1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Phantom Menace DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ono, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I am in the same position Ace matey.

My order is with Play at the moment and they seem to be dragging their heels, but when it arrives I will probably consign the silver version to somewhere dark and dingy.

/this also goes for my copy of Jurassic Park 3 BTW ;)

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Ace, just out of interest how does your bootlegged version hold up against the official? [​IMG]

Si

3. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main difference is the sharpness of the picture and the Soundstage is more defined especially in the rear effects.

Tell you what, How about I do a shot for shot comparison and you can see for yourself? Would you guys be interested? If you are leave a message and I'll set up a web page with screen shots (like I did with the bootleg when I got it, if you remember ;))

Cheers
    Ace

4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I can't believe the moderators are allowing talk of bootleg/pirate DVDs on this forum. It's not very impressive at all....You should be ashamed of yourselves..and what's worse than having them in the first place..is advertising that you have them..

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hey my bootlegs are legit, I paid duty on them. :)

6. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all the people who remember, I received my (Official) copy of EPISODE-1 today on DVD.

True to my word, I did say even though I obtained a bootleg I would purchase an original as soon as it was available (if not before ;))

Oh and it was definately worth the wait!!! Complete is a word that comes to mind! :D

Can't wait for 4/5/6 :D

Cheers
    Ace

8. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    There are now a number of posts saying that Menace has been received.

I didn't think it was released until 15/16th October?

Do some companies receive supplies earlier than others and are they 'breaking the rules' by dispatching before the release date?

I have my copy on order from Under18.org and am not expecting to get it until 17/18th October.

Should i use another company?

(forgive me for being thick :rolleyes: )

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I slept very well thankyou ACE. For your info I don't own a video as TV doesn't interest me.
    I can understand HCC reviewing a bootleg purely based on the amount of hype surrounding the movie...
    There's a big difference between that and dodgy pirates...simple..I shoudl know..I'm in the videogames business..

10. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Movietyme never guarantee to ship early, but will always do so whenever possible. This only applies to their non-US/Can customers.

I'm not sure whether it's illegal or not, though the back of most R1 packages carry the words "For distribution in the USA or Canada only"

Play 247 also ship early when possible, though as they source their discs in Canada the release date can differ from the US. As an example I have just received Star Trek volumes 35 & 36 2 weeks early; Movietyme's supplier can't seem to match this with Star Trek episodes, though usually betters Play with most other discs.

I believe the Disc Emporium ship early too, though their prices are significantly higher than either Play or Movietyme.

I tend to buy on price first, with orders split between Movietyme & Play (65:35). All other things being equal I go for Movietyme.

Home taping may well be on the fringes of piracy, though remember it only benefits the blank video tape industry and ones own bank account. The 'professional' video pirates based in the far East have deep rooted connections to organized crime smuggling and possibly terrorism. There are also European links to the Russian mafia.

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: Confucius ]

11. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Disc Emporium are fantastic. I used them for the first 2 years of owning a DVD Player and all my movies turned up 2-3 weeks before the release dates. However at £21 a DVD, they are a little expensive and being a Student, i can't afford an extra £5 per DVD in some cases. However, if I am really looking forward to a DVD or want it by a date for a birthday or Christmas then i will still use them.

If Star Wars PM turns up next week from Movietyme, I shall process all my orders with them! My 3 previous DVD's were probably just plain unlucky. Looking at overall problems with movietyme, i rarely see late arrivals with mainstream or box office titles! So it seems its just the rarer titles.

12. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference? HCC reviewing a bootleg IS HCC reviewing a pirate! I'm sure they didn't get it for free!

I understand what you are saying confucius, but I don't make it a habit of buying pirate DVD's. This was an exception and like I have said before I would have been more than happy buying Just the Film on a DVD if George Lucas had released it at the same time as the VHS version. If studios want to stamp out Piracy they really need to start using their heads and think!

Ace

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,553
    If you want discs early, you should also try www.wmdvd.co.uk who are one of our sponsors.

14. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    ono-
    Dragging their heels?!? It's not due for release until 15/10 for region 2 and 16/10 for region 1. I have had my pre-order in with them for sometime now and it is now showing in my order list as 8/10, so I will expect it towards the end of next week. This will still be before the official release date, so if that is dragging their heels, let them drag.

Ace, I too agree with your points on the Star Wars DVD's. If Lucas had released them, film only, no extras, we would have bitched but still brought them. Then re-purchased them when the ultimate editions got released. He could have made an even bigger fortune, but you still have to admire him a little for not doing cheapp cash ins, as we all seemed to think he would. It doesn't make it right, but given no other choice, a bottleg becomes tempting.

15. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Bishman,

I say dragging their heels because Movietyme and Discemporium have shipped early last week and Play aren't even processing yet.

I am also spoilt cos I normally use Discemporium and get them weeks in adavnce.

16. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    fair enough. lol.

17. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And they were damn stupid to do so.

From the review

Inevitable maybe, but that doesn't make it right. By promoting a bootleg DVD under the excuse of it not being available at the time they are telling people it is OK to go out and buy them. Now granted, the article is from July 2000, well before the official announcements came out, but for a national magazine to condone pirated products in such a manner is beyond belief.

18. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    "but for a national magazine to condone pirated products in such a manner is beyond belief."

Not really, how many computer magazines have reviewed Mame? Like everything in life it's no all just black or white.

Jeff

19. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff, I'm trying to be an idealist :)

But the argument they use could be applied to other situations, much worse than copied movies. It's an excuse, nothing more.

20. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    deleted this message 'cos I can't be bothered to get into an argument..

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: museumsteve ]

21. Brigadeer

Brigadeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any differences between r1 and r2 episode one ?

22. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    got my copy last saturday, very slightly disappointed with the picture, heaps better than the bootleg but not as much better than the laserdisc as i had hoped.The sound is amazing though.

23. Chandler

Chandler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I knwo that this has prob been mentioned before (severla times) and that there are poss comparisons already - but I was wondering who is ordering which region for Star Wars Ep1 and why!

Cheers