1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The perils of buying SECOND HAND speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jag1967, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I'm a relative newbie to hifi, and want to upgrade my ageing budget system which is so old that it's not worthing mentioning (!)

I've been increasingly attracted to buying some second hand gear as u can get some real bargains which enables you to enter in the +£1000 system range, whilst even still on a 'budget'.

But my main concern is buying used/second hand speakers, esp. from private sellers/ebay.
    Is it the case that it would be impossible to tell if they've been hammered and lost their dynamism etc,...well maybe until you actually hear them.
    Should ex-demo S/H speakers only be purchased from dealers offering guarantees?
    I suppose unused discontinued ranges from dealers would be the best option.

Any advice would be great

jag

2. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Bought about 10 pairs of speakers on here and from ebay in the last 2 years and never had a single problem. Just buy from traders with good feedback. I would be more worried buying DVD/CD players as they have far more fragile moving parts. As a rule I'm happy buying secondhand upto about the £150 price mark and always try to collect items in person.

3. jag1967

jag1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Bassbin (your name inspires authority!)

I guess I was wondering if speakers, in comparison, to other components, are the most susceptible to wear & tear, and thus should be generally avoided as a S/H purchase. And this woud especially apply to the more expensive boxes?
    I would be confident parting with £600 for an amp, but somehow for speakers, this seems like a riskier option...

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Feedback isn't always relevant here as you get one point for swapping a DVD and the same for selling a £5,000 amplifier.

It is often a good idea when buying here to go back and read the vendor's previous posts to see if he has had any problems

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Agree with Ian there; tbh though there's nothing that beats listening to them with your own ears. I recently bought a Servo 15 from a forum member along with a large speaker package. The first thing I did was hook them all up to my power amps and ran through a DVD that I'm familiar with...at reference level. Believe me, the DVD would have shown up any problems:)