1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Party R2 is it racist?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Setenza, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I've just purchased the R2 two disc set of "The Party". Let's get this straight from the beginning, I like this film a lot. Yes, it is very much a product of the sixties. Yes, it is self indulgent. Yes, it is an acquired taste. There doesn't appear to be any middle ground on this one. You either love it a or loathe it. I've watched it with people who've remained stoney faces the whole duration. I've also watched it and been in tears with those who find the embarrassing situations exquisitely funny.

But it would appear that some people think that Peter Sellers portayal of Hindu actor Harundi V Bakshi is racist. The assumption has been made that the culture and customs of India are object of derision. Or is it the old mentality that an actor cannot play a person of a different race to themselves?

If you watch this film the humour lies in the characters excessively good manners and his desire not to offend and embarass himself or others. It's what get him into all the absurd situations. Yes there is the comedy of slapstick but that is centred on the act and not the perpetrator. If anything, it is the Americans who are shown up to be rude, crass, bigots and that Mr Bakshi is a warm hearted individual with a much stronger sense of culture and self identity.

Quote:

"Who do you think you are coming ............"
    "In India we don't think who we are, we know".

Anyone else care to venture an opinion?

PS. Damn fine Mancini soundtrack.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,609
    My own personal opinion is having seen the film at least a couple of times is that it is no more racist than any of the Pink Panther films.
    I.e. not in the slightest and anyone who says they are has got caught up in the political correctness bandwaggon which at times goes well beyond common sense.

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I expect the same people also think that Goodness Gracious Me is racist & offending towards Indian people or Hindu's

4. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    p.s As an Indian Hindu myself I love the party and remember watching it for the first time with my Dad and we were :rotfl:

Bridy Num Num :laugh: