The Passion of the Christ.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyoung

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondered what everyone expects from this film, i havent seen any reviews anywhere yet.

As a fan of Gibson, i'm looking forward to it and hope it will be good. Although the subtitles might take something away from it (call me stupid, but i always end up reading instead of watching the film!) downloaded the trailer and to me it looks promising!

whats your thoughts? anyone got any links to a decent review?

cheers rob

Undoubtably going to be an interesting cinematic experience but I suspect that you'll find that it has little in common with anything else Gibson has ever done. Meant to be pretty graphic according to every review and comment I've seen thus far. The only other thing that does come out consistently is the performance of the chap who plays Christ is excellent.

I may wait to rent in this case.

I won't be seeing this, as I don't see any difference between this and any of those homemade propaganda films made by US televangelists. (with the obvious exception of the budget)

But I am looking forward to somebody telling me they've seen it so I can say, "Don't ruin the ending for me!" :D

Originally posted by Azrikam
But I am looking forward to somebody telling me they've seen it so I can say, "Don't ruin the ending for me!" :D

:rotfl:

Originally posted by Azrikam
I won't be seeing this, as I don't see any difference between this and any of those homemade propaganda films made by US televangelists. (with the obvious exception of the budget)

I think that's an unfair comparison to make (I for one will never support the pap that US TV evangelists churn out). But you don't need to be a Christian to appreciate the drama of the last day of Christ's life & this is a warts and all retelling of those events - there were no miracles on Good Friday & the film does not go into the events of Easter Sunday, so the only "religious" things this deals with were peoples reactions to Christ - some believed others did not, all were affected in some way.

It's a bold project and one that Mr Gibson feels deeply about, but it cannot be compared to the sort of trite stuff that you feel it will be like. Say you won't go because it doesn't appeal and that's fine by me, just don't denegrate it as a piece of film making without knowledge of the facts.

Do you think that in 2000 years time Ghandi will be looked upon as Christ?

Well, I keep hearing all the controversy surrounding the pic, and people saying how violent it is. But I haven't heard a word about it being compelling filmmaking or even being entertaining. Sounds like just a lot of hype. It's a great story, but that doesn't mean it's going to be a great movie.

I was a bit rash in saying that I won't be seeing it. But unless a critic or a friend who's seen it gives me a good reason to go, I won't bother with it. The same goes for any number of other mediocre films out at the moment.

Slightly off-topic, but isn't it slightly unnerving that US church groups are rallying behind this film (even to the point of putting up Passion posters in church) when it's supposed to be so violent? I thought they were against violent cinema?

It got a 18 certificate according to the BBFC website.

Historians are already picking holes in it. Apparently, they should all be speaking Greek, and not have long hair.

Oh and one critic accused the Romans as being depicted as too gay (even by Roman standards).

But it's the unrelenting cruelty that seems to have got the certificate that it has.

It should be interesting as Braveheart was not exactly shy at depicting nasty battle detail!

At least christianity allow the depiction of christ. Muslims are not allowed to depict Mohammed on film. See "The Message" and you'll see what I mean. Rather amusing for a film which was about his life.

I for one will go to see it, unless i read a lot of bad reviews. I will be going in to the cinema as a film fan, rather than a christian (or otherwise) and will just regard it as an adaption of literature nothing more... just like LOTR i suppose!!

Yes, i've heard its pretty brutal & gruesome. As is Braveheart, although that only got a 15 certificate!! As long as the violence is for a reason, ie part of the story etc then i dont see a problem with it. Im sure it was pretty brutal back then, you can hardly shy away from large nails being stuck in the hands can you!!

It will be intriguing to see what sort of reaction/box office take it will get. I for one have no idea what to expect, but look forward in anticipation

cheers rob

...As none of it is based on fact or real events then I'd treat just like a Sci-fi flick.

Like Braveheart then alle? ;)

I'll see it. I'm by no means a christian, but the story's always fascinated me. Jim Caviezal's gonna have to pull out a huge performance to get one up on all the christ's before him though - Robert Powell and Willem Dafoe being 2 particular favourites of mine

it's only a movie at the end of the day, can't quite understand all the controversy myself:confused:

Originally posted by Rambo John J
Jim Caviezal's gonna have to pull out a huge performance to get one up on all the christ's before him though - Robert Powell and Willem Dafoe being 2 particular favourites of mine

Not forgetting of course Jesus as Jesus in South Park, very stirring set of performances that :clown:

Originally posted by Games Guru

There is a 'mythical' quality about the Gandhi story so it wouldn't surprise me! :D Course it could quite easily be David Koresh too or david Icke even :D

Do you think he'll return from pluto in time? It's quite a journey for even a regal mutant lizard or dolphin!

Originally posted by Games Guru

Nope - he'll be looked upon as Ghandi.

Coop, I think you're missing the atheistic subtext :D

HI,

How's this for irony? The BBFC classify it uncut 18, for prolonged scenes of extreme violence, and the Irish Film Board have given the film a PG!!!!! And they've left it uncut as well!

What the hell is that about?! I thought Irish film censors were notorious for being extremely sensitive and censorial?!

Am looking forward to the film, purely to compare it against Scorsese's "The Last Temptation Of Christ". I think more people will enjoy the film, if they try to ignore whether it is based on fact or not. Just go see it, watch it, and pick holes (if need be) in it, afterwards.

Pooch

...As none of it is based on fact or real events

Okay I'm not a christian but I am able to see that Christ did exist and much of what is written is true and can be confirmed as so. I'm not saying the whole bible is true or that he was the real son of the god but many of the events, in paticular his death are thought to be true.

Do some reading!

Hows that ironic? :confused:

Maybe because Eire is a catholic country? That might have something to do with it, I don't know.

My brother-in-law and his wife saw it over the weekend and they said it was fantastic, but then again they are both fervent church goers. They live in Oz by the way, so it wasn't a pirate! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom