The PC General Chat Thread

Guys just a quick question. Like a lot of you right now, here in Bournemouth we’ve very strong winds. I’m reading warnings of possible power outages etc. Which got me thinking. . .

I’m new to PC’s and haven’t experienced a power outage whilst using it yet, but what’s the deal if that happens? My PC is plugged into a surge protector which protects against power surges, but what problems could an outage potentially cause for the PC, if any, when trying to boot again once power is restored?

I could well be worrying over nothing, but just thought I’d ask. Have any of you had problems with your PC after an outage whilst using it?

I’ve never had any problems due to the pc being on during a power cut. It’s only really like it freezing up and you having to power off and back on again.

If there’s a possibility of a power cut then I wouldn’t do any updates to the operating system etc until things are calmer :)

Mechanical drives don't like a sudden power cut, especially if they're writing to the drive. Other than that, like above, as long as you're not updating the OS you should be fine.

Mechanical drives don't like a sudden power cut, especially if they're writing to the drive. Other than that, like above, as long as you're not updating the OS you should be fine.

Thanks. I have two Samsung NVMe M2 drives so hopefully no concerns there. My wife has mechanical drives connected to her iMac, though, and it’s her work stuff, so maybe something to think about.

Just make sure you have up to date backups - but that should apply at all times :)

Never had issues due to power loss on my PC. I used to have a Netgear NAS that hated a powercut. Now I use Synology and that has never had issues either.

Guys just a quick question. Like a lot of you right now, here in Bournemouth we’ve very strong winds. I’m reading warnings of possible power outages etc. Which got me thinking. . .

I’m new to PC’s and haven’t experienced a power outage whilst using it yet, but what’s the deal if that happens? My PC is plugged into a surge protector which protects against power surges, but what problems could an outage potentially cause for the PC, if any, when trying to boot again once power is restored?

I could well be worrying over nothing, but just thought I’d ask. Have any of you had problems with your PC after an outage whilst using it?
You could always go old skool !!
turn everything OFF , TV and unplug the aerial !!!! , sky box ,(or PVR- VHS🤷‍♀) and PC /consoles "Big lights n lamps "
get the candles out and wait it out and play a board game with the family !!!!:D

Only this!!
170821-nuclearexplosion-stock.jpg

Have any of you had any issues with the 2004 update to Windows 10? (this is the latest big update)

It loaded on my games PC on Saturday and immediately started giving me notifications about my USB ports. The message was something like 'the last device plugged into the USB was not recognised'. The message was coming up every minute or so until I disabled that notification.

Then I turned on my speakers and noticed that it was making the noise every minute or so as if you'd plugged and unplugged something into the usb ports! The only USB device I had plugged in was my mouse and even with that unplugged it carried on making the bloody noise!

I looked up online but nothing there would work for me. I couldn't get rid of this until I disabled both Etron USB3 controllers in Device Manager. I didn't have the option to roll back drivers and it kept saying the driver was the most suitable.

Anyway, I then thought 'balls to this' so I went back to the previous version and now everything is fine again - except windows update is once again trying to load this update and I've only been able to delay it by 7 days.

Looking online it appears lots of people are having lots of different problems with this update! I built this PC in 2011 but it's still working OK for me so really pissed off about this latest update.

Have any of you had any issues with the 2004 update to Windows 10? (this is the latest big update)

It loaded on my games PC on Saturday and immediately started giving me notifications about my USB ports. The message was something like 'the last device plugged into the USB was not recognised'. The message was coming up every minute or so until I disabled that notification.

Then I turned on my speakers and noticed that it was making the noise every minute or so as if you'd plugged and unplugged something into the usb ports! The only USB device I had plugged in was my mouse and even with that unplugged it carried on making the bloody noise!

I looked up online but nothing there would work for me. I couldn't get rid of this until I disabled both Etron USB3 controllers in Device Manager. I didn't have the option to roll back drivers and it kept saying the driver was the most suitable.

Anyway, I then thought 'balls to this' so I went back to the previous version and now everything is fine again - except windows update is once again trying to load this update and I've only been able to delay it by 7 days.

Looking online it appears lots of people are having lots of different problems with this update! I built this PC in 2011 but it's still working OK for me so really pissed off about this latest update.
Welcome to windows 10!

The thing is, I've been using Windows 10 for some years on this PC with no real issues. Drives me mad!

I'm still on 1909 , refuse to update !!, every day there seems to be problems popping up with 2004
MS have screwed these updates up for the year or so... !

I booted the PC up yesterday and had 2 errors, my Nvidia control panel had vanished from the icon tray and my Windows Defender kept turning red saying something wasn't working. Both took less than 5 minutes to fix but not sure if it will continue when I next boot it up.

I am going to build a new gaming PC anytime soon (I've been saying that for the last 3 years!) but will wait until I see what new stuff Nvidia announce before commencing :)

I also want to connect my synths and use DAW software so I need to be sure all ports are going to remain in a stable condition!

I am going to build a new gaming PC anytime soon (I've been saying that for the last 3 years!) but will wait until I see what new stuff Nvidia announce before commencing :)

I also want to connect my synths and use DAW software so I need to be sure all ports are going to remain in a stable condition!
I think (think!) the first 3xxx cards will be the higher end ones, with the mid/low range coming a month or two later. The pricing is rumored to be kinda outrageous too - it's all rumors at the moment anyway.

AMD's Big Navi is also rumored to be announced in September and be on sale in October / November, but they'd possibly make the mid/value range available first, with the high end coming a bit later.

Not sure what I'm trying to say... maybe that things won't change massively in the next 2-3 months unless you have lots of cash for a high end GPU, I guess?

I'm currently using a GTX 1070 so could start off using that in the new build I suppose.

(a blog, really..)

I used to think that ultra-wide 1080p monitors (2560x1080) were a great idea; I had two for a good few months, a 29" and a 25" (stacked on top of each other...) and I've changed my mind - the horizontal extra space is good, but it makes the 1080p vertical resolution totally insufficient.
Go for a 3440x1440 ultra-wide instead, or 4K if suitable, much better.

Any one having problems loging into overclockersUK Website ?
just had to reset my password ( it's been that long since iv use them -i couldn't remember it)
got the reset mail , changed my password , went to log in and i keep getting an error message ..

Im in ...

Any use a Freesync TV & 4k pass-through/4k amp and a Nvidia GPU 1660 or above ?
Are you able to still get freesync to work? , or does the TV need to be connected straight to the GPU for ultimate or basic freesync to work ?

I installed Grim Clicker a few days ago and it's got me totally hooked, badly hooked. I loved Clicker Heroes and played a fair bit of Clicker Heroes 2 but didn't feel the love. Grim Clicker is becoming obsessive. I'm sat here trying to play Wastelands 3 but I'm paying more attention to Grim Clicker on my 2nd screen!

Oh and it's free too!

I've been looking at getting a cpu cooler but don't know whether to go air or AIO. Currently got ryzen5 3600 which normally sits around 60-70°c when gaming, would AIO be too much?

Have looked at the coolermaster hyper 212 which looks good value for an air cooler.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom