The PC General Chat Thread

No drives generally come with no cables. Motherboards normally include a couple of sata cables if you bought the bits separately.

No the SSD won't come with a sata cable so you will need to buy one also don't forget to check you have a spare sata power connector coming from the PSU ( there should be another connector on the cable currently powering your SSD that in you PC now)

Amazon product ASIN B000FHQQWY
Thanks, I will check on the power connector and if all is well I will get these ordered later on today.

Is this a decent SSD or could someone recommend something better?

Billy bargain bought it brilliant! Top bombing @Qactuar

I don't frequent pc gaming much (same reason I don't moderate any more) but you're welcome. Kids put a stop to that.
Thanks, appreciate it. £82.94 for a 1TB SSD is a no brainer for me. I've been rapidly running out of space as games are getting so massive I've had to uninstall my less frequently played. It's coming Monday!

Guys am I missing something. Why’s it cheaper for me to by an external 8TB HDD than an internal one? For example the 8TB Seagate Barracuda is circa £160, yet you can get a WF external 8TB drive for £130. The latter requires more parts..how or why is it cheaper?

I would guess that either the drive or transfer speeds are slower on the external drive.

It's a common practice to strip drives from external enclosures because of the amount of money you can save. External USB drives often have great offers on them but internal drives hardly ever do.

The two 6TB drives I've got in my NAS were stripped from a "WD Elements" and a "WD My Book" external USB drives.

Guys am I missing something. Why’s it cheaper for me to by an external 8TB HDD than an internal one? For example the 8TB Seagate Barracuda is circa £160, yet you can get a WF external 8TB drive for £130. The latter requires more parts..how or why is it cheaper?
Yea been like that for years ,
i- like @IRobot will buy these external drive and "shuck" them or " Shucking" as it is know
no harm in doing it , just make sure the drive that is in the external drive is OK to take apart !!

just find the External drive you you want and do a google search to see if it can be "shucked"

Usually cheaper grade disks on the external drive, as it's assumed to be permanent storage rather than frequent read-write.

Internal disks are often more varied with better spin speed and cache etc. External almost always "budget" end of the options but still good quality.

£13-£14 a TB is stonking price normally.

Also much longer warranties normally on internal drives and obviously you void the warranty completely if you take the drive out of an external unit

Whats the best processor and graphics card I can fit into this motherboard please?

Support 8th Gen
Intel® Core™ Processor
Intel® LGA 1151 Socket

PCI Express 3.0
  • CrossFireX™ Support
  • ASUS SafeSlot Core support

Whats the best processor and graphics card I can fit into this motherboard please?

Support 8th Gen
Intel® Core™ Processor
Intel® LGA 1151 Socket

PCI Express 3.0
  • CrossFireX™ Support
  • ASUS SafeSlot Core support

Depending on bios you can go right up to a i7 9900k PRIME B360-PLUS CPU Support | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom

and i would guess a 2080ti GPU though I'm not up on Intel so maybe someone who uses Intel could offer more advice ?

Something similar may have been mentioned before by someone else, but my main 2012 vintage laptop now has a 500GB Samsung SSD for the Boot Drive ("C" drive) and the Applications drive ("D" drive") and a "hybrid" 1TB Seagate drive for 2x "Data" drives ("E" & "F") in place of the original DVD drive (and now unnecessary because an external USB DVD drive is fine for the very few times I've ever needed it) - works pretty well, and my data is preserved if the Boot drive is "fried" (and the Apps on the D drive are basically "still there" but sometimes need "reinstalling") due to some sort of "update" failure. :D

Perfectly feasible to do the same for a desktop/tower m/c. :D

Last edited:
PS: If anyone needs advice on doing something similar then please do ask - but please state the "exact" brand and specific model number of the machine (you should find that on a label on the underside of a laptop, or on the rear panel of a desktop/tower machine), and the current Operating System version, of the PC involved!
(NB : please don't ask about Apple MAC stuff because I have absolutely no idea!).

I really appreciate the help you have given me thus far and I am sorry to be a constant thorn in your sides but could someone please tell me if this will fit onto my motherboard.

PRIME B360-PLUS | Motherboards | ASUS United Kingdom
THis is only a tenner more for twice as much storage

I see an M2 slot on that motherboard though at a quick view but not checked if the one i've linked will work.

THis is only a tenner more for twice as much storage

I see an M2 slot on that motherboard though at a quick view but not checked if the one i've linked will work.
The Crucial has a much lower read/write speed than the Seagate and it's not really about the space, I bought a 1TB SSD the other day and because someone mentioned MVMe I decided I needed one of those as well. 😄

There are so many numbers and letters on the components it's super confusing to what will work or not, I now remember why I like console gaming over pc.

Last edited:
The Crucial has a much lower read/write speed than the Seagate and it's not really about the space, I bought a 1TB SSD the other day and because someone mentioned MVMe I decided I needed one of those as well. 😄

There are so many numbers and letters on the components it's super confusing to what will work or not, I now remember why I like console gaming over pc.
You'll not notice the difference in speed. You will notice the difference in capacity.
Also, any M2/MVMe drive needs sufficient cooling to hit those speeds constantly.

Don't get hung up on reads and writes speeds !
Think about what it will be used for day to day !!!!
will the "new M.2" drive be used for game storage ?
or for benchmarking and/or scratch drive for video editing ?

the Crucial will be perfectly fine for games .
in the really real word you ain't going to to see a massive difference in "loading" speeds between both them drives ! (in fact you won't see any )

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom