The PC General Chat Thread

Supposed to be rather good....
You not played this on the PS4/ pro fella ?

Cracking game thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish , sunk many hours in to it,
went back and played it again , enjoyed it the 2nd time around too ,

The graphics are brilliant on the ps4 pro, so even if their port the game over as is !
without any extra bells and whistles - it really is some good eye candy !!

I don't suppose anyone has a beta code for Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord they don't want? :hiya:
I did sign up, but apparently codes are invite only, and somewhat sparse.

Ooo just had message that my account has been flagged and limited due to using add blocker. Must admit I didn't know I was using one. Given how many adds this site throws at me I dread to think how many it is meant to spam at me. It's often painful using the site on my phone due to adds and that is WITH blocking?

Ooo just had message that my account has been flagged and limited due to using add blocker. Must admit I didn't know I was using one. Given how many adds this site throws at me I dread to think how many it is meant to spam at me. It's often painful using the site on my phone due to adds and that is WITH blocking?

You’re still showing as a Distinguished Member so you haven’t had your account limited, and if you’re still seeing ads then you’re not blocking them.

I got fed up of the obnoxious amount of adverts this site serves ages ago and have been blocking them since, and can’t remember the last time anything got through. The only downsides have been that I’m now simply a “Member” and occasionally have to dismiss that pop up. It’s a small price to pay. 😎

You’re still showing as a Distinguished Member so you haven’t had your account limited, and if you’re still seeing ads then you’re not blocking them.

I got fed up of the obnoxious amount of adverts this site serves ages ago and have been blocking them since, and can’t remember the last time anything got through. The only downsides have been that I’m now simply a “Member” and occasionally have to dismiss that pop up. It’s a small price to pay. 😎
interestingly (or not) the message has dissapeared since some time last night, and yet i havent changed any settings.... I wonder it 1 of the PCs i post from has blocking set as default and that is what i got flagged on? (edit.... yep that is it, i have 3 pcs and a phone i post here from.. one of them has blocking on (and will stay that way) the rest dont at the moment................ )

btw you are showing as distinguished member for me

For the record I get that sites need adverts to survive but there needs to be a balance, the odd advert - on an AV site, then tailored to AV stuff as well as sponsorship I am personally ok with.... however there is a limit and when the adds get so bad that they start to affect usability (and on a phone this site is guilty.... I cant list the number of times i am about to press something and then everything jumps about as an advert loads and changes the format of the page and i end up pressing the wrong damn thing, .....

then something is wrong imo... and it will even hurt AVforums because, whilst it is true one of my machines DOES have an add blocker, the rest AFAIK do not, however this kind of site is definitely more likely to push me over to using one on all my machines and then presumably they get no revenue from me at all..

youtube is the same.... i can put up with 1 short add on a 3-5 min video, however when an unskippable add (which i saw on the last 2 min vid i watched) is almost as long as a 2 min vid i want to watch, or alternatively this new thing whcih seems to have started, where you get more than 1 advert playing back to back before your content starts, then that is just getting to be too much.

adverts are ok but esp now we have options to block, if people push it too much then they will shoot themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
interestingly (or not) the message has dissapeared since some time last night, and yet i havent changed any settings.... I wonder if 1 of the PCs i post from has blocking set as default and that is what i got flagged on?

btw you are showing as distinguished member for me

D’oh really?! I was sure I had been demoted the last time I checked!

If only there was some way that I could have seen that before I posted something stupid...🙄😂

B3CDF4CE-892C-47F6-ABEE-4F1A660F4101.jpeg

Yes you’re probably right, you might have blocking set up on a single device that you weren’t aware of.

A few weeks ago I had the message saying I was blocking ads and it turned out that I was even though I’d not changed any settings on Ad-Blocker. I’m wondering if an update to Ad-Blocker changed something that caused it to start blocking on this site.

interestingly (or not) the message has dissapeared since some time last night, and yet i havent changed any settings.... I wonder it 1 of the PCs i post from has blocking set as default and that is what i got flagged on? (edit.... yep that is it, i have 3 pcs and a phone i post here from.. one of them has blocking on (and will stay that way) the rest dont at the moment................ )
I get the same message , ( using chrome)
this depends on which PC im on (or laptop) ,
my lappy lets the adds come through , ( needed to do this so i could sell some pc parts a few weeks ago ) if all the adds were blocked i was restricted to even reply to mine own classified add , i guess their linked some how ...

how even if iv been on the PC- all adds are blocked, then i get the message saying iv been restricted !! pretty much straight away , after short time i would use the laptop and have the same message appear at the top of the pages ,
but if using the laptop for a few hours the restriction would disappear ....

Theres a new system in place with ad blocking in that once you trigger it, you have to view so many pages with ads showing for it to clear. When you swap between blocking and not blocking (via different devices for example) the number of pages you need to view rises before it will clear. Its to stop people from switching it on and off to use the classifieds.

Personally I just keep it on and will sell elsewhere.

Having a problem with playing world of Warcraft, my pc is around 6 years old now and been fine but recently when playing WOW the game freezes says nit responding then everything stops after a bit 2/3 minutes it unfreezes and then carries on I thought it might be a server issue or high populated areas but it’s random now, sometime s the screen even goes dark before coming back on. Is it dying?

Anybody have experience with a bit of music software called fruityloops FL Studio
putting together a pc for a mate . who's really into it ( fruityloops) and has been for years
but his PC has given up and wanting a new one
the main parts of the Pc will be fine , it's just the sound card that im questioning ?

will this card be any good , as far as i can gather hes just connecting the PC to a standard Hifi amp and speakers ,

If he isn't using high end hi fi equipment it may be better value to pick a high end motherboard with good quality audio built in? My gigabyte gaming 5P mobo for instance has good sound on it.
Just an idea.

