The PC General Chat Thread

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
@Grangey.
all you need is a:

and a
If it doesn't fit -make it fit !!!!
Don't pussy around just get it done !!!!!
🙄
Haha drill I have, dremel I don’t...

Here’s a pic of the existing holes, you can see, 5mm would probably just lengthen the existing holes if anything:

A521C148-79CF-4A17-9D1C-F0B3FF96A464.jpeg

I could just as easily front mount, but mounting here would give me epic air flow, which I know will help with my 3080.. when it arrives.

sykotik

Distinguished Member

Here’s a pic of the existing holes, you can see, 5mm would probably just lengthen the existing holes if anything:

View attachment 1375451

I could just as easily front mount, but mounting here would give me epic air flow, which I know will help with my 3080.. when it arrives.
Can't mount the rad there , there's no air flow ?
What case you got ?
also you could possibly try double sided mounting tape , but once it's on IT'S ON !!!
Amazon product

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Or if your to scared
Amazon product
Was genuinely considering this... could it really be strong enough given the “pressure” the pipes can have depending on their position?

edit scratch that, just tested the position with the motherboard in.. would give me serious ram clearance issues with the fans in.

Front mount it is!

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Was genuinely considering this... could it really be strong enough given the “pressure” the pipes can have depending on their position?
It can the best stuff in the world , or the worst !!!! have you trying removing anything stuck to it ? it 's 🤬

Iv had few case over time which iv took a drill or dremel too doesn't bother me ..:)
, and yes i get it - it's new and shiny and don't want to scratch it ,
but give it a few weeks and you be thinking , Yea i should just get the drill out hahah .

CARLOS

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1375451

Where's the ventilation holes ?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Try using a zip tie (or cable tie, whatever you call it) @Grangey.

FaxFan2002

I'm wondering how long I can keep my i7 6700k going, before likely upgrading to Ryzen. I am overclocked @4.5ghz but it's still only 4 cores / 8 threads. It still runs really well to be fair, but it's 4 gens old now, it's paired with a RTX 2070 Super and 16gb 3600 DDR4 RAM.
An easy way of telling is to find a game that fully utilizes the GPU basically running it 98%+ then if you enter an area of the game and the GPU utilization drops is probably bottlenecking on the CPU.

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
Wow. Things have moved on quite a bit since my last build. Was wanting to game on my LG B8, 4k at 60/120hz. Thinking I could just upgrade the gpu. But I'm running on the old intel socket i7-4770k and living on DDR3 ram. So a whole new rig needed. Might just get the PS5 then for that 4k experience and wait a few years till PC's take the next step.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Any body "dabble" in building and selling Pc's and or gaming PC's
do you make a few quid from it ?

Work isn't to go at the moment ( im a chef )
and where i live there really isn't any decent (if any at all - most have closed down) high street PC shops where you can walk in a buy a decent Pc ,
also i keep seeing people on facebook asking more about about "gaming PC "

just wounding if there is a "slice of the pie" to be had out there , too say build a few mid range PC ( 1080p -1440p ) rigs and sell them on ..

Sandman

Distinguished Member

and where i live there really isn't any decent (if any at all - most have closed down) high street PC shops where you can walk in a buy a decent Pc ,

just wounding if there is a "slice of the pie" to be had out there , too say build a few mid range PC ( 1080p -1440p ) rigs and sell them on ..
I think you would need to really undercut the online places (scan/overclockers/ccl) otherwise why would folk buy from you? If you undercut these guys but still have to pay retail price for the components you won’t make much (if any) money. Then you need to think about the windows licence. I don’t think you would get away with a £2 licence from eBay. What about a warranty? Would you provide support of any kind?
I thought about it briefly at the start of lockdown but didn’t think there would much profit in it in the end.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member

Its always something I've fancied doing but never really done anything about it, I think it would have to be used parts and PC's as @Sandman says buying new you wouldn't make enough to make it worthwhile.

I watch Tech Yes City on YouTube who does this in Australia and he seems very good at it.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Yes, as sandman said really. It's a very cut throat business and you have to consider returns and warranties. I can't see it being worth it.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
I think you would need to really undercut the online places (scan/overclockers/ccl) otherwise why would folk buy from you? If you undercut these guys but still have to pay retail price for the components you won’t make much (if any) money. Then you need to think about the windows licence. I don’t think you would get away with a £2 licence from eBay. What about a warranty? Would you provide support of any kind?
I thought about it briefly at the start of lockdown but didn’t think there would much profit in it in the end.
Yea your right , got all these that you have mentioned floating around in my head ..
just idea that someone put into my head a few days ago ...
even if it's just a PC to Friends or mate of someone that want's one ..
done a few in the past to Friends and family...

like i say just an idea for the moment ....:)

im still working , but things have quieting down a lot ( the pub used to be bouncing all day long)
and TBH i can see the industry on it knees before long ...

Johnmcl7

Distinguished Member
I do IT work as a main job and I've considered doing home work to supplement it to give me a fall back if needed but I can't see it being worth it economically since you can spend a lot of hours for not much money. The type of posts you've mentioned looking for PCs I find are usually low budget which I thought would be a challenge just for the parts and by the time you build the PC, install the software, check it's stable etc. that's going to take a reasonable amount of time which you can't charge much for when the budget is tight anyway.

I had considered getting some ex-business PCs which are usually sold on cheap at three years old because businesses dump them regardless of condition. Their hardware is usually solid and reliable plus there's plenty out there for spares and with a couple of upgrades could be solid and cheap gaming PCs. However that idea immediately fell flat because I found people didn't just want gaming PC performance but they wanted it to look good as well and the dull business design was undesirable.

There is also the problem of after sales support which for people I've helped out expect for free for the lifetime of the PC regardless of whether it's problems they've caused or software issues.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
There is also the problem of after sales support which for people I've helped out expect for free for the lifetime of the PC regardless of whether it's problems they've caused or software issues.
That's the worst thing especially with friends and family,, they just think they can call anytime when they have an issue and you don't even get a thanks most of the time, Built a PC for a friend years ago and ended up being his continuous IT support until something major finally went wrong and I told him to scrap it and buy a replacement from Scan.

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
What about building servers instead with those parts where looks don't matter.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
Well you lot know how to kill a man's dreams !!!

🤣🤣
If it's any consolation, margins in PC building went out of the window about 20 years ago - there was a real turning point in 1999/2000 with the number of self-builds (good books an internet guides). To make any sort of margin, you need buying power of components.

Unless you can buy parts in large quantities, you will not be able to create a profitable business without some sort of USP (long warranty, custom cases, on site support etc).

Now, ask yourself this: in the modern era, people who don't build are either doing so out of convenience (can't be bothered) or know no better. I'm not sure either category is the sort of demographic I would have the patience to support :)

Kwman

Yea your right , got all these that you have mentioned floating around in my head ..
just idea that someone put into my head a few days ago ...
even if it's just a PC to Friends or mate of someone that want's one ..
done a few in the past to Friends and family...

like i say just an idea for the moment ....:)

im still working , but things have quieting down a lot ( the pub used to be bouncing all day long)
and TBH i can see the industry on it knees before long ...
My neighbour is a Chef and he bought a trailer and put it in his front garden and sells food from it. Been doing alright. Had a few neigbours try to complain to the council, police, etc but he's still there so he must have done everything by the books. He only opens Thurs-Sun.

Maybe something you can look at.

Scootpb

Been having an absolute 'mare with my rig the past week. Two capacitors popped on my 2080 Super, and on Friday my EK Combo just stopped.

Been planning on swapping out to corsair kit once my 3080 arrived anyway, so I've had to bodge it with flexible tube for now. :(

20201025_161346.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett