The PC General Chat Thread

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sebastalona, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,313
    It is indeed mate, had it bookmarked, very useful.

2. cabanatuan

cabanatuan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,950
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,933
    Thanks for the advice and links, Saved me about 30gb in a couple of minutes!

4. Nemesis X2

Nemesis X2
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,507
    Finally got around to watching Rush.... great viewing.

5. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
  6. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,313
    Is it just me, or has this ET game excavation been the biggest non-event in gaming history??

"We have excavated these games...........from exactly the same fudgeing spot they were buried".

Far out!

7. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
    I think its BS too pal.

8. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
    I thought "no sh*t sherlock..."

9. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,313
    Exactly! Give me £200,000 to make a film and I'll excavate my back garden, I'm almost certain that dead prostitute will still be there!

10. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
    If the government really is watching our online activity I'd expect the police to take your front door of anytime soon. :rotfl:

11. dieeasysteve

dieeasysteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I'm sure it's just Scottish slang for Hamster! :)

12. andiuk007

andiuk007
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,868
    I couldn't see myself going in pets at home and asking for a dead prostitute.:laugh:

13. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    It was thought to be an urban myth - that a company could bury (and then concrete over) games in a Mexican Landfill does seem a little farfetched. Turned out to be true though!

14. aslird

aslird
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
  15. Sebastalona

Sebastalona
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,313
    Doesn't everything go to landfill?!

16. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,613
    As much as I'm not a fan of Apple or their business practices, you'd be forgiven thinking the above are the ramblings of a fanboy in the playground, not the CEO of the largest publicly traded company in the world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,202
    Just a marketing stunt. Now they will sell those "rare" (ie as worthless as before) copies for big money and people will put them on stands in their livingrooms.

18. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I have had the worst gaming night eveh.

Crap at Dota, sucked at Battlefield, even worse that I came top of our team and I sucked.

I expect the cat will be run over now, just to top off my night.

Of course, I will need to find a late night cat shop, buy one, then come home, then let it out before it got run over, but still, seeing how things have gone tonight, its possible.

19. aslird

aslird
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
  20. ODB_69

ODB_69
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
  21. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,815
  22. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,753
  23. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,699
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  24. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Thought you lot might want to read my little writeup of the LAN session I had at my mates over the Bank Holiday weekend......

Thursday 21st May

Its the day before the LAN session, and I am there just after 9am to help set things up. Pelet has already made a cracking start, only falling foul of the usual space versus cabling issues that always plague a setup. We can crack through these LAN sessions very easily now - its surprising how long it can take to ensure everyone has an equal space and leg room, and allow for the fact that we mostly all have open topped cases (Fan extraction) so our PCs need to be safly hidden away incase of spillage.

030614setup1.jpg

Pelet originally sets up his own and SgtPaulus's PC's the wrong way round, and quickly remedies this so that the kack handed SgtPaulus and him have their mouse mats near to each other so that in the heat of battle they can ‘accidentally’ hold hands. Bless.

Once all the PCs are in, we start to lay the cables all attached to our 12+ year old Switch which is still doing us still proud, year on year.

030614setup2.jpg

030614setup3.jpg

…while most people are having breakfast, we have already 'started'. Its thirsty work, so refreshments are called upon and with a few handy beers stashed in the fridge before hand this little beauty went down a treat.

lanbee030614r.jpg

Just some of the refreshments, a massive crate full of Fosters and Wife beater, some already taken out to pile in the fridge.

030614lanbeercrate.jpg

The old gaffer tape is applied to the network cables on the floor and as we are not allowed to drill holes in the table, we have to route them around the keyboards, and tape them down as well.

030614setup4.jpg

030614setup5.jpg

With all the prep work done and the five of six machines turned on test the network, we head off to Sainsburys to grab food and (more) drink - another trolley (the breakfast trolley!) full of bread, sausages and bacon is out of shot.

030614trolley.jpg

Shortly after that we are back home again and on the Battlefield - a quick few hours of gaming to acclimatise ourselves with our new environment as such. I leave around 4pm, leaving Pelet on catch up duty to get to 40th level, while a tired looking DeadEyeMike slinks onto the settee.

I manage to get some more shuteye to ensure I have the reserves to carry on through the weekend, and an early night for this soldier is called for, all tucked up just after 10pm.

Friday 22st May

I get there around 930am, DeadEyeMike goes to pick up Guildan and his PC at around 11 and MonkeyMadness comes just before midday. Sausage bacon and Egg sarnies for all as we get ready to play properly around midday.

