The Passing Bells (BBC One)

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Five-part World War One drama The Passing Bells is a new BBC Worldwide & Polish co-production. The drama is told in five chronological parts spanning the years of the war from 1914 – 1918.

Written by Tony Jordan (Hustle, Life on Mars, By Any Means)
Tells the story of World War One through the eyes of two very ordinary young men who enlist in a war they expect will be over within months. As the conflict unfolds, so do the boys’ incredible stories. They grow up amid the horrors of the battlefield, lose friends, and find love. Although centred primarily on the Western Front, it also explores the global nature of the conflict, featuring Gallipoli, the battle of the Somme, the Eastern Front and the arrival of American Forces.

The story looks at all aspects of the war – from the families left behind to the strategic decisions by politicians and generals that led to unimaginable bloodshed and the tragedy of the trenches.

Tony Jordan;
“This is a hugely important project for British television in this, the centenary of the First World War, a conflict that shaped Europe as we know it today. It was always going to be vital to find a meaningful European partner for this project and working with [Poland’s national broadcaster] TVP is something [production company] Red Planet is very excited about.”

Starts Monday 3rd Nov BBC1 @ 1900

BBC - The Passing Bells - Media centre

I thought the trailer looked good and my sort of thing, but i'm put off by the 30 min run time and 7pm time slot. Maybe a bit soap like ? or maybe an honourable attempt to connect with younger viewers / school children.

I'll give it a go, though.

Fair play to the beeb, they really are broadcasting a lot of WW1 stuff for the centenary.

MB

Couldn't watch more than 10 mins, turned it off.

Way too syrupy.

Im still sticking with it, it's ok.

Is it aimed at a family audience i.e. reflecting 7pm slot?

My 6y old is interested in war stuff right now, but isn't a fan of "period drama" !

MB

Managed ten minutes of the romance / obvious piano soundtrack.

Reminded me of the sort of drama that used to be on Sunday tea time when I was a kid.

MB

Watched all the episodes. Enjoyed them for what they were at that earlier evening time of transmission.

Emotional ending
i was hoping the lad with the new baby would make it back, but both opposing lead soldier boys killed each other just before the war was over. Then we saw ghosts of dead soldiers walking into fields of poppies

It was the romance and dreams of getting back to their loved ones that kept most of the young lads from spiralling into despair.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom