1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Passion Of The Christ R1 dts Review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Sigismund, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    [​IMG]

Liam McLaughlin takes a look at what history may describe as a modern epic, namely Mel Gibson's cinemtaic masterpiece The Passion Of The Christ

Read Liam's review here

2. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i have to say that i thought that the review was flawed, as a film i thought it was lacking - what was christ doing in garden at the beginning? why was he hated so much?

If i was a believer, which i'm not and i'd read my bible then maybe i'd know, but that why i think the film is flawed, it requires the the viewer to know the bible and therefore to understand what the hell is going on. How many people would have understood Return of The King without seeing the previous two films or reading the previous two books? i thought it was overly brutal, as the last hour is just violence towards Jesus. I also have doubts that the film would have even got a cert if it was about anyone else as it is so very brutal.

I also think that Gibson has really mis judged his audience. as most of you know i work for Blockies part time, and last Friday night we had loads of people express interest in seeing the film but refused once they realised it was subtitled. Personaly i think the subtitles were very good and most of the film isn't subtitled anyway (you dont need subtitles to explain that a man has had most of his torso ripped away)

I agree that it looks nice and the sound is ok - but i would describe it as demo quality.

I think that ones view of this film depends greatly on if the viewer is a believer (although i dare say someone will tell me otherwise :rolleyes: ) As my wife will tell you i'll cry at all sorts of films (something to do with seeing Bambi's mum shot when i was about 4 years old), i wont mention my most embrassing one but with all the brutality going on i felt nothing, i felt no compassion towards Christ.

However, there is one thing i can say. there is an arguement that says that watching violent films makes the viewer violent. well i can say that watching a religious film hasnt made me run into my nearest church and find God.

Just an opinion and i dare say a number of members wont like what i've written, but judged purely as a film i think its poor.

Gary

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    well... he's managed to make a film that's grossed in excess of $600 million worldwide (so far) on theatrical screenings alone and ranks in the top 10 highest grossing films of all time (according to my source, the ever reliable Total Film magazine that placed it at number 8 :zonked: )... if I was a director, that's the kind of misjudging of my audience I'd be dreaming of. Yes, it's been fuelled in some part by the controversy surrounding it, but it's still a massive cash pot that won't be hurt by a few numbskulls that refuse to read subtitles.
    Besides, they can switch them off and watch without subs, the way Gibson always intended them to.

4. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then there's the anti-semetic side of things. If I was Jewish, I'd wanna hang Gibson up by his nads...

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    Do I have to be Jewish to want to do that??

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the 8th biggest grossing film of all time in America but only 24th worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Just going to check out the review and interested if its the Canadian fullbitrate DTS track or the american halfbitrate DTS track and i would love a comparison between the 2 to see if people can notice sound differences between full and halfbitrate as full gives a better frequency response and should sound better in theory anyways.

7. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    lol
    :clap: :rotfl:
    sorry, just had to post :D

8. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Interesting... as Mel Gibson's movie concerns a man who also engendered intense emotions. :)

9. peterc

peterc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i quite liked the movie, but then i was brought up as a god boy in an r.c. school, not that i practise much now..

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You also say in your review that no extra's are necessary. I've seen enough interviews with Gibson crowing about this film...I'm supprised there are no extra's.
    I to went to a church school (believe it or not...), but a CofE one. I do still practice (and I'm still not very good... :clown: ). I just don't think the world needed another Jesus film. Those of us that have read the bible knew what he was doing in the garden and that the last supper had happened immediatly before that...I watched, like millions of other christians watched the movie out of curiosity and as a christian thought it was probably about how it happened (but it's since been proved that Christ wouldn't have spoken Aramaic...he would have spoken Greek). It's also unfair how Roman soldiers are portrayed in the movie as drunkards with no respect for authority. Well I'm sorry, but an army that conquered 2/3 of the world dosen't come accross to me as drunken idiots.
    This is a case of the world according to Gibson IMHO...and don't even get me started about his father...but if you carry out a search on this forums, you'll find some pretty indefendable facts about Gibson, his beliefs and his fathers beliefs that involve Adolf Hitler being the re0incarnation of Christ, and killing all the Jews for what they did to him on his first visit... :confused:

11. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    passion of the christ

anti-semetic, no i don't think so, portrayed the jews in a bad light, but then they did turn on christ.

so i think that all these moaning jews have probably got a guilt complex about what happened to christ and thought that eventually they could forget about it.

so why don't they just live with it, instead of blaming everyone else for being rasist towards them

12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what are you trying to tell us ArmyBloke ? you don't like Gibson so therefore don't like his film or any of his films ?

I haven't seen the film and to be honest i really am not interested in it as i am non religious but might give it a watch someday, does it matter if he got the language wrong ?

From what i gather the religious faiths and believer types seem to love this movie and flocked to it and it seemed to be widely praised by them and not condemned as someone in an earlier post claimed.

13. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a humble parish priest I have to admit that I haven't seen the film, and I have no desire to do so.
    Perhaps that makes me the wrong person to have an opinion of the film but I do have one and I will share it with you now.
    As far as I am concerned dwelling on the passion of Christ with all it's violence toward Jesus is ok as far as it goes but it all makes little sense without the resurrection at the end.
    As it stands the film gives only part of the story, an important one yes but only a part.

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I quite enjoyed the Mad Max films...Payback & Ransom were also pretty good. But I don't think that he should make a movie and stand in a pulpit and claim "This is how it was..." when clearly it wasn't...

You've contradicted youreself there - how can it be NOT anti semetic but portray the Jews in a bad light... :confused: I thought one meant the other...and I think the rest of your comment is both racist and totally out of order!! But I'm not gonna get sucked into that...but you are way out of line...

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So all jews must be portrayed in a good light ? isnt that kinda politically correct ?

16. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Since when has historical accuracy ever mattered in a movie?
    Hollywood has been blatantly lying about historical 'facts' for years.

Besides, Passion Of The Christ is a film about a fictional character and 2,000 year old folk tale so historical accuracy doesn't enter into it, it's just another fictional movie.

17. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Whether or not you believe that Jesus was the son of God (as christians do) or a prophet (as muslims do) or just a trouble stirring criminal there is little doubt that he did actually exist.

18. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Without wanting to take the thread off topic or get into a debate on Religion and the existence or not of the Messiah/Prophet/Son of God/Jesus/Mohammed, etc, feel free to provide any shred of irrefutable evidence and I'll believe you...

19. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Life of Brian :lesson:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

20. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    lol.
    Evidence of 'a man names Jesus' who had a band of followers and was crucified can be found in many other historical writings, not religious ones.
    People of that period did write to each other, soldiers to their supiriours (can we have a spell checker on this system please?) etc.
    For the vast majority of historians the FACT that Jesus was actually a person is not in doubt.
    Of course the question most people want to know is whether he was the son of God or not, and this is not the place to start convincing others of that.
    I'm anglican (church of England) and we usually like to do that sort of thing over tea and cakes.

21. dek1965

dek1965

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    mean't to say that "it potrayed the jews in a bad light" (as it did with the romans, but you don't hear them moaning), i dont think being portrayed in a "bad light" is the same as being anti semetic, if you think they both mean the same that's your problem, and my comment's was not racist at all, that again is down to your Interpretation

22. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    If it wasn't for science the Pope would of bet his life/belief on the fact the Turin shroud was really the face of Jesus. Now look, the holier than thou have suddenly all gone quiet.

What’s the point in believing in a faceless God that does nothing, and has done nothing in the history of man.

Religion is for people who just can't face the fact we are mortal creatures who cease to exist in a physiological manner when the cells in our brain die.

23. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    And stupidity is proof that some peoples brain cells die quicker than others :lesson:

24. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    For f:censored:cks sake its a film :lesson:

Chill dudes :beer:

25. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So says somebody that has never faced death.

26. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Don't we all face death?

27. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course we do...but not all of us FACE it nose to nose. If you did, you wouldn't want it. When I faced it, I found myself praying and I'm still here... :thumbsup:

Anyway - this is way :offtopic:

28. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is'nt it amazing how some people approach athism in an almost religious manner.
    I'm not the one being evangelical now.

29. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sorry to be OT but I hear the Canadian version has a full bitrate dts track, anyone heard this?

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    guys i think my post was about it being a "bad" film. i purposefully avoided slagging off the the jews the Christians, the blessed meek, or the peoples popular front of Judea. I cant comment on the reglious arguments as i'm not reglious i just think its a bad film and not worth the 10 that liam gave it.

as for my comment on misjuding the audience - how much more money would it have made if it had been in english?

Gary