SgtPaulus, at work, has already started to send abusive texts and amend our battlefield reports with filthy comments, keeps this up during the day as he is stuck at work, until he arrives around 4pm. McGlory and HippyHamster are online throughout the day, joing us around 7ish, and staying on throughout the whole night so there are 8 of us all together on the Battlefield.

We play mostly conquest, a little Squad Deathmatch and its rare that we are all on the same side during any of the games. A little break to order Pizza as we simply cannot be bothered to go and get Fish & Chips that we had originally planned, and we crack on. Guildan is flagging a little, and is off to bed around 2am, but the rest of us continue until 7am.

This is just the recycling from the first day...

030614LANdayonerubbish.jpg

Saturday 23rd May

We are up around midday after all of three hours sleep. We breakfast, shower, regail about the previous nights epic plays from each of us, compare stats, then start again, back on the battlefield. Some random time between 8 and 10 - time really does fly by the way when you are doing this as you have no concept (with all the curtains dawn) we think about dinner, but as no-one can be bothered to go and get dinner or even think about what we all actually want, frozen pizza it is.

An early one for us, after a near 24hours session the day before with little sleep afterwards, and so bed time is a respectable 3am.

Sunday 24th May

Up at Midday, muck about a bit, breakfast, shower, stats etc, then again, crack on. Dinner time comes and we order a Chinese takeaway, but its a case of too many cooks as someone says if Pelet is paying this, then we need to pay £6 each, but then Guildan gives the bloke a £4 tip out of SgtPaulus change meaning he has paid £15 for a £6 kitty.

.....the video is pretty much what we ended up doing (supplied by SgtPaulus), as people took money from here and there to get it right.....

The Fast Show - Billy Bleach -3- Loose Change

....a little more stats to calm us all down, then we cracked on until 7am again.

Monday 25th May

Most of us are up at 2:30pm, but others are in bed for another hour or more. We watch a load of battlefield plays (both superb and epic fails), then pack up, and we all leave around 5pm.

Battlefield 4 Top Plays Episode 24

Battlefield 4 Funny Moments Gameplay! #20...

Session Details

Overall, Battlelog shows that I have about +40hrs of gaming time played, and throughout it was double xp weekend (that we did not know about seeing as how this was arranged in Feb) and combined with a the two 200% I activated at key moments, I went up 20! levels from 47th to 67th.

Problems? No major ones like our last LAN, but Battlefield itself caused no end of troubles, but mostly all before the LAN. Yes I know I bang on about playing a game before hand, and its not only because I am too excited to wait, but to iron out any problems and ensure that you have the playtime to be sure of your choice of class etc. I went through countless driver issues, a few blue screens etc myself. Some of us wiped our machines, or reinstalled Battlefield or went through phases of testing not only GPU drivers but hardware ones too. I also had a blue screen at the LAN - I dont think anyone else did though.

Guildan did have some stuttering issues, but guess what, he had less than a dozen hours played despite our warnings, so perhaps he will listen next time. Other than that - Monkey had a random one where Battlelog thought he was still logged in to a game, even after rebooting his PC, and it turned out to be his McAfee Firewall but the next day was fine.

The only bad thing really was that we never found a consistant server. One that had some epic battles got shuffled so much that the other team would leave. A server that was good would suddenly lag. Cheaters would pop on and ruin a servers balance, then leave. We played a lot of Conquest, mostly during the day - a relative term to us seeing as how we never started until after midday, so basically the first 12-14hrs of a session, then the last few hours, when people could just concentrate on one thing, killing, we moved to Squad Deathmatch.

There are far too mnay memorable monents for me, but these are the ones that I can remember off hand:

- I kept saying 'murdered him, murdered them, murdered them all' in various combinations, just because I had read some of the Guardians of the Galaxy comics and the little raccoon creature said that a lot and I thought it was amusing. Quite apt when it appears I got 2000 kills over just this weekend.

- Me and SgtPaulus in the midst of a Conquest game of Operation Locker had a little one on one battle (no idea where everyone else on the server was) and we both shot at each other, before then ducking into cover. We then both pop out to chuck a grenade at each other......and can only watch as the grenades cross each others path before blowing us up.

- HippyHampster knife antics - he was everywhere, and somehow managed to avoid provoking a counter even when attacking me from the front in a stairwell as we ran into each other. I used colourful language lots and lots and lots, and only managed one knife attack on him - a counter at that, and he must have got me a dozen times.

- HippyHamster mixed things up in the Squad Deathmatches by using the wasp (SUAV) and bumble bee (MAV) much to everyone annoyance. He flew the wasp into people's faces all the time, and you alerted others to your presence by shooting at the things before they got you.

- The mine song. This started well before the LAN, and was born of a conversation between myself and Pelet as we kept calling out 'MINE!' everytime we got someone. We talked about a song, and Pelet came up with R Kelly's Bump and Grind, with became 'Bump and Mine'. Now, everytime a mine kill happens someone on Teamspeak is singing either "I see nothing wrong......." or "My Mines telling me no, but my body......" its more funny when you are there, believe me.

- Me screaming "No No NO NOO NOOO NOOOO" every-time someone stabbed me. I dont know why, but as the night wore on, my shouting became more frequent.

- During an epic Metro Conquest (one of the only times we played Metro I think) myself and DeadEyeMike were on opposites sides, and we went into Medic mode, competing for MVP, it was late, and we didnt care, just wanting pointage. DEM beat me I think, and we were both miles ahead of the rest of the team.

- The Engineer team. On a good run of very equal teams, we formed an engineer team with a Sniper, and while we ran round the map shouting "paint it, paint it!" we destroyed everything in the air, land and sea. Far too much effort to play like that all weekend, but it was good while it lasted.

- Fresh from being destroyed the night before - I knew how Ceasar felt, I can tell you, in the first few minutes of the first game, I stabbed someone, then it immediately popped up with a counter. It seems like one of their team wanted my tags rather than protect his team mate and tried to stab me while I was stabbing his mate. I killed the first, countered the second and screamed like a lunatic.

- Taking out my first RPG helicopter on a Little Bird. I had tried and failed this so many times, and during one of our rests, we watched some epic RPG plane and heli kills, so I wanted a bit of the action. SgtPaulus and MonkeyMadness already had some brilliant RPG helicopter takeouts, and I was feeeling left out. I did get one earlier in the sesssion, which was MonkeyMadness when he was on the other side, but he had dutifully landed his helicopter while caturing a base I had arrived at, so that did not really count. Anyway. A little bird was DESTROYING everyone on Flood Zone. Really smashing everyone. He had killed me a few times as well, and then I spawned, I guessed the trajectory, and blasted him out of the sky.

- McGlory mocking my Sniper skills, so I got my own back by headshotting him with my Gol Sniper Rifle twice within a few minutes.

- A dirty cheater than robbed me of a guarenteed MVP by 20 points on Squad Deathmatch, even though he joined 5 minutes before the round ended. I was 28/16 or so and he was 33/8 - something cheaty anyway. He racked up 4000 points and 30 kills within the space of 5 minutes.

Roll on the next one......

25. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    good read that theydon, we do a much smaller scale but similar thing regularly, sounds like youve had all the same sorts of issues we've had in the past, you're right testing in advance of play is tantamount, otherwise half the play time ends up on bug fixing and ruins it, we've also got a mac user in the midst which increases the potential cross OS issues ten fold :laugh:.

26. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    We normally head down to my mates in Cornwall, but his missus was due within days of the event, so it was in London instead. The last one we had, my mate changed his own CPU cooler, and popped a corner, and during the 300 mile trip, another corner popped, so when he plugged it in, the PC shut itself down. I went to have a look, noticed as soon as I turned it on that the CPU temp in the BIOS screen warning, and pulled the plug immediately. We had a base Intel CPU heatsink handily, so swapped it over, but no joy. We lost 20 hours of gaming trying different things (no idea if board or CPU had gone) and so all chipped in to buy a CPU board and RAM from a 'local' (60 mile round trip) Maplins and then I rebuilt his PC. We never want anything that bad again......

27. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    bloody hell i thought our network issues that took 4/5 hours were bad, i tend to take a laptop with me for these, im the only one that does, less graphical fidelity but it does minimise hassle immensely in comparison to the desktop and mac users amongst us.

28. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,568
    Good read Theydon, sounds like you had an awesome time :)

29. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    Network issues are nothing anymore - I have a strict policy telling them everything beforehand and if they cant work it out or not read what I have told them, then they waste their own time. Spent far too long working on a mates PC for him to say later, "..I installed this really great program that checks things for me and does this...." for it to be a hidden firewall based program with no icon in the taskbar.

Now even the least capable of them know that they need to be on the Workgroup XXXXXXX, and have a IP range 192.168.x.x etc, and that any firewall programs need to be stopped. Not that it matters so much any more firewall wise to be fair, as we are playing online rather than LAN based.

30. stument

stument
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Awsome! I want a LAN so bad.... :D