The PC General Chat Thread

How does he get BT sport? If he gets it through EE then I'm sure he cannot chromecast it. I tried a few years back. It is the same with the sky sports apps, they will not allow you to stream live channels to chromecast etc
Can't vouch for EE as I get BT sport from BT Broadband (not for much longer though) and I can sign in via chrome and stream to my chromecast no problem.

How does he get BT sport? If he gets it through EE then I'm sure he cannot chromecast it. I tried a few years back. It is the same with the sky sports apps, they will not allow you to stream live channels to chromecast etc

To be honest i really do not know. i think they are with Talk Talk at the moment, but again unsure, as it as all gone quiet

Correct but he can mirror cast it from his phone to a compatible TV. Which is what I do on my LG OLED TV (using smart view) as I have BT sports as a swappable benefit on my EE account. Don't get me wrong it's not the best viewing experience, especially on a large screen TV (55") but certainly watchable.

Does anyone have a site they go to for best/optimap gaming graphical settings ?

Does anyone have a site they go to for best/optimap gaming graphical settings ?

Step 1: Whack it up to Ultra.
Step 2: Give it a whirl while keeping an eye on CPU and GPU utlisation (Rivatuner, HWInfo)
Step 3: If it's not great then google

:)

Bought a mini PC on a whim today only because I could not stream Midsomer Murders as Britbox does not support chromecast. The most bizarre impulse purchase I think I've ever done. We wanted to try the 30 day trial as me and Mrs Turps are down with the Midsomer! Could not believe it was not supported.

Refusing to be defeated I picked up this little thing that will only be used to stream stuff and plug straight into the telly. Went for the 4GB RAM version as had a £10 voucher. Getting delivered tomorrow. Got a wireless keyboard and mouse already and I thought why not treat myself. I'm hoping it can also run MAME so we can play some Junior PacMan and Gyruss. With my DVD player pretty much redundant and the box sets and DVDs of the series expensive I figured its worth a punt. :smashin:

Looking forward to see how it performs.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
@drinkturps

Be intreseted in hearing your thoughts on that mini pc you bought, was looking at that the other day if truth be told, i would be using it just to stream some stuff, and a little bit of browsing.

Thanks

@drinkturps

Be intreseted in hearing your thoughts on that mini pc you bought, was looking at that the other day if truth be told, i would be using it just to stream some stuff, and a little bit of browsing.

Thanks
No problem, I'll have an experiment and report back. I'm hoping it comes early doors tomorrow. The reviews seemed positive and some of the reviewers wrote a lot of stuff about it. The 2GB RAM and 32GB disk space version will not be enough at all as that's the minimum requirement for W10 and we all know what MS and specs are like! Most of the complaints were about the cheaper version running out of space.

I think with 64GB storage, 4GB RAM and that CPU it should do what I want it to do. As long as I can stream stuff without staggering at 1080p I'm happy. People have been running Office 365 on it and browsing without any issues. If my phone can do it, I'm sure this thing can do it. I'll keep you posted. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Anyone played MechWarrior 5 ?

It's on the Epic Store for £39.99 but they have a £10 discount voucher thingy, I watched a few gameplay videos and it looks really good.

@drinkturps

Thanks
Works a treat! Easy to set up and get going. I can't believe how small it is and it is totally silent. It's steaming britbox flawlessly over 5Ghz wifi to the telly and looks great. It's not as snappy as a regular machine (bit obvious but worth mentioning) but for the price, size and convenience it's perfect for my needs. Browsing is a little slow with displaying images but I'm only using Edge at present and not updated all the drivers or patched to the latest W10 release. The GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 400 so don't expect any gaming. Overall I'm a very happy chappy. Bring it on Midsomer!

Works a treat! Easy to set up and get going. I can't believe how small it is and it is totally silent. It's steaming britbox flawlessly over 5Ghz wifi to the telly and looks great. It's not as snappy as a regular machine (bit obvious but worth mentioning) but for the price, size and convenience it's perfect for my needs. Browsing is a little slow with displaying images but I'm only using Edge at present and not updated all the drivers or patched to the latest W10 release. The GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 400 so don't expect any gaming. Overall I'm a very happy chappy. Bring it on Midsomer!

Thanks @drinkturps , much appreciated, sounds like it is a nice liitle poiece of equipment for the price, just want somehting for some slight browsing, and stremaing that is all, and this sounds like it could be well worth a purchase.

Thanks again.

Thanks @drinkturps , much appreciated, sounds like it is a nice liitle poiece of equipment for the price, just want somehting for some slight browsing, and stremaing that is all, and this sounds like it could be well worth a purchase.

Thanks again.
I don't think you'll go too far wrong with what you want to use it for. I'm now running Windows 10 1909, updated graphics drivers and it's behaving better. I had to use the MS upgrade assistant to get to the current Win10 release as using windows update it got stuck at 99% download. However, with everything updated and a disk clean up I've got 40GB free. That's plenty of room to stick Office 365 on and there's also the SD card expansion slot if you need it. For what it is I'm really impressed by it.

talking on phone whilst driving.....
I learned something new today.

it really p....s me off when i see people driving whilst on their phones.... hands free kits are so cheap now and most cars newer than 5 years old have blue tooth built in (my mid spec 2011 308 and my 2013 nissan QQ has them) so I never understood why anyone needs to talk on their phone whilst driving and holding a phone.

BUT.
did you know that driving whilst using hands free is still exactly the same offence as driving holding your phone? I must admit I didnt, and actually it is pretty disingenuous imo cars having those features without making it quite clear you should still pull over if you want to use them.

A colleague of mine went on a driving awareness course and he said it was an eye opener for everyone on the course!.

I never use my phone when driving. It may be in my pocket and turned on but I will never answer it or take it out to look at a text.

I can’t understand why people feel the need to use them whilst driving anyway. Maybe it’s because I’m from an era where most people on our street didn’t even have a landline phone when I was growing up and I was 15 before we got a phone. If you needed to make a call when you were out you just used a phone box but honestly most people do not need to be making calls when out.

The only time I have used mine (hands free without knowing it was still an offence) was when in stand still traffic phoning the wife to let her know i was going to be late... which happens every few months

Truth is i probably still will. Am not sure what could go wrong when using hands free in a traffic jam.... but i dont use it generally whilst driving regardless of hands free or not.

edit.. interestingly i was just given the following link

that link looks pretty explicit. and is exactly the opposite of what was said at the driving awareness course!.

Last edited:
Have to admit I didn't know. To be honest I hate talking on a phone even hands free when driving as I can't talk and drive at the same time - so I don't!

@drinkturps

Many thanks again, will definetly pick one up after the holidays, sounds a great little piece of kit once updated.

Thanks

talking on phone whilst driving.....
I learned something new today.

it really p....s me off when i see people driving whilst on their phones.... hands free kits are so cheap now and most cars newer than 5 years old have blue tooth built in (my mid spec 2011 308 and my 2013 nissan QQ has them) so I never understood why anyone needs to talk on their phone whilst driving and holding a phone.

BUT.
did you know that driving whilst using hands free is still exactly the same offence as driving holding your phone? I must admit I didnt, and actually it is pretty disingenuous imo cars having those features without making it quite clear you should still pull over if you want to use them.

A colleague of mine went on a driving awareness course and he said it was an eye opener for everyone on the course!.

This is wrong, it is not an offence to use a mobile phone hands-free. This is the specific legislation:

It specifically references the device being used hand-held and there are no references to hands-free devices. There is an update planned for next year that will tighten the legislation to prevent people claiming they were using their phone as a camera or music player and therefore it's not a phone but there's no references to changes to how hands-free phones are treated:

I've never been on any course but I've repeatedly heard people explaining something they've learnt on the course which is completely wrong as is the case here.

I'm not advocating or supporting mobile phone use in cars, I find it alarming how many people I see make mistakes driving and they've one hand on a phone. I don't use the phone at all in the car although I do have a separate tablet showing video when playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 and it's a great demonstration why it's so dangerous as even with just quick glances at the tablet I end up drifting off the road.

It scares me that most car manufacturers are now swapping out all switches and knobs with touch screens. It’s much harder to use a touch screen whilst driving in my opinion and takes your eyes off the road. With a proper switch you can feel for it rather than have to look at it to hit the right part of the screen. The state of the roads also make the touch screens harder to use because you’re riding over bumps and holes and trying to get your finger to hit the screen in the right area.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hope you've all had a wonderful day and that your top button is well and truly undone after a cracking lunch. :D

Happy Christmas everyone :) <3

Happy Christmas everyone :) <3

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom