The Persauders Blu Ray.

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I bought this set in the recent Network sale. I had some audio dropout on one of the discs. I think it was the first one. When going back on the scene it would play ok but when it happened a few times ejected the disc to have a look at it. I didn't put the main light on but I thought I could see a hair on the disc so I blew it off and the disc played with no problems after that. On Monday we got to disc four. The player couldn't load it so I ejected it and tried again. It worked and we watched the first episode without any issues. Last night I had the same loading problem and again it loaded on the second attempt. This time I had audio dropouts on the second episode. Playing back the scene would cure the problem as it had on the first disc. I ejected the disc and examined it with the main light on this time. I couldn't see anything wrong with it. The episode played fine with no further issues after that.

Has anyone had the same or similar problems with this set? @mikemag is your copy ok?

Bri

I’ll have a try of disc four later Bri and report back, point me to any specific scene you’re having dropouts on and I’ll check that too.

I've only played 1 episode from my set. This is one of the earliest Network BD releases (2011) perhaps some discs have aged after potentially 10 years? Did you receive a digipak with book or reissue in a standard case?

I've only played 1 episode from my set. This is one of the earliest Network BD releases (2011) perhaps some discs have aged after potentially 10 years? Did you receive a digipak with book or reissue in a standard case now?

It's the standard case without the book. I imagine both versions will have the same discs.

Bri

I'll check mine too when you put the timings up! :)

I'll check mine too when you put the timings up! :)
Thanks Sarah. One of the dropouts was at about 5.20 in when the policeman talks to Roger in his car. I can't remember exactly when the other one was but it was during Jean Marsh's scene at the start before the opening credits. Checking this the disc played fine. No loading issue and no dropouts. Checking the disc again in broad daylight I can't see anything wrong with it.

Bri

My copy loaded fine Bri and no dropouts at either of the points you mentioned.

B964A862-0887-465D-8B05-13A0E9FA2C50.jpeg
D849BBB0-8C75-4D3E-95F2-54693D9AE446.jpeg

Yes, loaded it twice just to make sure and played the first two chapters twice, not so much for completeness but more that I was so impressed by the quality of the restoration :)

Yes, loaded it twice just to make sure and played the first two chapters twice, not so much for completeness but more that I was so impressed by the quality of the restoration :)
Thanks again Mike. I wonder if it's my player being temperamental with the discs? Though it's strange that these are the only discs it's having problems with. I've been watching loads of stuff on both DVD and blu lately and no problems whatsoever with the other discs.

Have you watched any of the episodes yet? This was a risky buy for me but I'm really enjoying it for the most part.

Bri

I squeezed in the first couple of episodes but since Mrs M would rather have root canal than watch classic (old) television it’s a bit of a hit and miss effort, I’ll get there though.

I've completed watching all the episodes on this problem disc without any further issues. It loaded first time and there were no dropouts.

I had a look at the extras on one of the DVDs and was surprised to see this.

IMG_20210402_232757.jpg

I've never seen that before on any disc but the language Tony Curtis uses is choice.

Bri

I just happened upon one more problem with this set. Check this listing of the episodes on disc one from the actual disc.

IMG_20210403_225347.jpg

Now check them from the disc cover.

IMG_20210403_225826.jpg

One of our episodes is missing

😄
Bri

I just happened upon one more problem with this set. Check this listing of the episodes on disc one from the actual disc.

View attachment 1488262

Now check them from the disc cover.

View attachment 1488263

One of our episodes is missing

😄
Bri
Alas they you do you wrong
To miss it out discourteously;
And you have loved it oh so long
Delighting in its company.
Greensleeves was your delight
Greensleeves was your heart of gold
Greensleeves was your heart of joy
And who but your episode Greensleeves.

:rotfl:

Alas they you do you wrong
To miss it out discourteously;
And you have loved you oh so long
Delighting in its company.
Greensleeves was your delight
Greensleeves was your heart of gold
Greensleeves was your heart of joy
And who but your episode Greensleeves.

:rotfl:

I was trying to think of something like that last night but it was late and I was a bit knackered. Now that I've got past the problem disc I may amend the thread title so that's it's a general Persauders Blu Ray thread. I don't think think there's been one before. I'm really surprised at how much we've been enjoying this. We've watched an episode almost every night since we started watching it. Twenty episodes plus The Saint pilot episode so far.

Bri

I was trying to think of something like that last night but it was late and I was a bit knackered. Now that I've got past the problem disc I may amend the thread title so that's it's a general Persauders Blu Ray thread. I don't think think there's been one before. I'm really surprised at how much we've been enjoying this. We've watched an episode almost every night since we started watching it. Twenty episodes plus The Saint pilot episode so far.

Bri
or there the other one for greensleves. :rolleyes:
greensleves.jpg

Bri

Hello Bri!

Been looking at this thread with a quite a bit of interest, as my wife is apparently tempted. My wife recorded all The Persuaders episodes that have recently been broadcast on the Sony channel, and we've not long finished watching them. We both thought though, that the sound quality was quite poor/variable at times.

Have you seen any of these, and if so, how does the sound quality compare to your BD set? Or put simply another way, how is the sound quality?

Not sure if I got my head around your last posts, but is there actually an episode missing from the set?

Hello Bri!

Been looking at this thread with a quite a bit of interest, as my wife is apparently tempted. My wife recorded all The Persuaders episodes that have recently been broadcast on the Sony channel, and we've not long finished watching them. We both thought though, that the sound quality was quite poor/variable at times.

Have you seen any of these, and if so, how does the sound quality compare to your BD set? Or put simply another way, how is the sound quality?

Not sure if I got my head around your last posts, but is there actually an episode missing from the set?

Apart from those intermittent audio dropouts the discs sounded fine to me. I haven't seen the Sony Channel broadcasts but I think you'd be happy with these discs. No the episode is on the disc but has been missed off on the disc contents list on the inner sleeve notes.

The set also includes a Saint episode which was a pilot for The Persauders. I would recommend buying it especially if you can pick it up for a reasonable price.

Bri

Apart from those intermittent audio dropouts the discs sounded fine to me. I haven't seen the Sony Channel broadcasts but I think you'd be happy with these discs. No the episode is on the disc but has been missed off on the disc contents list on the inner sleeve notes.

The set also includes a Saint episode which was a pilot for The Persauders. I would recommend buying it especially if you can pick it up for a reasonable price.

Bri
Thanks very much.

Bri
The one with Stuart Damon, who now on Talking Pictures at weekends in The Champions.

The series would have been différent if the orignal choice for Danny been taken up more so with Glen Ford than Rock Hudson Tony was spot on for the role.

The one with Stuart Damon, who now on Talking Pictures at weekends in The Champions.

The series would have been différent if the orignal choice for Danny been taken up more so with Glen Ford than Rock Hudson Tony was spot on for the role.

Indeed the onscreen pairing of Tony and Roger was spot on. According to everything I've heard Tony was very difficult during the production but he's very good in the role and does so many of his own stunts. I can imagine Rock Hudson may have been decent in the role but I can't imagine Glen Ford in it at all.

I thought the Saint pilot with Stuart was better than the very first episode of The Persauders but the rest of the series is largely excellent. I probably saw the first episode on it's original transmission but I remember it mainly from a Channel 4 repeat during their TV Heaven run many years ago. I thought it was terrible. On watching it again here I still think a lot of it is terrible but there's a lot of good stuff in it too. Thankfully the series improved immediately from the second episode. We've actually watched 22 of the 24 episodes so far and I've only remembered 3 of them so far. One of those was really bad so I must stopped watching it very early on. The set was a risky buy but it's paid off.

Bri

Indeed the onscreen pairing of Tony and Roger was spot on. According to everything I've heard Tony was very difficult during the production but he's very good in the role and does so many of his own stunts. I can imagine Rock Hudson may have been decent in the role but I can't imagine Glen Ford in it at all.

I thought the Saint pilot with Stuart was better than the very first episode of The Persauders but the rest of the series is largely excellent. I probably saw the first episode on it's original transmission but I remember it mainly from a Channel 4 repeat during their TV Heaven run many years ago. I thought it was terrible. On watching it again here I still think a lot of it is terrible but there's a lot of good stuff in it too. Thankfully the series improved immediately from the second episode. We've actually watched 22 of the 24 episodes so far and I've only remembered 3 of them so far. One of those was really bad so I must stopped watching it very early on. The set was a risky buy but it's paid off.

Bri
Yes Rock could play it on the light side in a lot of films were comedy one I liked of his is Man Favorite Sport and he did that not fully serious Mac Millan and Wife, but Tony well did some out right comedy films.
I read to he was difficult on set and Roger grabed him one time and yet Roger had him as a guest for a meal. It said he wore gloves most of the time as of his smoking habits. Un like Peter Cushing who wear gloves to smoke as not to inconvenance any fellow actors or makeup department with the smell on them or have stains on them to cover. He also was not into smoking what Tony was :laugh:
Trouble with me I have a good memory for TV shows I playing Star Trek at present and switch it in on the Horror Channel and have to guess in 10 seconds of a random scene which episode it is, some time I just get it when I see them beaming.
down.

Anyway back to Tony although difficult would do his own stunts and said he never do the series again unless Roger was in it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom