1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Panny Pw6 and the Scart Issues, Whats best to go for

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RustyH, Sep 15, 2004.

1. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, need your help guys, Im going to get the PW6 in the next few days from AV. Its comes with one free board in the price. I have been recommended to get the scart cause of my devices and a quintro, but I have heard the the scart board is so so poor, and thats putting a pause on things at the moment, till I get the best connections sorted.

Ok, I have the Panasonic DVD system (the one with the wooden front speakers), This has S-Videos out and a yellow output, which is just marked video out (not sure what this is called)

I have to get a freeview box, and looking at the Panasonic TUCT30, which I belive comes with 2 Scart and 2 RGB/Phono.

I may add a playstation or something, but it wont be yet, and by then there will probably be a play station 3 out!!!

What do you guys recommend, is scart the best route, or is there a better route that will give a much better quality.

Thanks for your help

2. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone???

3. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Route all your scart devices through the qintro, and then through a JS Tech RGB to VGA convertor, connecting that the the VGA input that comes as standard on the PW6.

Your DVD only had s-video and composite (not to be confused with component - which is much better!) - so instead of the scart board (which you'll not need if you conenct to the VGA) get the one with the s-video input. Or, if money allows, upgrade your DVD player to one with component out, and get a component board.

ZedZed

5. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    why does everyone get so down on the pana 6 scart board? is it really that bad?? the guys at av sales advised me to go with it, over a vga to rgb convertor as the difference is minimal and i wanted scart switching to work....

is it really that bad?

6. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No idea mate - I don't have one - just passing on the most popular point of view on this forum.

7. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ZedZed,

Its so annoying, that you have to buy a plasma at nearly 2000 pound of hard earned more, which you then expect to get and sit down, and watch, but nope, you have to by a big quitro box and almost £100, a TV tuner, and a JS Box and another stupid price. Like you say thats the best route, but all the hidden costs is pushing me to having the Samsung, only problem is, I no nowhere that has the samsung and pw6 side by side for comparision.....annoying.

rubberducker - I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone out there got the scart terminal board, and can make any verdicts on it???

So now Im stick in a tight gap, do I go for the Panny PW6 which with all the add one and need, will amount to £2000, or do I go for the Samsung PS42V4 thats is only £1699 and has a large array of inputs, DIne but is 1000 down on the 4000:1 contrast ratio of the Panny :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Has any one in the midlands got either screen i can coem and see in action??? Ive not even seen the PW6 in any shops

8. richywiseman

richywiseman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use the SCART on the PWD6 and I think it looks good, but I have had 4 years of watching a rear projection. So compared to that its good to me.

9. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    OK
    I think the stand/bracket is a rip off, I paid £56 for legs from RicherSound and now my
    PWD6 has arrived I find I could do without. 2 thin strips of wood screwed to a table
    with the plasma base between and a couple of tethers from the lifting handles (at top of plasma on each end) tied to a couple of rings in the wall would do a very nice job for about £5. I think I will fix a couple of tethers from the handles to the wall behind mine for safety anyway.

10. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RustyH,
    Hold on there dude. There may be a way out for you.
    Why not buy the screen from somewhere thats gives it to you without any boards for a cheaper price? If my memory serves me, Richer Sounds do them in-store for £1700.
    Ok, now get a Quintro for around £65 ( QED-uk.com have them for just over £60 ), and the JS converter for £127.

That makes £1889 in total.

Connect the Quintro to the VGA port on the PW6 ( via the JS thingy ) and then everything else to the quintro.
    Your S-Video DVD can also connect to the quintro, simply by getting a quality S-Video to Scart cable. The Quintro can switch some of its Scart inputs between RGB and S-Video.

That puts you a fair little chunk under £2k for the screen and all the connections you need.

A freeview box could be added for less than £100 easy.

More hassle obviously, as you've got to get everything from different sources. That'll probably push some delivery costs into the equation, but around the £2k mark.
    Not too bad really. :)

( ... to add. Dont mess around. Get a Panny. Ive been in your shoes. Messed around with the idea of an LG,Sammy or some other cheapy. Dont bother. I can promise you without a doubt the Panny with inspire you far more than any Samsung plasma.)

11. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but is it worth the hassle, or is it worth leaning toward the Samsung PS42V4??

Is it not possible to just connect my freeview and DVD to a 3 to 1 scart converter, which link three scarts to one (for under a tenner!!!) Or is it dangerour to have two input going in at the same time (which obviously I would not do, but if it happened by accident) That way I can switch the freeview box off and DVD on when i want to watch a dvd and the dvd off and freeview on when i want to watch TV???

12. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rusty,
    My panasonic blows me away. It did when I first demoed it. It has ever since.

I tested the Samsungs with my own Xbox and my own games. Games im very familiar with. Trust me. the difference to me is huge. And i mean HUGE.
    It may seem like more hassle now, but thats nothing compared the the grief when you get a sub-standard screen and realise you've got to stick with it for the next 5 years or so.

My work involves graphics for games and TV. Lots of 3D rendering and processing. Everything I own, that I display on my new Panny, looks better than it ever did before. Everything.
    I cannot express clearly enough just how breathtaking these Pannys can be.

What was you expecting to spend anyway?

13. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The scarrt board isn't that bad, but some criticise it as softening the picture slightly. Can't say I ever noticed myself when I was using mine. And, of course, it retains auto aspect ratio switching, which the RGB/VGA convertors dont. If you're looking for 100% picture performance go for the JS box. If you're willing to sacrifice a couple of percent for the convenience of auto aspect switching, go for the scart.

Same argument for the PWD6 or Samsung choice - Samsung has convenience and cost on it's side, the PWD6 has considerably better picture performance on it's side (I'd venture more than a few percent at that !).

The quintro seems optional to me - for the time being, couldn't you just use the pass-thru on the Freeview box (assuming you get one that has 2 scarts), so you'd only need a single scart on the panel ? (Or does s-video not work over Scart - can never remember that one).

HTH.

Cheers, Carl.

14. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Are you sure that bit works ? The PW6 will only accept VGA or YUV via it's HD15 input, not Scart RGB.

15. nibb

nibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok I have the Panny and I bought it from AV sales with the scart and the quintro and it worked and looked great.

I had a number of items to be connected to the scart input, DVD; DVD recorder; Sky+; video; European Satellite receiver, they all went via the quintro.

However, I then invested in a JS RGB to VGA converter and the difference is really noticeable!! You can see this by inputting the sky box directly via the second scart socket on the sky box to the scart board and viewing it on the split screen mode! The difference is considerable, you will really notice the increase in colour vitality through the VGA converter compared to the scart!

Being a techno freak I am now filling the third slot with a component board to connect my prog scan dvd player directly to the display.

Stick with the Panny mate you wont regret it, I didnt!!

Neil

16. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bongpig - Well I was looking at about £1700 - £1800......but if the panny is really worth the couple of hundred more, then I may as well go with that, like you say, it has to last 5 years or so.

cwick - My DVD has S-video and Normal Video (yellow plug) outputs, its the Yellow Video that works with Scart.

The Freeview box I was going to go for is the Panasonic TUCT30 (that will give me a full Panasonic system), this has the following Connections - Twin SCARTS, RF-in, RF-out and Audio Output. So to keep costs down, what option would be better.

Option 1: DVD to Freeview Box (via Scart), freeview box straight to scart input on plasma

Option 2: DVD to Freeview (Via Scart), Freeview into a JS, the JS in to Plasma

Option 3: DVD and Freeview in to Quintro, the quintro into plasma

If I went for option 1 or 2 and I wanted to add a games console, could I get a 2 to one scart cennection box, put the DVD and Games into the scart of the freeview box???

I cant really stretch to having a Quintro and JS

17. bodyfodder

bodyfodder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey :hiya:

can any of the panny 6 owners tell me how games consoles are look when they are fed to the screen via component but are not in progscan mode?

how good is the screens internal de-interlacing?

thanks

18. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rusty, like I said, get a Quintro & JS, but no boards on the Plasma. So the only input on the plasma will be the built in VGA.
    The JS will turn this into a quality RGB scart port which you can connect the Quintro to. Its simple. From there, everything else connects to the Quintro.
    Think about it. Why spend £130 on a scart board for your Panny, when you can spend £130 on a better scart socket. ( the JS )
    The quintro has enough inputs that you wont need to worry any more.
    And all thats at under £1900.

bodyfodder, I use my xbox via component using standard 480i. It looks excellent. It may as well be 480p, because I cant tell the difference.

19. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does the JS do exactly

The reason Im getting it from AV is cause I need to get finance for a tiny part of payment (spent the rest on a 20" plasma for my room!!!!) and with AV the Scart board comes free, thats why Im not getting it from richer (who dont do finance) I might see if I can not have the Scart board (£134) with the panny, and a super deal on the JS (£126) instead

20. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... rusty, could you live with a 37" screen?
    If so, you can get a Panny PA20 screen for well under £2k, and thats got everything built in just like the samsungs. Speakers, scarts, component, tuner. Its the same screen as a PW6 with all the extras. Its what I went for, and am very happy.

21. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a good screen, whats the price???

22. bongpig

bongpig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, comet were doing them for £1999 not too long ago. Somebody recently posted a link with a price as low as £1800.
    Problem is, if you want finance, you wont find these kinds of price.

Do yourself a favour. Get the PW6 from Av-sales. Get it with the scart board and buy a quintro from QED. You could always buy the JS converter later on.
    Whatever you do, dont buy a poorer screen for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

23. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what does the Js actually do??

Is the picture really alot better via VGA than Scart

24. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do you have to manuelly swirch the aspect ratio of every picture? is it impossible to get this automatically thru the vga? if so that could become irritating very quickly..

25. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont know all the technical side, such as aspect ratio, so Im glad you asked that, cause if this a problem through VGA then i would rather not go that route

26. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The VGA route doesn't support auto aspect ratio switching. To solve that you'll have to spend more money and buy one of those auto-aspect switches that are sold in the powerbuy forum.

27. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Why is triggering of aspect ratio by line 23 of the picture so badly supported? This would solve so many problems and allow aspect ratio switching with all sorts of connections. Is there something about the way that plasmas process pictures that prevents them from picking up a line 23 trigger?

28. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    No idea, but have always wondered. You'd imagine you could just map from the scart pin-8 switch to the components WSS on line 23, but nobody does. Then again, I've never come across, or noticed, any kit that claimed to support it either as an output or an input. Wierd .....

29. RustyH

RustyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys, thanks for all you help.

I have come up with two options now, so please let me know what you think the best route is.

Option 1:
    Panny PW6 Plasma with Scart Board - AV Sales £1850
    Panasonic TUCT 30 Freeview Box - £65
    Panasonic SCDT310 Home Theatre System - Already have
    Wall Bracket - £65

Total - £1980

Option 2:
    Panny PW6 Plasma, No Terminal Boards - NexNix - £1699
    JS RGB to Plasma Screen VGA - £127
    Panasonic TUCT 30 Freeview Box - £65
    Panasonic SCDT310 Home Theatre System - Already have
    Wall Bracket - £65

Total - £1956

What do you think.
    Also, will this work ok. My plan, to keep the price down, is to leave the quintro for now, and but the scart from the DVD player into one of the scarts of the TUCT30 (im presuming one is an input....correct??) Then the TUCT to the JS box and then in to the VGA of the plasma.
    If I do decide to get a playstation or something, then I could just get a cheaper manual scart switch (cause I have to get up to put a game in anyway, so pressing a switch wont be much more effort!!)

Will the DVD going through the TUCT30 have a poor effect on the Picture quality at all??

Thanks for your help guys

Russ

30. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I just bought the PWD6 + scart board + js box from av-sales
    I now regret wasting the money on the "free scart board"
    I find it total rubbish compared to the JS box which is totally ACE.
    (so SCART terminal board won't get used... any offers for it?? £100 delivered??)

Save the money and get option 2 from Nexnix, they don't force you to buy
    equipment you don't want! (not sure about freeview box tho)

PS
    you can buy a Quintro scart switcher for £60, still better than the "free terminal board" option