Quantcast

The PC General Chat Thread

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I was going to say that anyone who clicks on these sort of email links perhaps deserves to be infected ;) :)

ArmitageShanks

Do people really still click links in emails telling them to log in, update, send details etc etc. :confused:
I think the less tech-savvy part of the population would unfortunately. These emails go out in the millions, and if only 1% respond, that's still a huge number.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member

Schumi 01

A bit of advice please, my partners father wants to watch bt sport on his tv, problem is , his tv is rather old, so thinking of buying him a chrome cast, but need some ideas on a cheap tablet that will stream to the chromecast without any issues.

Thanks all.

drinkturps

A bit of advice please, my partners father wants to watch bt sport on his tv, problem is , his tv is rather old, so thinking of buying him a chrome cast, but need some ideas on a cheap tablet that will stream to the chromecast without any issues.

Thanks all.
There's a lot of black Friday deals on Amazon at the moment so you may get lucky there. They've got this Huawei MediaPad 7" tablet for £60

AO have also got some deals going on there's 7" Lenovo for £40

If all the tablet is going to be used for is streaming then it's good to go but if he wants to do other stuff with it then you may want to go for something with a bit more grunt.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Black friday tv deals ,

a mate wants a new tv for his GF , and has ask me to have a quick look at some ,
these two are within budget , and have all the "needs" ( netflix , amazon prime , now tv , )

one thing that caught my eye is their only 50hz ,
i don't think i have seen a tv with just 50 hz before ,
shouldn't be a problem for his GF , but if he ever decides to take his PS4 over to play , i can see this been a problem

is this a new thing ? 50hz tv's ?

Schumi 01

There's a lot of black Friday deals on Amazon at the moment so you may get lucky there. They've got this Huawei MediaPad 7" tablet for £60

AO have also got some deals going on there's 7" Lenovo for £40

If all the tablet is going to be used for is streaming then it's good to go but if he wants to do other stuff with it then you may want to go for something with a bit more grunt.
Thanks drinkturps, he is just interested in Bt sports, as long as he can stream to the chromecast i am sure he will be happy, will check those tablets out.

Thanks

Beezy

So after looking and debating for a few months I've just picked up this Acer Helios 300 as it had a few quid knocked off, I've always been a console gamer so this will be new for me.

I've done some browsing regarding monitors but there's a lot of info about and it's a bit confusing, with the specs for the laptop should I be looking at 1080p and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

drinkturps

Thanks drinkturps, he is just interested in Bt sports, as long as he can stream to the chromecast i am sure he will be happy, will check those tablets out.

Thanks
Even if he's got an android phone, that is perfectly capable of doing streaming too. I use both Mrs Turps tablet, PC and our phones. Anything can do it once the browser extension is on.

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Anyone played Ori and the Blind Forest? The prologue ... jeez 😭

Beezy

Have been looking abit more at monitors and think I've decided on this AOC 24G2U. I think it's only recently been released so there isn't many reviews around for it, but what I've read seems positive

joner7777

Help please!
Have a newish game PC which can run all i need.

Problem is even though i save the controller / Wheel allocation settings after setting ,when switching on the next day most settings have gone and i have to redo again.

Using Fanatec v 2.5 club sport with 3 pedals and Fanatec shifter.

Race room ,
Forza 3 pc,
R factor 2,
These are the culprits.

Dirt rally 2 seems ok.
I have reinstalled drivers on Fanatec.

TheBlueBrazil

I tried to buy xplane 11 using my wallet balance as a gift for my son as it was on sale for Christmas and I get this error:

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please contact Steam Support.

I am trying to schedule delivery as well for December 25th.

I then get an email saying I have 72 hnours to repurchase (still getting the discounted price) but every attempt to buy still comes up with this error.

I have logged a ticket with Steam support but no idea how long that will take to process.

Account is in good standing with a wallet balance of £50 and my son is in my friend list (I select him when choosing who to gift it to).

Am I doing something obviously wrong here?

Delvey

Thanks all.
How does he get BT sport? If he gets it through EE then I'm sure he cannot chromecast it. I tried a few years back. It is the same with the sky sports apps, they will not allow you to stream live channels to chromecast etc

drinkturps

How does he get BT sport? If he gets it through EE then I'm sure he cannot chromecast it. I tried a few years back. It is the same with the sky sports apps, they will not allow you to stream live channels to chromecast etc
Can't vouch for EE as I get BT sport from BT Broadband (not for much longer though) and I can sign in via chrome and stream to my chromecast no problem.

Schumi 01

To be honest i really do not know. i think they are with Talk Talk at the moment, but again unsure, as it as all gone quiet

Our Year

Distinguished Member

moonbeam120

Correct but he can mirror cast it from his phone to a compatible TV. Which is what I do on my LG OLED TV (using smart view) as I have BT sports as a swappable benefit on my EE account. Don't get me wrong it's not the best viewing experience, especially on a large screen TV (55") but certainly watchable.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Does anyone have a site they go to for best/optimap gaming graphical settings ?

richardb70

Distinguished Member
Does anyone have a site they go to for best/optimap gaming graphical settings ?
Step 1: Whack it up to Ultra.
Step 2: Give it a whirl while keeping an eye on CPU and GPU utlisation (Rivatuner, HWInfo)
Step 3: If it's not great then google

:)

drinkturps

Bought a mini PC on a whim today only because I could not stream Midsomer Murders as Britbox does not support chromecast. The most bizarre impulse purchase I think I've ever done. We wanted to try the 30 day trial as me and Mrs Turps are down with the Midsomer! Could not believe it was not supported.

Refusing to be defeated I picked up this little thing that will only be used to stream stuff and plug straight into the telly. Went for the 4GB RAM version as had a £10 voucher. Getting delivered tomorrow. Got a wireless keyboard and mouse already and I thought why not treat myself. I'm hoping it can also run MAME so we can play some Junior PacMan and Gyruss. With my DVD player pretty much redundant and the box sets and DVDs of the series expensive I figured its worth a punt. :smashin:

Looking forward to see how it performs.

Schumi 01

@drinkturps

Be intreseted in hearing your thoughts on that mini pc you bought, was looking at that the other day if truth be told, i would be using it just to stream some stuff, and a little bit of browsing.

Thanks

drinkturps

@drinkturps

Be intreseted in hearing your thoughts on that mini pc you bought, was looking at that the other day if truth be told, i would be using it just to stream some stuff, and a little bit of browsing.

Thanks
No problem, I'll have an experiment and report back. I'm hoping it comes early doors tomorrow. The reviews seemed positive and some of the reviewers wrote a lot of stuff about it. The 2GB RAM and 32GB disk space version will not be enough at all as that's the minimum requirement for W10 and we all know what MS and specs are like! Most of the complaints were about the cheaper version running out of space.

I think with 64GB storage, 4GB RAM and that CPU it should do what I want it to do. As long as I can stream stuff without staggering at 1080p I'm happy. People have been running Office 365 on it and browsing without any issues. If my phone can do it, I'm sure this thing can do it. I'll keep you posted. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
Anyone played MechWarrior 5 ?

It's on the Epic Store for £39.99 but they have a £10 discount voucher thingy, I watched a few gameplay videos and it looks really good.

drinkturps

@drinkturps

Thanks
Works a treat! Easy to set up and get going. I can't believe how small it is and it is totally silent. It's steaming britbox flawlessly over 5Ghz wifi to the telly and looks great. It's not as snappy as a regular machine (bit obvious but worth mentioning) but for the price, size and convenience it's perfect for my needs. Browsing is a little slow with displaying images but I'm only using Edge at present and not updated all the drivers or patched to the latest W10 release. The GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 400 so don't expect any gaming. Overall I'm a very happy chappy. Bring it on Midsomer!

Schumi 01

Works a treat! Easy to set up and get going. I can't believe how small it is and it is totally silent. It's steaming britbox flawlessly over 5Ghz wifi to the telly and looks great. It's not as snappy as a regular machine (bit obvious but worth mentioning) but for the price, size and convenience it's perfect for my needs. Browsing is a little slow with displaying images but I'm only using Edge at present and not updated all the drivers or patched to the latest W10 release. The GPU is an Intel HD Graphics 400 so don't expect any gaming. Overall I'm a very happy chappy. Bring it on Midsomer!
Thanks @drinkturps , much appreciated, sounds like it is a nice liitle poiece of equipment for the price, just want somehting for some slight browsing, and stremaing that is all, and this sounds like it could be well worth a purchase.

Thanks again.

drinkturps

Thanks @drinkturps , much appreciated, sounds like it is a nice liitle poiece of equipment for the price, just want somehting for some slight browsing, and stremaing that is all, and this sounds like it could be well worth a purchase.

Thanks again.
I don't think you'll go too far wrong with what you want to use it for. I'm now running Windows 10 1909, updated graphics drivers and it's behaving better. I had to use the MS upgrade assistant to get to the current Win10 release as using windows update it got stuck at 99% download. However, with everything updated and a disk clean up I've got 40GB free. That's plenty of room to stick Office 365 on and there's also the SD card expansion slot if you need it. For what it is I'm really impressed by it.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
talking on phone whilst driving.....
I learned something new today.

it really p....s me off when i see people driving whilst on their phones.... hands free kits are so cheap now and most cars newer than 5 years old have blue tooth built in (my mid spec 2011 308 and my 2013 nissan QQ has them) so I never understood why anyone needs to talk on their phone whilst driving and holding a phone.

BUT.
did you know that driving whilst using hands free is still exactly the same offence as driving holding your phone? I must admit I didnt, and actually it is pretty disingenuous imo cars having those features without making it quite clear you should still pull over if you want to use them.

A colleague of mine went on a driving awareness course and he said it was an eye opener for everyone on the course!.