Edit that said on looking at your partlist maybe not. The kind of board I am thinking will likely cost more than the £80 you have specced for mobo and sound card.

Anybody have experience with a bit of music software called fruityloops FL Studio
putting together a pc for a mate . who's really into it ( fruityloops) and has been for years
but his PC has given up and wanting a new one
the main parts of the Pc will be fine , it's just the sound card that im questioning ?

will this card be any good , as far as i can gather hes just connecting the PC to a standard Hifi amp and speakers ,

I use FL Studio a lot, it's great.

Don't waste money on that Creative, or on 'better' motherboard audio. Much better to get an outboard audio interface. I have a Zoom U44, but there are plenty choose from, e.g. by RME, Audient, Steinberg, Tascam or Behringer at the budget end.

At the very least get one with good ASIO drivers for low latencies. Also look at what inputs and outputs are needed, e.g. inputs for keyboard or guitar or microphones etc., and outputs for monitor speakers, headphones etc.

EDIT: Just looked at the budget Creative card. At that price you could do a lot worse than this for audio work:

My U44 has all those but crucially (for me) has digital audio out (S/PDIF, both optical and coaxial) which lets me connect it to my hifi amps too.

Would add that the most crucial thing for digital audio workstations is single-threaded CPU performance. Not overall performance. Some aspects can be multi-threaded but in the end it all goes to the audio buffer in a queue, so the CPU needs to be nippy for single threads.

I now have a Ryzen 5 3600 and it's great (I also use my PC for video stuff). Before that I had an Intel i5-4690K, which was pretty good for FL Studio.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I use FL Studio a lot, it's great.

Don't waste money on that Creative, or on 'better' motherboard audio. Much better to get an outboard audio interface. I have a Zoom U44, but there are plenty choose from, e.g. by RME, Audient, Steinberg, Tascam or Behringer at the budget end.

At the very least get one with good ASIO drivers for low latencies. Also look at what inputs and outputs are needed, e.g. inputs for keyboard or guitar or microphones etc., and outputs for monitor speakers, headphones etc.

EDIT: Just looked at the budget Creative card. At that price you could do a lot worse than this for audio work:

My U44 has all those but crucially (for me) has digital audio out (S/PDIF, both optical and coaxial) which lets me connect it to my hifi amps too.

Would add that the most crucial thing for digital audio workstations is single-threaded CPU performance. Not overall performance. Some aspects can be multi-threaded but in the end it all goes to the audio buffer in a queue, so the CPU needs to be nippy for single threads.

I now have a Ryzen 5 3600 and it's great (I also use my PC for video stuff). Before that I had an Intel i5-4690K, which was pretty good for FL Studio.

Hope that helps
Hi thanks for that , i really need to see what he's needing , will have a look today and see ,
from what i gather , he's just been using the audio out on the mother board ( green line output)
he does have a little sound card ( again using the "green" line out ) ,

but i need to see what his "setup" is tbh , and get a better idea ..

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I really must get into using a DAW. I have Cubase LE AI Elements 9.5 which came free with one of my synths but still haven't connected up to it! To be honest I was thinking that I would wait until I built a new computer as my current one is coming up to 9 years old.

Windows 10 activates with older non-W10 keys... Ish...
So I changed my motherboard & CPU (X99 to Ryzen 2); I hadn't logged on with a Microsoft account before doing this, so the license wasn't tied to an account.
Booted up with the new mobo + CPU, Windows did its own thing and installed all the drivers etc, all works fine (yes I know a re-install is ideal, I'll get to that at some point). It now required activation, I typed in my W8 Pro Upgrade key (which was the one previously used to activate the same install), and it just worked.
Fancy that... Not complaining!

I login with a Microsoft account so didn't think I would have an issue with my new build but it didn't activate until I put in my Windows 8 key.

My activation status says:-

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

Which is why I thought it would have activated once I logged into windows with my Microsoft account.

Last edited:
I login with a Microsoft account so didn't think I would have an issue with my new build but it didn't activate until I put in my Windows 8 key.

My activation status says:-

"Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"

Which is why I thought it would have activated once I logged into windows with my Microsoft account.

I don't think digital license means what we think it does - mine says the same, with no logged in Microsoft account. I thought it should have activated in your case, but obviously not!
What it says on mine (not logged on):
"Your Microsoft account unlocks benefits that make your experience with Windows better, including the ability to reactivate Windows 10 on this device."
So, I guess a new device (or new system ID, whatever that means - new mobo, etc) would mean it's no longer the same "this device".

I was quite impressed the other day. Went from Intel to AMD, Windows 10 with a digital licence (I log in with a PIN). Booted up and W10 started normally with some "new hardware detected" notices post-login.

I did a full reinstall anyway obviously.

Wanted to share this. I love this guys stuff. He takes a simiulation game and just goes totally bonkers with them. This one is particularly great.

I don't think digital license means what we think it does - mine says the same, with no logged in Microsoft account. I thought it should have activated in your case, but obviously not!
What it says on mine (not logged on):
"Your Microsoft account unlocks benefits that make your experience with Windows better, including the ability to reactivate Windows 10 on this device."
So, I guess a new device (or new system ID, whatever that means - new mobo, etc) would mean it's no longer the same "this device".
Probably linked to the motherbaord. When I updated my system, I lost my licence as I hadn't signed up with microsoft
Signed up and then signed out on my new build. I bought a new SSD so did a fresh install, logged in with my microsoft account and it activated automatically

For all of us who have GTA 4 on Steam:

You're going to get a new "GTA 4: Complete Edition" entry which doesn't include Games for Windows Live. And this doesn't support multiplayer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom