The PC General Chat Thread

Hi all. I’m quite surprised to be saying this tbh, but I may become a PC gamer after the summer. For a while now, I’ve been watching a streamer on Twitch called MrGit. Yes, really lol. He and his followers are very much into playing online Assetto Corsa Copetizione and I have to say it looks really good fun. Very intense races.

I’d be wanting a wheel, pedals and seat setup if and when I do it. Going to start putting some money away, if I go ahead in the winter it’s gonna be pretty expensive. But it looks great fun, I’d really like to get involved.

Think I've made a bit of an oversight...

Got a 3950x arriving monday. This will be in a system with 4 x DIMMs of RAM, GTX 2070 & 3 or 4 NVMEs/SSDs. For some reason I thought a 500watt BeQuiet PSU would be okay. I can order a 600watt to be delivered in time for build day, this should be sufficient right? Needs to be SFF sized

Think I've made a bit of an oversight...

Got a 3950x arriving monday. This will be in a system with 4 x DIMMs of RAM, GTX 2070 & 3 or 4 NVMEs/SSDs. For some reason I thought a 500watt BeQuiet PSU would be okay. I can order a 600watt to be delivered in time for build day, this should be sufficient right? Needs to be SFF sized

I would really go for a 750w so you have some headroom, 600w is really at the low end for a 3950x and the fact it is SFF as well will me the fan is running in overdrive quite a bit.

Not sure which thread it was on, but I may have solved the Xbox one issue over Bluetooth.
My Bluetooth driver would not install, so whilst searching for a solution, I came across a driver from HP. Having installed the Bluetooth driver, I have played the division 2 for hours without any issues whilst using the Xbox one pad over Bluetooth
The driver is sp74543.exe, ensure you get it from the HP site and run virus scans etc

3950x build is up and running but noticing the temps are higher then i expected at idle. Looked into it and apparently monitoring apps skew the landscape somewhat by firing up the cores every so often. Had to call it a day but will do a BIOS update in the morning. Admittedly I have used a low profile cooler due to this being an mATX build but everything is installed correctly. XMP profile got the RAM running at 3600Mhz straight away with no fiddling.

3950x build is up and running but noticing the temps are higher then i expected at idle. Looked into it and apparently monitoring apps skew the landscape somewhat by firing up the cores every so often. Had to call it a day but will do a BIOS update in the morning. Admittedly I have used a low profile cooler due to this being an mATX build but everything is installed correctly. XMP profile got the RAM running at 3600Mhz straight away with no fiddling.

What temps were you getting ?

could be anywhere between 40 and 60. This in itself implies the monitoring software is nudging the cores to get a temp reading.

40 isn't too bad but 60 is pretty high if only at idle, what monitoring are you using ? i normally use HWInfo 64 but have had to uninstall it as it doesn't play nicely with the Corsair iCue software.

Yeah, it's about normal for Zen 2

could be anywhere between 40 and 60. This in itself implies the monitoring software is nudging the cores to get a temp reading.

Are you using Ryzen Balanced power plan:-

Ryzen.png

Ryzen Master software has CPU temp and it stays at a consistent 37c for me (3900x) when no other apps are open.

No literally got windows installed and ran a few benches. I have since read about the power plans. Will try a few variants out tomorrow. This is technically a render and edit workstation so I will try the high performance settings and see how it effects things.

No literally got windows installed and ran a few benches. I have since read about the power plans. Will try a few variants out tomorrow. This is technically a render and edit workstation so I will try the high performance settings and see how it effects things.
I think Win10 should choose it by default, as long as it's up to date; I'm still running on my old install (initially done for an X99 board etc) and it picked it automagically.

@Hillskill download all your drives for AMD from here ( chipsets and what nots )

iv noticed manufacturers ( MSI ASUS and others ) don't seem to update their websites as much as they should do .( unless it's the BIOS your after )

you should also find that "ryzen power plan " will be install and be an option to chose from
also update the BIOS too!! , them your temps should be a little bit lower

i had to do this with my 3600 build as well as a little 3200g build i did a few weeks ago .

Yeah, that's a high idle temp. I've got a 3700X with an AIO and it's idling around 25 - 30. Definitely go to AMD for your chipset drivers, otherwise you probably won't get the power plans there. And as @sykotik said, make sure your BIOS is up to date.

I'd also check the temps using Ryzen Master, also available from the AMD site.

RE GTA IV

I wish capcom would do the same with lost planet 2.... Sadly they won't (I contacted them ).

Quite enjoy a bit of Linus from time to time:

Just having a browse at speakers (not that I need a new set) and have seen the Logitech G560 on amazon for a decent price. Reading reviews people are saying they can be quite problematic either mega loud or really quiet and sub not kicking in. Anyone have them and can comment?

I'm in a detached house so loudness isn't as much of a problem.

Quite enjoy a bit of Linus from time to time:

Yeah that was a good one! Whilst the SSD from HDD is still the best upgrade you can do, I didn't really notice any improvement in loading times with the NVMe.
Funny that they thought the SATA was the fastest but I wonder if there was some psychological element to it as the first machine tested.
Was a good watch.

Any one else keep getting logged out ? ( AVF)
happened a few times today now ..

Any one else keep getting logged out ? ( AVF)
happened a few times today now ..
It happened to me once yesterday (I wasn't on too much) exactly as I clicked reply after typing a message.

It happened to me once yesterday (I wasn't on too much) exactly as I clicked reply after typing a message.
Did it again this morning , logged me out , i left it be - went to work , just came back in , it's showing me as logged in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom