The Personal History of David Copperfield Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
I'll never get back the two hours and wasted cash going to the cinema to see this "effort". I think a negative score would be more fitting to this appalling movie. It was very much one of those moments where your going to leave the cinema and keep thinking to yourself "this must get better". - Just for those in any doubt - it doesn't!

Never believe the press....The 10/10 stars from the box office / advertising press is why we went to see it in the first place.

Completely ridiculous and bonkers film one of the last few films I watched at the cinema before lockdown.
Think it will go down as worst film of the year for me..!
2/10

There seems to be a theme developing this month:
Loads of new films, all of them bad.

Thanks for the warning Cas.

I'll never get back the two hours and wasted cash going to the cinema to see this "effort". I think a negative score would be more fitting to this appalling movie. It was very much one of those moments where your going to leave the cinema and keep thinking to yourself "this must get better". - Just for those in any doubt - it doesn't!

Never believe the press....The 10/10 stars from the box office / advertising press is why we went to see it in the first place.
I take no notice of reviews in the press or on AV Forums, I watch a movie and make my own mind up.

I've yet to see this but the cast is great, Kermode raved over it and use on 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'll give it a go.

That's a little bit sad.
I think they're quite well written!
Nothing sad about it at all, and it’s nothing to do with how well written they are. Any review is the opinion of the reviewer, which is fine. But as I said I’ll make my own mind up whether a movie, tv series is good or not.

Nothing sad about it at all, and it’s nothing to do with how well written they are. Any review is the opinion of the reviewer, which is fine. But as I said I’ll make my own mind up whether a movie, tv series is good or not.
The amount of people who say they are not going to watch/listen/read something because of what someone else says on a forum or in the media...beggar's belief :confused:

The amount of people who say they are not going to watch/listen/read something because of what someone else says on a forum or in the media...beggar's belief :confused:
Really, do you have evidence of that rather than an anecdotal utterance?

I've yet to see this but the cast is great, Kermode raved over it and use on 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'll give it a go.

Kermode also liked Artemis Foul.

I'll preface this to say I'm not "attacking" you or anything so it's not personal.

I find this attitude utterly bizarre.

Don't you value your time at all? Even if you are incredibly limiting in the genre of films or series you like to watch, there's many more magnitudes of material to watch than you have time to watch if you're completely indiscriminate. Without SOME kind of filter/way of grading what you watch your approach might mean you not only spend your valuable time watching a disproportionate amount of trash and miss some truly excellent tv/cinema in the process.

Of course you are absolutely right in that it will ultimately always come down to personal opinion in the end but if you don't take ANY notice of what other people say or think about something before you watch it then you're going to spend an awful lot of your time watching copmplete trash that you could have avoided.

I've articulated it like this before. If you only have the time to watch 100 films, I'd rather risk watching the top 100 rated/reviewed films and risk seeing 10 rubbish ones I didn't personally like than watch the bottom 100 and maybe see 10 gems I wouldn't have otherwise seen.

G

Bringing this back on track I thought this movie was a hell of a lot better than a 5/10.

Very strong cast and character's, witty writing and an overall lovely story. It's not a hilarious in stitches kind of movie but rather an overall funny and light-hearted romp. Solid 8/10 for me

I'll preface this to say I'm not "attacking" you or anything so it's not personal.

I find this attitude utterly bizarre.

Don't you value your time at all? Even if you are incredibly limiting in the genre of films or series you like to watch, there's many more magnitudes of material to watch than you have time to watch if you're completely indiscriminate. Without SOME kind of filter/way of grading what you watch your approach might mean you not only spend your valuable time watching a disproportionate amount of trash and miss some truly excellent tv/cinema in the process.

Of course you are absolutely right in that it will ultimately always come down to personal opinion in the end but if you don't take ANY notice of what other people say or think about something before you watch it then you're going to spend an awful lot of your time watching copmplete trash that you could have avoided.

I've articulated it like this before. If you only have the time to watch 100 films, I'd rather risk watching the top 100 rated/reviewed films and risk seeing 10 rubbish ones I didn't personally like than watch the bottom 100 and maybe see 10 gems I wouldn't have otherwise seen.

G
I watch all different types of genres, what I do though is come to my own opinion on what I’ve watched, I’m not remotely interested in any reviewers opinions, nothing wrong in that really.

Thanks Cas. I watched the trailer & it looked fun enough to do a Rainy Day watch.

Thanks for the review.

My dad saw this (as probably his last film before lockdown) and seemed to enjoy it, saying it was "a bit odd but enjoyable". So which one of you two do I disown?!

Think we (my wife and I) will wait for it to appear "for free" on Now TV/Prime and give it a whirl then.

Thanks for the review.

My dad saw this (as probably his last film before lockdown) and seemed to enjoy it, saying it was "a bit odd but enjoyable". So which one of you two do I disown?!

Think we (my wife and I) will wait for it to appear "for free" on Now TV/Prime and give it a whirl then.

AVForums have given several of the Fast and Furious films a half-decent review.

That's really all you need to know.

It's a Lionsgate release in the UK, so it should be on Prime later this year.

FWIW, I really liked it. I saw it at a preview screening at the BFI with Iannucci doing a Q&A afterwards and found his approach really interesting. I hated The Death of Stalin, so it was good to see him on form again.

Actually, I rather enjoyed it at the cinema, despite no great love for Dickens (I grew up in Rochester, so I've had it shoved down my throat from a very young age!)

But then I also enjoyed Death of Stalin!

Curious to know if there are any extras on the blu ray (iTunes release is bare bones), if not, I might just wait for it to come to Prime...

Curious to know if there are any extras on the blu ray (iTunes release is bare bones), if not, I might just wait for it to come to Prime...
It's got a making of and a music featurette, as well as a digital code in the box (my copy arrived today).

Started off nicely whimsical and visually creative, but after about an hour & a particularly loud snore from my partner next to me, I realised I barely knew what was going on & I was bored beyond belief.

At best, a trite, lightly amusing 'Saturday teatime BBC drama'. At worst, a tedious, pointless farce with a handful of dire performances, some bizarre casting and jokes that'd make an eight year old groan.

Given this and Avenue 5's somewhat shaky start, I'm starting to worry that Ianucci's best work is behind him.

Started off nicely whimsical and visually creative, but after about an hour & a particularly loud snore from my partner next to me, I realised I barely knew what was going on & I was bored beyond belief.

At best, a trite, lightly amusing 'Saturday teatime BBC drama'. At worst, a tedious, pointless farce with a handful of dire performances, some bizarre casting and jokes that'd make an eight year old groan.

Given this and Avenue 5's somewhat shaky start, I'm starting to worry that Ianucci's best work is behind him.
Bizarre casting? How? I've heard nothing but praise for the cast.

Finally watched this last night and I will preface this with I love Armando Iannuccis work normally (including Avenue 5!) so I get his humour and style.

Oh dear.

What a mess of a film. Wife is a bit of a literary buff and absolutely loves these types of films and has seen countless adaptations but even she couldn't stomach it. ALMOST enough to suggest turning it off at the midway point.

5 is definitely on the generous side.

If it was supposed to be a comedy or farce I laughed (well guffawed) 3 times in the film and that didn't come until the mid point. The setting just didn't work. Due to its focus the film glossed over and ignored what are some very poignant and melancholy parts of the story (especially Micawber and Dick). As a result Laurie and Cappaldi were grossly underused despite both putting in outstanding performances (Cappaldi in particular I thought was superb). Swinton again was wasted though she did a good job with a poor script.

All in all I would go with @enigma1701 and say it's 2h of my life I'm not getting back and it's not often I say that about films.

G

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom