The PC General Chat Thread

News - Steam Inventory Service Now Available to Steamworks Developers

With today's Steamworks SDK update, we've released The Steam Inventory Service beta, a new feature available to developers with games or software on Steam. The Steam Inventory Service is a set of new Steamworks APIs and tools that allow a game to enable persistent items that have been purchase or unlocked by individual users without having to run special servers to keep track of these user's inventory.

Announcement_inventoryService.jpg

With this service, a game can easily drop items to customers based on playtime or can grant items based on specific situations or actions within the game. These items can be marked as tradable through Steam or sellable via the Steam Marketplace. Developers can also configure recipes for crafting different combinations of items that result in more rare, unique, or valuable items.

This new service adds to the list of APIs available for free to Steamworks developers, including achievements, cloud saves, authentication services, error reporting, leaderboards, matchmaking, Steam Workshop, peer-to-peer networking, in-game overlay, downloadable content, and much more.

So I've been reading recently that Intel plans to release Broadwell processors in the second quarter of this year, with Skylake-S processors to follow in the third quarter? Anyone else sceptical about that?

Hi all.. not sure if this old news so sorry if it is.

I have just had an email from Raptr\AMD saying they have been hacked and to change my password.

Just in case someone uses this and didn't know :)

Damn windows 8/OCD. I have iTunes pinned to taskbar. When i open it, it makes another icon to show it's running. Previously it would sort of integrate the two.
For example, in first image, Gyazo - e747db0662ae643050533f2ebe0609a4.png Chrome is pinned and open, just one icon. Same with Steam and Origin. Both pinned and open, 1 icon. Yet iTunes, Pinned is an icon, and then open is a seperate icon.

2nd image, everything closed except FM14 and sticky Notes, but just showing what is pinned.
Gyazo - b4269e339ab25e62b989ed0b71cdd4b0.png

How can I get them to integrate to just one icon? It was fine until last week when i updated iTunes :(

Damn windows 8/OCD. I have iTunes pinned to taskbar. When i open it, it makes another icon to show it's running. Previously it would sort of integrate the two.
For example, in first image, Gyazo - e747db0662ae643050533f2ebe0609a4.png Chrome is pinned and open, just one icon. Same with Steam and Origin. Both pinned and open, 1 icon. Yet iTunes, Pinned is an icon, and then open is a seperate icon.

2nd image, everything closed except FM14 and sticky Notes, but just showing what is pinned.
Gyazo - b4269e339ab25e62b989ed0b71cdd4b0.png

How can I get them to integrate to just one icon? It was fine until last week when i updated iTunes :(
Easly solved. Uninstall iTunes.

Silly question but have you tried unpinning the icon then repinning it after the new version of of iTunes is running? Maybe win 8 things they're different applications now!

Silly question but have you tried unpinning the icon then repinning it after the new version of of iTunes is running? Maybe win 8 things they're different applications now!

I'd tried unpinning then pinning the program thats on Start menu which wasn't working, but your suggestion has :) Mercy bucket :smashin:

Cool. Maybe the start menu item still points to the 'old' version of iTunes somehow too. Anyhow glad it worked.

Hello all, hoping someone can help as I'm at my wits end this weekend.

I bought a new 120GB SSD, and copied all the data I needed off my old 60GB SSD. I then disconnected the 60GB, connected the new drive, and installed Windows 7 on it. All seemed to be going fine, until I got back in and Windows couldn't find the drivers for my network adapters...so no internet connection for me.

I tore the house apart trying to find the driver disks but had no luck, so today I went to my brother in law and downloaded the drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's site. Got them home and still they don't work - Windows initially recognises them but then sends back an error message mid-way through the installation.

Any thoughts? In Device Manager there are several items with a yellow exclamation marks against them but none will update against the drivers I downloaded.

Hopefully I am missing something stupid here. I also reset my motherboard by running an updated rom file and then doing a fresh install of Windows on it, but no luck. Thanks in advance lads.

Hello all, hoping someone can help as I'm at my wits end this weekend.

I bought a new 120GB SSD, and copied all the data I needed off my old 60GB SSD. I then disconnected the 60GB, connected the new drive, and installed Windows 7 on it. All seemed to be going fine, until I got back in and Windows couldn't find the drivers for my network adapters...so no internet connection for me.

I tore the house apart trying to find the driver disks but had no luck, so today I went to my brother in law and downloaded the drivers from my motherboard manufacturer's site. Got them home and still they don't work - Windows initially recognises them but then sends back an error message mid-way through the installation.

Any thoughts? In Device Manager there are several items with a yellow exclamation marks against them but none will update against the drivers I downloaded.

Hopefully I am missing something stupid here. I also reset my motherboard by running an updated rom file and then doing a fresh install of Windows on it, but no luck. Thanks in advance lads.
What's the error message you get? Silly question but you've made sure you've got the right versions etc?

Sorry kav, this is only down to you having a free weekend, no other reason than you announced it before the event and fate heard you. The gods never look down well on that sort of thing.

Wish I could offer some proper advice!

What's the error message you get? Silly question but you've made sure you've got the right versions etc?
Fixed it mate, don't know why but when I transferred the driver files from USB they failed, but transferring them from my tablet directly worked...bizarre. Anyway, once I got the ethernet drivers sorted, I was able to download the rest...phew.

Sorry kav, this is only down to you having a free weekend, no other reason than you announced it before the event and fate heard you. The gods never look down well on that sort of thing.

Wish I could offer some proper advice!

Yep, my own fault for gloating! Should have just said nothing. :)

Fixed it mate, don't know why but when I transferred the driver files from USB they failed, but transferring them from my tablet directly worked...bizarre. Anyway, once I got the ethernet drivers sorted, I was able to download the rest...phew.

Yep, my own fault for gloating! Should have just said nothing. :)
Glad it was easy enough to sort. Maybe a case of removing the USB drive before it had finished writing?

Eurogamer has dropped review scores • Eurogamer.net

Good decision by Eurogamer in my book.

Metacritic is a blight on the industry. The only use it provides me is comparing the critics score to the users score. High critic score - Low User score, overated game, probably involving a big publisher lining greasy pockets. Low critic score - High user score, probably an awesome game for the genre. Same scores, then the game is probably fairly reviewed.

In this day and age, reviews are basically worthless anyway. Why take someone elses opinion on a game, if you can watch a stream of it on twitch, or some gameplay on Youtube. With people like TB also giving technical reports of a game, I can't see why you would let a stranger decide if you will like the game.

Most "reviews" are paid for anyway :)

Twitch is a massive gamechanger for me, I go there pretty often when a game is released to watch the streams. The best way to get a good idea of the game. Youtube next, with Totalbiscuit and Let's Play's from various people.

Eurogamer is the only text based games site I read regularly, and then it is mostly for news rather than reviews.

In this day and age, reviews are basically worthless anyway. Why take someone elses opinion on a game, if you can watch a stream of it on twitch, or some gameplay on Youtube. With people like TB also giving technical reports of a game, I can't see why you would let a stranger decide if you will like the game.

Most "reviews" are paid for anyway :)

Most of my recent game purchases have been driven by let's play type Youtubers - especially on less known/indie titles.
Had a bundle of fun on stuff like Binding of Isaac and Little Inferno - I wouldn't have known about these without a few subscriptions to Youtubers like TB, JSE etc...

And the opposite, some of TB's "Port Report" series have completely put me off titles I was considering purchasing.

Avf members is your best bet.

Trust more of their opinions over the industries.

I prefer writing over videos, I can read something in stages without every having to give it my full attention. for a video i need to stick my headphones on...

I buy games due to hype i read here or eurogamer/rockpapershotgun

New Tapatalk update seems decent. Can switch back from the pink themed AVF one now.
Just updated now. I went back to the old version as the update was awful. First impressions are a lot more positive.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom