The PC General Chat Thread

Here's one for you lovely folks.

Question: cloning/upgrading an NVMe drive, when you have only one M2 slot ... how have people successfully managed this?

I've got a 128GB NVMe drive, with a secondary 1TB SSD, but know that black Friday is going to be hard to resist if a 1TB NVMe is going cheap...

My guesses are:

1. Enclosure of new disk and clone externally
2. Some sort of software solution that can work via a USB/external on boot and clone that way

Any thoughts? It's a brave new world for me with a laptop (my i5 2500 was built 8 years ago now...it's had a good innings), so determined to get it in good shape before migrating my life over. Already increased RAM to 16GB and added the 1TB disk, but just the boot drive to think about now.

Lucked out with this laptop in a "refurb" deal on eBay - listing had an error and instead of a Dell grade B refurb, I got a brand new under warranty machine for £249 (i7 8565U, 8GB,128GB/1TB spinner/17" screen/ATI GPU). It'll be a lightroom workhorse mainly with the our 32" 1440p screen, but I might put the odd legacy game on there :D

Here's one for you lovely folks.

Question: cloning/upgrading an NVMe drive, when you have only one M2 slot ... how have people successfully managed this?

I've got a 128GB NVMe drive, with a secondary 1TB SSD, but know that black Friday is going to be hard to resist if a 1TB NVMe is going cheap...

My guesses are:

1. Enclosure of new disk and clone externally
2. Some sort of software solution that can work via a USB/external on boot and clone that way

Any thoughts? It's a brave new world for me with a laptop (my i5 2500 was built 8 years ago now...it's had a good innings), so determined to get it in good shape before migrating my life over. Already increased RAM to 16GB and added the 1TB disk, but just the boot drive to think about now.

Lucked out with this laptop in a "refurb" deal on eBay - listing had an error and instead of a Dell grade B refurb, I got a brand new under warranty machine for £249 (i7 8565U, 8GB,128GB/1TB spinner/17" screen/ATI GPU). It'll be a lightroom workhorse mainly with the our 32" 1440p screen, but I might put the odd legacy game on there :D
Thinking aloud here but if there's sufficient space on the 1TB SSD you could create a new partition and clone the NVMe to the SSD and make that new partition the bootable drive. Change the boot order in your BIOS so temporarily you are booting from the SSD. You could then put in your new NVMe and then clone the boot partition drive from the SSD back to the new 1TB NVMe swapping the boot order again in BIOS. I've done this before from disk to disk and disk to NVMe but I've been using the Samsung cloning tool. It's worked a treat but I cannot comment on how that tool would work with your setup. Others may be able to assist here. It should be do-able without too much fuss and the tools are out there....... *x-files music*

Thinking aloud here but if there's sufficient space on the 1TB SSD you could create a new partition and clone the NVMe to the SSD and make that new partition the bootable drive. Change the boot order in your BIOS so temporarily you are booting from the SSD. You could then put in your new NVMe and then clone the boot partition drive from the SSD back to the new 1TB NVMe swapping the boot order again in BIOS. I've done this before from disk to disk and disk to NVMe but I've been using the Samsung cloning tool. It's worked a treat but I cannot comment on how that tool would work with your setup. Others may be able to assist here. It should be do-able without too much fuss and the tools are out there....... *x-files music*
The 1TB disk is practically empty at the moment, while I mull over the best way to transition to the new laptop, but your suggestion sounds logical - what software is the Samsung cloning tool?

It's the Samsung Data Migration Software for Consumer (need to scroll down a little). I have no idea if this will work with non-Samsung SSD/NVMe drives. I'd check their documentation and do a google to see if this is ok first.

It's the Samsung Data Migration Software for Consumer (need to scroll down a little). I have no idea if this will work with non-Samsung SSD/NVMe drives. I'd check their documentation and do a google to see if this is ok first.
"This software is not compatible with other manufacturers' SSDs." Sounds about right in fairness!

"This software is not compatible with other manufacturers' SSDs." Sounds about right in fairness!
Ah, I thought that may happen. I'm sure there are plenty of other tools out there that you can use. I personally have only used the Samsung one but I'm sure others can chip in.

WARNING... don't update Windows 10 if you receive an email telling you to do so.

WARNING... don't update Windows 10 if you receive an email telling you to do so.

Do people really still click links in emails telling them to log in, update, send details etc etc. :confused:

I was going to say that anyone who clicks on these sort of email links perhaps deserves to be infected ;) :)

Do people really still click links in emails telling them to log in, update, send details etc etc. :confused:
I think the less tech-savvy part of the population would unfortunately. These emails go out in the millions, and if only 1% respond, that's still a huge number.

A bit of advice please, my partners father wants to watch bt sport on his tv, problem is , his tv is rather old, so thinking of buying him a chrome cast, but need some ideas on a cheap tablet that will stream to the chromecast without any issues.

Thanks all.

A bit of advice please, my partners father wants to watch bt sport on his tv, problem is , his tv is rather old, so thinking of buying him a chrome cast, but need some ideas on a cheap tablet that will stream to the chromecast without any issues.

Thanks all.
There's a lot of black Friday deals on Amazon at the moment so you may get lucky there. They've got this Huawei MediaPad 7" tablet for £60

AO have also got some deals going on there's 7" Lenovo for £40

If all the tablet is going to be used for is streaming then it's good to go but if he wants to do other stuff with it then you may want to go for something with a bit more grunt.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Black friday tv deals ,

a mate wants a new tv for his GF , and has ask me to have a quick look at some ,
these two are within budget , and have all the "needs" ( netflix , amazon prime , now tv , )

one thing that caught my eye is their only 50hz ,
i don't think i have seen a tv with just 50 hz before ,
shouldn't be a problem for his GF , but if he ever decides to take his PS4 over to play , i can see this been a problem

is this a new thing ? 50hz tv's ?

There's a lot of black Friday deals on Amazon at the moment so you may get lucky there. They've got this Huawei MediaPad 7" tablet for £60

AO have also got some deals going on there's 7" Lenovo for £40

If all the tablet is going to be used for is streaming then it's good to go but if he wants to do other stuff with it then you may want to go for something with a bit more grunt.

Thanks drinkturps, he is just interested in Bt sports, as long as he can stream to the chromecast i am sure he will be happy, will check those tablets out.

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
So after looking and debating for a few months I've just picked up this Acer Helios 300 as it had a few quid knocked off, I've always been a console gamer so this will be new for me.

I've done some browsing regarding monitors but there's a lot of info about and it's a bit confusing, with the specs for the laptop should I be looking at 1080p and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks drinkturps, he is just interested in Bt sports, as long as he can stream to the chromecast i am sure he will be happy, will check those tablets out.

Thanks
Even if he's got an android phone, that is perfectly capable of doing streaming too. I use both Mrs Turps tablet, PC and our phones. Anything can do it once the browser extension is on.

Anyone played Ori and the Blind Forest? The prologue ... jeez 😭

Have been looking abit more at monitors and think I've decided on this AOC 24G2U. I think it's only recently been released so there isn't many reviews around for it, but what I've read seems positive

Help please!
Have a newish game PC which can run all i need.

Problem is even though i save the controller / Wheel allocation settings after setting ,when switching on the next day most settings have gone and i have to redo again.

Using Fanatec v 2.5 club sport with 3 pedals and Fanatec shifter.

Race room ,
Forza 3 pc,
R factor 2,
These are the culprits.

Dirt rally 2 seems ok.
I have reinstalled drivers on Fanatec.

I tried to buy xplane 11 using my wallet balance as a gift for my son as it was on sale for Christmas and I get this error:

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.

I am trying to schedule delivery as well for December 25th.

I then get an email saying I have 72 hnours to repurchase (still getting the discounted price) but every attempt to buy still comes up with this error.

I have logged a ticket with Steam support but no idea how long that will take to process.

Account is in good standing with a wallet balance of £50 and my son is in my friend list (I select him when choosing who to gift it to).

Am I doing something obviously wrong here?

Thanks all.
How does he get BT sport? If he gets it through EE then I'm sure he cannot chromecast it. I tried a few years back. It is the same with the sky sports apps, they will not allow you to stream live channels to chromecast etc

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom