are to appear in the US next year with 27gigs a disc capacity, so if you can fight the urge to buy...

9. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    £700 isn't bad for the Panny. I think £600 is a realistic threshold though. Anything more than that for a fancy video recorder is a little bit steep.

I have a feeling that Philips version of DVD-RW won't take off long term, it doesn't seem supported. Plus what ROne said about the problems makes it a bit of a caution (Plus its massive! Anyone know why?!).

I like the idea of DVD-RAM, although I also see it as probably the weakest of the lot. However, if its coupled with DVD-R capabilty also, then it makes for a great "free" option.

Meethinks that DVD-R will be the one that takes off, with one of the RW's been the distant second. Similar to CD-Rs really. Many still don't support RW.

The blue-lazer tech is pretty nifty, but I think that will launch over here in about 2004, and start at a grand again, 2006 before its affordable.

I think that, if I can keep my credit card in my pocket that long, that it would be wise to wait for the next-gen machines and see what they offer. Plus surplus stock of the old stuff will drop in price too. Bargain!

Crazy format-war stuffs!