The PC General Chat Thread

Scootpb

out of curiosity have you done any checks to see if thats given you any negative pressure through the case?
My case is primarily a watercooled system, with a 480mm rad running a push pull config, and case fans set up for negative pressure as I maintain a pretty tight flushing schedule, so the negative pressure dust accumulation you normally see is not a problem to me.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I did just read this, it kind of makes sense... Watercooling Myths Exposed - Overclockers

"In a closed loop, a given water molecule actually spends
the same amount of time in the radiator, no matter how fast it is
moving, as long as the water is indeed moving.

If this is a
difficult concept to understand, think about a race car on a track.
If the track is one mile (5280 ft) long and the car is driving at 60
mph, the car will spend about one second in a 100 ft stretch. Think
of the 100 ft stretch as the radiator.

If the speed is
doubled, the car only spends ½ a second in the 100 ft section, but
it passes through that same section twice a minute, so it spends a
total of one second in the 100 ft section per minute."
So what you want is a system that pumps the water fast through the pipes but then slows it down when it gets to the radiator :rotfl:

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Guys my case can accommodate a max 240mm rad wise, but 3x 120 or 2x140 fans.

Im on the pursuit of silence with performance, and originally had the Noctua nh12 cooler eyed up for this reason. But I’m starting to get my head turned by AIOs.

Any views on the Corsair H100 on a AMD 3700/4600 spec build? Mainly, how audible is the pump and fans potentially? Understand I could swap the fans with noctuas for audio benefits but no idea what to expect with the pump.

Secondly this is going in a fairly small (compared to
most anyway) case, is it with sacrificing the air flow generated from 2 or 3 front case fans, for the reduced air flow through a rad, when this will be the main air intake source for the case which includes a 3080?

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I did just read this, it kind of makes sense... Watercooling Myths Exposed - Overclockers

"In a closed loop, a given water molecule actually spends
the same amount of time in the radiator, no matter how fast it is
moving, as long as the water is indeed moving.

If this is a
difficult concept to understand, think about a race car on a track.
If the track is one mile (5280 ft) long and the car is driving at 60
mph, the car will spend about one second in a 100 ft stretch. Think
of the 100 ft stretch as the radiator.

If the speed is
doubled, the car only spends ½ a second in the 100 ft section, but
it passes through that same section twice a minute, so it spends a
total of one second in the 100 ft section per minute."
My module in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in my mechanical engineering degree completely disagrees. I actually had a question calculating heat exchange across a 2 fluid (remember air is a fluid) heat exchanger with various flow rates in my final year exam.
Considering that fluid flow calculations are still made on certain assumptions, comparing fluid flowing through a multi directional piece of equipment to a car on a straight race track is a no go.
The article doesn't back its so called myth busting with any facts. If you are really interested go and have a look at Eulers and Bermoulli equations.

ostewart

My module in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in my mechanical engineering degree completely disagrees. I actually had a question calculating heat exchange across a 2 fluid (remember air is a fluid) heat exchanger with various flow rates in my final year exam.
Considering that fluid flow calculations are still made on certain assumptions, comparing fluid flowing through a multi directional piece of equipment to a car on a straight race track is a no go.
The article doesn't back its so called myth busting with any facts. If you are really interested go and have a look at Eulers and Bermoulli equations.
Now this is the kind of reply I appreciate, always willing to learn new things. Thank you

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
*Digs out dusty Thermo dynamics texbook*

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Guys it’s been a while since I’ve done this. This is how my case arrived, with a spare 2 risers not yet installed.

I’ve gone for a full ATX board so should I just move all risers to the perimeter or is there a better way of ensuring there’s equal support throughout?

90F2601F-C194-47FE-9C68-0B4C1C9A01D4.jpeg

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Guys it’s been a while since I’ve done this. This is how my case arrived, with a spare 2 risers not yet installed.

I’ve gone for a full ATX board so should I just move all risers to the perimeter or is there a better way of ensuring there’s equal support throughout?

View attachment 1375159
Yes just move them to the perimeter but keep one in the middle ( roughly where the gpu will be -this will help support the board when installing the GPU)
or fill all holes ( you should have some more in a carboard that came with the case )

CARLOS

Distinguished Member

View attachment 1375159
You need to fit all the supports your motherboard requires which is normally 9 for ATX otherwise it won’t be supported fully and could end up damaging the board when installing everything.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
You need to fit all the supports your motherboard requires which is normally 9 for ATX otherwise it won’t be supported fully and could end up damaging the board when installing everything.
As above.
If you have more risers and can get the screws in then it will do it no harm, especially if mounting motherboard vertical and GPU horizontal without a GPU braket or the like

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
As mentioned guys, there’s 6 pre installed in the case, and 2 spare, so 8 total.. not sure what else I can do. How concerned should I be??
So if you are one short then miss out the one at the bottom middle and just be careful when plugging and unplugging cable around that area.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
As mentioned guys, there’s 6 pre installed in the case, and 2 spare, so 8 total.. not sure what else I can do. How concerned should I be??
I would use all but the bottom left (spreading them out to mate the board)
EDIT: Scrap that, what cooler are you using

realfrankturner

Distinguished Member
With the console CPU'S having 8 cores, how long do you think before they fully utilize it and will become standard for PC games too?

And if you're gaming at 60fps or under at 4k, does CPU make a big difference?

With the console CPU'S having 8 cores, how long do you think before they fully utilize it and will become standard for PC games too?
this is the same number of cores in the previous consoles so nothing has changed since 2013. I would suspect it wont have any effect at all based on core numbers. As the average core count in PC's increase over time it may affect it but some games types just dont favor multicore 4,8,16 makes little difference due to there nature , FPS in particular favor fast single cores.

ostewart

And if you're gaming at 60fps or under at 4k, does CPU make a big difference?
I'm wondering how long I can keep my i7 6700k going, before likely upgrading to Ryzen. I am overclocked @4.5ghz but it's still only 4 cores / 8 threads. It still runs really well to be fair, but it's 4 gens old now, it's paired with a RTX 2070 Super and 16gb 3600 DDR4 RAM.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Argh I thought I’d struck luck by being able to fit an aio where it was not advertised. Damn design flaw means I can’t, holes just need to be less than 1cm higher :facepalm: :facepalm:

88E85B3A-B6CE-48C5-B0C5-A041128513B6.jpeg

Anyone know how I could mount a rad without screws?!🧐🤣

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Not sure what that picture is showing but how about hot glue ?:D
it’s the view looking through where the motherboard input are found (mind blank what they’re called).
You can see the bottom off the rad, fouls into where these inputs and appropriate heat shields etc are found. If it was moved up just 1cm, motherboard would fit!

if it helps as most of you have your cases horizontal, the left side is the top, and the pic is taken from behind, I just have it oriented in desktop.

edit; just measured, it’s circa 5mm too far down. Argh!

Last edited:

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
it’s the view looking through where the motherboard input are found (mind blank what they’re called).
You can see the bottom off the rad, fouls into where these inputs and appropriate heat shields etc are found. If it was moved up just 1cm, motherboard would fit!

if it helps as most of you have your cases horizontal, the left side is the top, and the pic is taken from behind, I just have it oriented in desktop.
Yeah I know what I’m looking at but couldn’t see the radiator, can’t you drill some new holes ? You only need 4 outer holes to hold the radiator ?

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Yeah I know what I’m looking at but couldn’t see the radiator, can’t you drill some new holes ? You only need 4 outer holes to hold the radiator ?
You can see the edge of it through the hole, big black thing.

re drilling, Im contemplating it, but with it only being 5-6mm out I doubt there’s enough distance between the exhausting holes to make a new ones, not to mention the exhausting holes are “dented in” so the screws mount flat when screwed in- don’t know how I’d achieve that.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SN11RG Dolby Atmos Soundbar, plus, XBOOM Go PN7 & PL7 Wireless Speaker Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen adds 48-inch OLED to Beovision TV range
  • By Andy Bassett